Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are you in college now or did you graduate?

Whats your age (optional)?

Are you in a career related to your degree? If not, then what are you doing?

What is your goal with a degree in English?

Do you think you made the right choice by studying English (and why please)? If it wasn't the right choice, then what would you rather have done?

Thank You!

Sincerely,

WiscoExplorer
Eric (24) and thinking of finishing the BA in English.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
I'm not an English major, but I wish I had double majored. It would have given me a lot more options career-wise. I'm a creative writing minor currently-- I would have majored but we don't have a program. When I was younger I always wanted to be an editor or work at a publishing company.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
it certainly gives you very diverse options. is it one of the most employable majors? no... BUT i would say it allows you the option of working in a larger amount of fields than most other majors. You could be an editor, copywriter, technical writer, teacher, go to law school, work in marketing or communications, etc...

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm in school now as an English major, It's defiantly not my favorite subject of all time, but its defiantly the right path for my intended career. I eventually want to be a guidance counselor but I figured that I'll probably have to teach before any of that can happen. I chose English because all of my other interests are way to competitive (i.e. history) and/or just way too impractical. I wouldn't finish it without a goal set in mind. There are way too many people with degrees in English working in the fast food industry.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I'm in college now.

27 years old

I tutor English privately and I work a fulltime job not related to my major.

Through my time in college I'm seeking to refine my writing craft. With my degree, I look forward to teaching English, writing, and literature classes.

I do think I made the right choice, but I may broaden my focus as I continue to incorporate some additional subjects of interest; for example, doing an interdisciplinary program.

I love writing. I love books. I love reading. I love helping people with their own reading and writing. And I'm pretty good at doing these things. These are all reasons why I feel this is the best choice for me.

Cheers!

·
Registered
802 Posts
Are you in college now or did you graduate?

Whats your age (optional)?

Are you in a career related to your degree? If not, then what are you doing?

What is your goal with a degree in English?

Do you think you made the right choice by studying English (and why please)? If it wasn't the right choice, then what would you rather have done?

Thank You!

Sincerely,

WiscoExplorer
Eric (24) and thinking of finishing the BA in English.
I finished my BA in English in 2008 and am currently finishing an MA in English.

I'm 24.

Right now I work as a graduate teaching assistant. I teach two classes of Freshman English. When I finish my degree this coming May, I hope to get a job teaching composition at a college or junior college.

I definitely made the right choice to study English. To me, literature is where all other knowledge comes together. The more you know, the better lit student you will be. Literary theory comes from philosophy, sociology, psychology, gender studies, anthropology, etc., so it's a way to learn a lot more than just how to read closely or write well.

I would suggest you pair it with a strong minor, however, such as a foreign language or something in computer science (think online publishing). A minor will help you gain the "real world" experience you need to land a job, while your English degree with teach you critical thinking and communication skills.

Good luck, Eric!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts