Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay, so, I have a certain view on life that's not really all that rigid. I mean, I see things as fluid and therefore, forever changing in form from one moment to the next. I look at time like that, as a river of entropy that changes things as moments go by, time being the experienced effects. This means I can look at things from different perspectives, and maybe even see where I have been wrong, or right, or both at the same time, relative to who's observing. This comes probably from seeing the world from the outside looking in, never quite fitting in with the status quo, because of the differences I've been told I have since childhood, either by trained Psychologists, or just as ridicule from assholes. I'll never forget the "just staring at you because you're a freak" incident from a whole class full of students when I was a child. Thing is though, before you roll your eyes, I am not saying I had the worst life, nor that what I experienced was a bad thing, because it wasn't. I want anyone suffering in their lives, be it because others don't understand them, or they're going through a crisis, to know that things do get better. And to know that what you have gone through will give you a better understanding of yourself, and of others, though, sometimes others make it difficult.

When talking to other people, most will have certain beliefs, and they won't want to change that. Even I'm guilty of that despite having a somewhat fluid view of reality. We're all guilty of our own preconceived notions. If you talk to a person and they say there's something wrong with you, or call you stupid, or retard, or tell you to kill yourself, don't let it hurt you. What they think, and what they believe in, doesn't define you. You define you. You, and the people that care about YOU. Even if you don't think that others care, that doesn't matter. There's always yourself, and your opinion is as valid as anyone else's. The people who don't like you, or mock you along with others, what do they have in life? If they haven't got enough going on in their lives to occupy their minds with more important matters, aren't they the losers? Forgive them, even if you have moments of anger, forgive them and be free. Let them hate you and if they confront you just state where they are wrong, be the bigger person, and walk away. I haven't always been able to do that, sometimes I've given into my anger, and that has only attracted more pathetic people, like flies to shit, to ridicule me, and that has been my mistake. But, the thing I said about being fluid connects well to this point: we can change for the better and do more with our lives than giving into our hate and anger over the awkward, closed minded nature of some people. To give in, means they win. If you can laugh it off and enjoy your life and the friends you do have, or with friends you will make at times later in your life, then you win. Be you part of the lgbt community, on the autistic spectrum, dealing with a disorder, or happen to be a minority in any other way, remember that you are unique as a person, and that someone out there knows what you're going through. Someone cares. Those who don't, well, they don't really matter. What gives them the right to look down, when we're all connected? Enjoy life, and enjoy Summer when it comes, peace be with you.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Wow, that was quite a rant.

Really to simplify, all one needs to do is remember they are not responsible for other peoples feelings and reactions and beliefs.
Everyone is only responsible for their own.

Takes the pressure right off that does.

For example If someone wants to call you a freak, that's theirs to own. It doesn't make you a freak.
It says more about them, their limited belief system, than it does about you.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I guess it comes down to how you look at things, I'm a fan of NBC's Hannibal and a couple of things Hannibal says are along the lines of, "There's nothing wrong with being weird" and "I'm not interested in sheep, only eating them." I probably shouldn't have a serial killer as a role model but I guess if you are a minority and different in some way you can choose to look at that as a bad thing or a good thing, or have a more neutral observation and accept it for what it is. I think civilisation is becoming more diverse and understanding but I could be wrong, when I went to school we were encouraged to embrace different people and cultures, I hope it is and I hope people that are different don't let others shame them into hiding, or feel pressured into conformity. I also think sometimes depression sufferers can stigmatise themselves more than others do.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@Mockingbird27 I think the fascination with Hannibal is the same fascination people would have with Satan as depicted in John Milton's Paradise Lost. You know that you can't exactly trust the character, but he makes you question your morals, and raises the question "what if everyone else is wrong and I'm right?" I kind of felt the same about Dexter Morgan from the novels, not so much the tv series. In the books, a lot of his written thoughts and observations, his dry humour, reminded me all too much of myself and how I think about people. The only difference was that I have no urge to kill people. At the same time, I know what it's like to not be one of them. I find a lot of posers wearing the label of "different", when they choose to do something like dress in Goth clothes then whine about that, or Rockers complaining about the same shit. Thing is, when I was a kid, and to this day, I was and am a real "freak", or so I've been told I am many, many, many, many, many times.

I grew up with Dyspraxia, which basically made me seem like a retard because I lacked the motor coordination skills to tie my shoe laces until I turned 12, then after that it was still always difficult, and only in my early 20's could I tie my laces without feeling like I wanted to fucking scream, you know? Even despite my motor coordination disorder, I did better than most in school, never ended up in remedial/foundation classes or any of that stuff because it was obvious when I was old enough to articulate myself that I wasn't slow, that and my actual diagnosis helped explain my difficulties with stuff like handwriting and my eye keeping track of what's on the page.

Hell, I was in advanced/honours English and did the same level for Biology in my final exams and passed, same with Geography, I loved that stuff. I was also ashamed of this for years and I let it destroy me on a lot of levels. Now, I'm not ashamed, now I'm a man, and I know I'll do what I need to do to inspire other people with my problems, problems that "faux alt" people like Goths and Rockers would laugh at me about. Honestly I hate those who TRY to be different, being truly different causes a lot of pain, it's not a fashion trend.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts