Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You need to do something. And I imagine you've known you've needed to do this even though you might not have firmly realized it.

You two type groups need to come together and form a cohesive topic/post about how one can tell if they are INFP or INFJ (and also give signs that they might not be either... which I'm certain other types can help with, including us ENFPs and ENFJs). I'm not sure how often any of you go to the What is my personality type? Forum, but let me assure you... there is rarely not someone insisting they are INFJ or INFP, and stumped as to what the difference it. Yes, they can study functions more, yes they can always go to Vicky Jo's lovely and multifaceted website, yes they can start their own topics... But I think a well thought out comparison between the two types constructed with the input of people of both types could be a lot of use to them.

I'm thinking there would have to be an organized one of you willing to organize it (I am willing, but I'm not the most familiar with the posting functions here, and I'm also outside your two groups so I don't want to speak for you all), a lot of discussion about the true differences between the types, maybe some testimonies about finding type and what *clicked* for you! and just some evidence-based but tactile examples of how one can tell they are not INFP and not INFJ, or that they are INFJ or INFP. I see this topic being like a basic comparison - perhaps in some of your own words, perhaps just an accurate and already existing one, whatever you decided - with some unique examples you know personally about knowing type difference.

Of course, and in spite of my perhaps aggressive presentation, this is all just a suggestion. Of course people would continue asking somewhat silly questions and being confused, but I think this could stem at least a bit of the confusion that floats around the forum.

What think you all? Is it something you would be willing to work on and discuss? I apologize again for my aggression... I just think it could help a lot, and could be a real resource to the countless people trying to find their true type.

·
Registered
993 Posts
people not understanding if they are either INFP or INFJ are just the same people who only read the descriptions.

Fi and Ni is worlds apart it is almost impossible to not know the difference.

also, if you are an INFP then you will most likely never experience Ni since it is a shadow function for INFP's and that alone tells you what you are.

i see no reason why ANYONE should confuse INFP with an INFJ.

·
Registered
9,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
people not understanding if they are either INFP or INFJ are just the same people who only read the descriptions.

Fi and Ni is worlds apart it is almost impossible to not know the difference.

also, if you are an INFP then you will most likely never experience Ni since it is a shadow function for INFP's and that alone tells you what you are.

i see no reason why ANYONE should confuse INFP with an INFJ.
I know it doesn't make sense, it should just work out... but it happens. Now we know I'm an ENFJ, and definitely (without a doubt) an Fe-dominant, but for an eternity (a few years) I was convinced I was pure Fi, because I could read the descriptions but it was hard to tell which functions I actually used and what I didn't. I was between INFP and INFJ for a while... and really, it's not just me. As I mentioned in my OP, Vicky Jo made an entire ginormous blog devoted to INFP vs INFJ, and even just casually, you wouldn't believe how many posts you'll find on Tumblr saying "I don't know if I'm INFP or INFJ!"

Maybe logically it shouldn't be that way. We should just get the functions, know what we use, figure it out on our own. But the fact is it's not that easy, there are a lot of examples displaying how it's not that easy, and a lot of people have trouble identifying which functions they use... particularly in regards of determining "if they're INFP or INFJ".

Reactions: Aletheia

·
Registered
993 Posts
I know it doesn't make sense, it should just work out... but it happens. Now we know I'm an ENFJ, and definitely (without a doubt) an Fe-dominant, but for an eternity (a few years) I was convinced I was pure Fi, because I could read the descriptions but it was hard to tell which functions I actually used and what I didn't. I was between INFP and INFJ for a while... and really, it's not just me. As I mentioned in my OP, Vicky Jo made an entire ginormous blog devoted to INFP vs INFJ, and even just casually, you wouldn't believe how many posts you'll find on Tumblr saying "I don't know if I'm INFP or INFJ!"

Maybe logically it shouldn't be that way. We should just get the functions, know what we use, figure it out on our own. But the fact is it's not that easy, there are a lot of examples displaying how it's not that easy, and a lot of people have trouble identifying which functions they use... particularly in regards of determining "if they're INFP or INFJ".
well yea , i have to admit i missed out on something.

you see, the thing is that the most effective way is the PerC cognitive functions quiz.........

a lot of people go on different sites like 16personalities.com which is actually pretty bad at telling what type you are.......

i think most of the problems is also the test. people need to take the PecC cognitive functions quiz, it is more true to self.

·
Plumcot
2,186 Posts
The only thing I can think of asking someone who is having trouble seeing if they're an INFJ or INFP is well, how do you react to something that is a conflicting opinion?
Rather, how do you react when someone has a differing opinion?
Frankly I think the difference is that one tries to create a harmonous group and the other wants to improve things that they feel are important or are worth the time and effort.

·
Registered
9,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well yea , i have to admit i missed out on something.

you see, the thing is that the most effective way is the PerC cognitive functions quiz.........

a lot of people go on different sites like 16personalities.com which is actually pretty bad at telling what type you are.......

i think most of the problems is also the test. people need to take the PecC cognitive functions quiz, it is more true to self.
I suppose that is true... The functions test here did accurately define me as ENFJ, with a teeny chance of being INFJ. It still would have confused me if I wasn't currently confident in my functions - I also scored fairly high on Fi with that test - but I can see where you would find that a good alternative.

I just know... and maybe this is an Ni thing (most my NFP friends found their type, went "oh that's me, those are my functions" and took their labels without a second evaluation) but I needed more evidence than a test to prove to me I was what I was. It needed to make sense to me. I think an easily accessible topic like this could help it make more logical sense to people, plug it in how it works, not just go by a test.

But yeah, I do agree with you that PerC has a pretty good cognitive functions quiz (as well as the best Enneagram quiz, I think). I just know that not everyone's going to end their search with one (or even a thousand) quiz results. It's got to click, and make sense internally for some folks.

·
Registered
9,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The only thing I can think of asking someone who is having trouble seeing if they're an INFJ or INFP is well, how do you react to something that is a conflicting opinion?
Rather, how do you react when someone has a differing opinion?
Frankly I think the difference is that one tries to create a harmonous group and the other wants to improve things that they feel are important or are worth the time and effort.
This is the type of thing I was talking about :) There are a lot of little scattered things like this throughout a ton of topics - "Fi does this while Fe does this," "you know an INFJ when," "INFPs would never" - but I think it would be nice to have at least a collection of differences people know for sure (if not an entire, organized topic about it).

I know this has been attempted before, but it never quite... works, you know? But I think that might be because we are unaware of how much people depend on these little typing tips.

But yeah, I agree with that. Not an INFJ, but I definitely go for group harmony above all else when there's conflict (even when I disagree in class, I'll say my point but try to merge the ideas so we aren't like totally disagreeing, even on a stupid thing like which of Homer's epics is better (lol like I mean we know it's the Iliad, but...)

·
Registered
993 Posts
I suppose that is true... The functions test here did accurately define me as ENFJ, with a teeny chance of being INFJ. It still would have confused me if I wasn't currently confident in my functions - I also scored fairly high on Fi with that test - but I can see where you would find that a good alternative.

I just know... and maybe this is an Ni thing (most my NFP friends found their type, went "oh that's me, those are my functions" and took their labels without a second evaluation) but I needed more evidence than a test to prove to me I was what I was. It needed to make sense to me. I think an easily accessible topic like this could help it make more logical sense to people, plug it in how it works, not just go by a test.

But yeah, I do agree with you that PerC has a pretty good cognitive functions quiz (as well as the best Enneagram quiz, I think). I just know that not everyone's going to end their search with one (or even a thousand) quiz results. It's got to click, and make sense internally for some folks.
well the thing for me was that before i took the PerC cognitive functions quiz i always thought i was an INTP based on 2 other mainstream personality sites.

then i took the PerC cognitive functions test with a mindset that i was an INTP and the result was still that i was an INFP. It was then that i realize what i really was.

the reason i got INTP was because of my beliefs at that time.

When taking the quiz people need to be true to themselves they need to answer as how it really is, not how they want/believe it to be.

This may take some time to think about .........

anyways in my personal opinion, it is virtually impossible for people to confuse INFP with INFJ.......

i don't even know how that happens.......

people need to stop taking those test from those mainstream personality sites, in my opinion it confuses a lot of people

·
Registered
9,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for pointing that out :) is seen it before, but had forgotten a little.

However, what I'm talking about isn't quite like that? I was thinking more a compilation of personal experiences with finding type and knowing the differences between the two types. I know that hard stuff about the functions just jumbled me up more, but little tidbits like what Slagasaurus mentioned above really helped me get on the right track.

·
Registered
9,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1,239 Posts
Thank you for pointing that out :) is seen it before, but had forgotten a little.

However, what I'm talking about isn't quite like that? I was thinking more a compilation of personal experiences with finding type and knowing the differences between the two types. I know that hard stuff about the functions just jumbled me up more, but little tidbits like what Slagasaurus mentioned above really helped me get on the right track.
Do you mean something similar to that big 27 subtypes post on the enneagram forum?
Or more like a step by step thing?

·
Registered
9,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Do you mean something similar to that big 27 subtypes post on the enneagram forum?
Or more like a step by step thing?
Not even like that, no. I mean just a comparison with examples of how you know. "INFPs do this, while the INFJ would do this instead." Tips like that. If that makes sense? Most people have an idea of the functions, and there are plenty of resources for that, but not as many where there is input from both INFPs and INFJs about what separates them.

1,239 Posts
Not even like that, no. I mean just a comparison with examples of how you know. "INFPs do this, while the INFJ would do this instead." Tips like that. If that makes sense? Most people have an idea of the functions, and there are plenty of resources for that, but not as many where there is input from both INFPs and INFJs about what separates them.
I see, but the problem at the heart of it is that INFPs don't understand INFJs and INFJs don't understand INFPs.

INFJs would say they're the most emotional, empathetic, deep and mystical type, and INFPs would probably say the same about themselves. That is why personal experience isn't too useful in this situation, it would be very hard to achieve a set of experiences and introspections from both sides that didn't conflict.

Ultimately Ni and Fi are almost unexplainable, and that fact in itself is why they are confused, if people delve a little deeper into them and into Ne>Si vs Fe>Ti it becomes more obvious.

The problem is really you can only ever truly understand one or the other, not both which has lead to a lot of inaccurate descriptions.

So I think maybe a big article with a hybrid of functional analysis and experiences would maybe prove more useful. Just my three cents :)

·
Registered
9,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Alright. You might turn out to be right, @pearslug, and really I hadn't seen it that way before. I'm obviously not either of these types, but I mean... I couldn't even compare myself to any other type except through description ("my friend is very outwardly organized while..." that sort of thing), so I get why this wouldn't work from that insight.

But what if like... We had a thread about Misconceptions in typing? Like there's that stereotype that INFJs telling the future, I'm sure there are INFJs who agree that they sort of can and INFJs who agree they cannot. Or even like how INFPs are supposed to be selfish, there could be quotes from INFPs like "what" and quotes from other types (I'd be willing to volunteer) about how awesome INFPs are.

Maybe something like that - something more focused to a central idea, especially - could be more helpful?

I just know when I was type shopping I would've loved a thread like that... but alas, there were none :/ I had to jump around from topic to topic, and all the contradictory information I got really confused me.

1,239 Posts
Alright. You might turn out to be right, @pearslug, and really I hadn't seen it that way before. I'm obviously not either of these types, but I mean... I couldn't even compare myself to any other type except through description ("my friend is very outwardly organized while..." that sort of thing), so I get why this wouldn't work from that insight.

But what if like... We had a thread about Misconceptions in typing? Like there's that stereotype that INFJs telling the future, I'm sure there are INFJs who agree that they sort of can and INFJs who agree they cannot. Or even like how INFPs are supposed to be selfish, there could be quotes from INFPs like "what" and quotes from other types (I'd be willing to volunteer) about how awesome INFPs are.

Maybe something like that - something more focused to a central idea, especially - could be more helpful?

I just know when I was type shopping I would've loved a thread like that... but alas, there were none :/ I had to jump around from topic to topic, and all the contradictory information I got really confused me.
Ok, I don't really know what you mean, but yeah I agree contradictory information is really what causes the confusion.

·
Registered
9,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I referenced that in my OP, actually :) I'm fairly familiar with it. I'm thinking of something that would be a little like that, but also... different? I'm thinking more something with a lot of different voices about the comparisons, as opposed to just the voice of an INFJ talking about the differences.

Thank you for the resource, though! Hopefully it will be able to help those who haven't already been introduced to it.

Reactions: Fibonacci
1 - 20 of 25 Posts