Personality Cafe banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a teacher who I suspect is INTJ, and we get on really well. In particular, we speak more or less as equals, and we're quite honest with each other about ourselves. One thing we don't speak of, of course, is power. It's quite funny. Do you think he's not aware of this when we're speaking? I doubt that, for someone as perceptive as he. There's no doubt of the hierarchy here. It's one thing we never talk about, regardless of how candid we are with each other. I find this really interesting, and I'm not sure what to make of it. Can people be completely honest with one another? INTJs, do you have similar experiences?

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I'm an INTJ. I'm also a manager, and most of my subordinates are INTJ. The power thing isn't as prevalent - they see the stress managing brings. Plus, the INTJs are also in no way cut out to be a manager, either because of inexperience, or because of lack of aptitude. Power isn't really discussed a lot. I just say I'm responsible, especially if things go pear-shaped - which is true. They also know I don't pull rank - if they have a better idea, they are right. I'm quite sure I was made a manager because I was the less bad of the candidates.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Yup. Exactly what Filo said. I report to an INTJ as well. Dude is as weird as I am but he tries a little harder to make friends.

I don't actually report to him though. He's the senior in our team and our manage is probably an ENTJ. I have a feeling he hates me, at least in the office. He's friendly enough if we bump into each other and talk about something that isn't work. He's not a person who takes change too readily, which is ironic because the goal of our whole section of the organization is change.

The INTJ is great however. I can joke with him about not doing work as I spend a lot of time at the pool table... I've automated a large portion of my job so I like to bounce ideas around in the old subconcious where I can't hear the two guys in the adjacent pretend they know something about hardware. He understands which is really cool that I have freedom to think the way I want.

With that kind of freedom though, you need to be able to produce which is probably the best thing. Things get done in our team. If you're full of sh**, you will get called out on it. At the same time, if your way adds value to the process, we're doing it that way.

INTJs as a whole are good leaders though. We easily recognise other people's aptitude and delegate appropriately. We don't micromanage too much and we empower our team to innovate. We're not the typical boss who pulls rank whenever we see a chance. Our goal is the result, not the recognition.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
I had an INTJ boss once - the first female INTJ I had ever met. We circled each other suspiciously for a while - "Who is this strange creature? How comes she seems to understand everything I say?" Then we got along great.

We never talked about power. She was in charge, I wasn't, we both respected that, but didn't really care about it much when trying to problem solve.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts