Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...and talk and talk and talk and talk and talk and talk...

Quite frankly, I can't stand this. I've realized lately that 3 of my friends are like this. These people don't even pause for me to respond to what they are saying. There is no flow of conversation; just being talked at. I end up extremely drained after spending even a couple minutes with them. I think it's because it's too much to take in it once, I tend to pick apart what people say piece by piece, and when it moves too quickly with little thought, it's overwhelming. And it's the overall lack of concern for the other person. I've never gotten even a "How are you?" from someone like this.

Do you know people like this? Do you have the same reaction? Have you found a way to cope with them? I'm starting to think I really shouldn't have them in my life; I don't really benefit from being around them.

Please note: I've known extraverts like this and I've known introverts like this. I don't believe this is a type related thing.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Those are my favourite kind of people!! keeps the conversation flowing and I don't have to worry about awkward pauses or running out of things to say because they just bring up random stuff anyway. So long as they allow you to speak as well and listen to what you say.

Where as Quiet guy attempting to talk with other quiet guy generally doesn't work out too well in my personal experience.

·
Banned
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those are my favourite kind of people!! keeps the conversation flowing and I don't have to worry about awkward pauses or running out of things to say because they just bring up random stuff anyway. So long as they allow you to speak as well and listen to what you say.

Where as Quiet guy attempting to talk with other quiet guy generally doesn't work out too well in my personal experience.
I usually like talkative people since, as you said, two quite people tends to create an awkward silence. I consider this different from being talkative however; I'm referring to people who do not pause, and do not listen to the other person. They literally talk to hear themselves talk.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I know what you mean. Doesn't sound like you get much out of those friendships. Myself, I'd find a way to avoid friends like that. But people who talk like that, I seldom attract them as friends in the first place. Because from the first time they meet me I give them clear signals that I don't want to listen to them. I don't think I'm rude, but I definitely don't encourage them.

·
Banned
1,483 Posts
I think I'm surrounded by quite a few of these incessant-talking people. One happens to be my sister. I was on the phone with one for an hour this week (my daughter's dance teacher, asked a simple question, didn't get a very simple answer). I have closed the door to a couple of others who were just not only incessant-talkers but NEGATIVE/energy-drainers. I am better at not picking up the phone or agreeing to get together with people like this unless I have the energy reserves and truly want to talk to them. But once I'm in the situation I feel oh-so-trapped!

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
I'm still trying to figure out how to make a life-sized bobble head of myself so that I can leave a facsimile of me that appears to be smiling and nodding while Chatty Kathy prattles on without stopping for breath. And I go have a beer.

If I ever do figure it out, I'll share my findings. :)

·
Registered
778 Posts
I'm one of "those" people. But it comes in very handy for my career, I sell cars. I just talk to people all day and get paid, go figure! I love my job. Lol

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I have one manager like this at the store I work at. She talks and talks and talks and when you try to get away, she follows you! I do really love talking to her as we share a similar interest in genre preference when it comes to movies and books. When I can't shake her, I casually change the subject to something I'm actually interested in. Today, I called our store to break her away from another manager she was talking to who was trying to leave.

I know it seems slightly manipulative but honestly, it's for the preservation of my own sanity!

·
Registered
960 Posts
It seems narcissistic. :blushed:

I acknowledge I do it at times. But it's not an all-the-time thing and it's not with everyone. I'm sure we all do it from time to time, in a time of need.

(Let's see how many TIMES I can use the word TIME in this post, shall we?)

So, since I know I'm not perfect and I can be a bit self absorbed at times, I tend to allow for it. HOWEVER, I too find it draining and difficult. I know someone who talks at me always. There is truly no such thing as "two-way" conversation with him. He is extremely inconsiderate and demeaning and seemingly oblivious to that fact.

The way I cope is, when I realize I've had enough, I allow myself to walk away, especially after I've given non verbal (and, at times verbal) cues to indicate I either need to go or I need to state something in return.

·
Banned
327 Posts
If it's really bad, just zone out. They'll get the idea eventually....hopefully.

·
Registered
278 Posts
My grandma is exactly like this haha... she's in her 80s and also has some short-term memory loss problems. Not as bad as Alzheimer's disease though. Anyways, she often repeats the same stories or rants at you word for word maybe 5 different times in say 15 minutes that you talk to her. I often get drained and feel trapped when I do visit her and so I don't really get much out of the relationship anymore or much substance when talking. When I do try and ask different questions or go off on tangents with her about other subjects, she often avoids the question and asks like she never heard it, and then goes back on her same one-sided talk.

She also almost never asks how you are doing or never tries to engage you to talk. It just seems her interest in you is superficial and the focus is just getting her words out. I don't really know how to deal with this without being offensive or guilt tripped when seeing her, and so I often just don't get any motivation to go out of my way for her. Kind of sad but I'm the only grandchild in the area still that can really see her at least once a week or more. I can imagine Alzheimers just being a nightmare for others trying to have motivation for visiting relatives.

·
Banned
1,742 Posts
I've known tons of past friends like that. Note the term "past".

Reactions: Curiously

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I avoid people like that as much as possible. In addition, highly talkative plus not very intelligent is a particularly irksome combination. For certain, if I were ever that talkative I would make damn sure I was saying something people actually wanted to listen to.

I'm one of "those" people. But it comes in very handy for my career, I sell cars. I just talk to people all day and get paid, go figure! I love my job. Lol
Yes, but ESTPs selling cars are interesting. I enjoy listening outwardly to whatever they're saying while simultaneously observing their sales technique. That's usually fairly entertaining.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Yeah, ESTPs have a skill for that. The ones I know also have a skill for reading how their audience is feeling and when it's time to wrap up. Different thing than the ones with no clue.

Reactions: Berdudget
1 - 20 of 37 Posts