Personality Cafe banner

Dealing with Emotions

[Enneagram Type 3] 
5K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  can 
#1 ·
Hello, fellow 3's! I wanted to hear some of your opinions on dealing with emotions, when they spring up. I know I personally, when really stressed out, become overwhelmed by everything I've suppressed over a period of time. I don't know how to handle my emotions and everything seems to set me off into either anger or depression and it's out of control. I don't even know: is this typical 3 behavior?

Long story short: Do you experience emotions under a lot of stress? If yes, how do you manage them? Thank you :proud:

#3 ·
Hello, fellow 3's! I wanted to hear some of your opinions on dealing with emotions, when they spring up. I know I personally, when really stressed out, become overwhelmed by everything I've suppressed over a period of time. I don't know how to handle my emotions and everything seems to set me off into either anger or depression and it's out of control. I don't even know: is this typical 3 behavior?
Doesn't everyone is like this under different level of pressure?

Long story short: Do you experience emotions under a lot of stress?
Yes.

If yes, how do you manage them? Thank you :proud:
I take longer time to sleep and withdraw from people until I manage to control my emotions in a calm manner.

Reactions: mpobrien
#4 ·
This is how I tackle it:

If you end up at the DON'T WORRY: Blast some good music and treat yourself to something you like (ice-cream/a hot bath/hang out with friends) and do something else more productive.

If you end up at the YES: Find solutions, and deal with the problem. You can ask someone for advice. Talking to someone nonjudgmental whom you trust is always helpful :) Or if you don't like the idea, write it down - it helps, trust me. It's no good to keep emotions bottled up.

#6 ·
Being an INFP, I'm allways feeling emotions pretty intensely, but when I'm under alot of stress or depressed or something, I usually withdraw. I try to sleep it off. Sleep usually helps. Other than that, I try to take my mind of of things, watch tv or a movie, read a book, go have a drink with a friend ect.

That being said, I usually do better under pressure, I get like a kind of rush from it. But other times, when it's not a deadline or somehting, and it's actual stress like a shitty circumstance, then I use one of the above mentioned methods.

#7 ·
My significant other is a 3w2 and he's always screaming at people on the phone. He also is constantly complaining about being cold, hot, itchy; any little sensation is a major problem that needs to be tackled right away. I try to have the heat/air on when he comes home. He has much stronger emotions than I and it gets scary. He has a very firm sense of right and wrong, that he is very vocal about. He publicly cries whenever he is "touched". And tells me that he's "depressed" after not having sex for three days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.