Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was having a conversation earlier with a friend about this. My logic was that eternal life (Life after death, I mean) would be incredibly boring, for you'd run out of things to do and you'd have the knowledge that you had forever to do them. In my opinion, life is only worth living because it's so short; I believe this is just a pit stop between two long periods of nothingness. Life is designed so one can accomplish as much as they can, learn as much as they can, and do as much as they can in this life, not look forward to a possible afterlife, in my opinion. And that's what makes it so fun; knowing that you have a limited amount of time granted to you to accomplish these things. If I had an eternity, life would become rather dull because what would honestly be the point of living if you could never die? To me, I think death is a beautiful thing that's just as necessary as life is. I plan on doing and experiencing as much as I possibly can, then happily accepting the end when my time comes, going into the ground, and giving my body to the earth to help new life form.

Her logic was that she would be incredibly upset and angry if this was all we got because it's so awful. I disagree with this, as I truly believe, although life is whatever one makes of it, one should improve this world to make it a friendlier and better place because it's all we get. Essentially, I view it as something that can be improved and beautiful because it's so short while she views it as a waiting period in constant decline before she enters eternal bliss.

What are your views on the matter? If given the choice would you choose death or eternal life? Do you believe in an afterlife? Do you think nothing is worse than death without an afterlife?

·
Registered
544 Posts
I'd choose death, for similar reasons as you.

The idea of eternal life sounds very boring, and this was a problem I had with the concept of "heaven" where there was no hatred, sorrow, or pain. Which led me to think that if all the negatives were gone, then there would also be no love, happiness, and pleasure. There must be one side in order to have the other. Love is relative and can only be understood if one also understands hatred. And so on and so forth. So, to me, heaven sounded like the equivalent of limbo...or some really horrible office party that never seems to end. There can be no growth in such a place. No improvement or change. No action at all. If eternity in an afterlife meant we were all perfect, then that's even worse! Everything would become the same!

If I had to have my "essence"/"spirit" live forever, I'd rather it be recycled for eternity through endless bodies. Maybe one lifetime I'd be a tree, the next a human, the next a potted plant hurtling through the sky...

·
Registered
521 Posts
Time is a funny thing because depending on your expected lifespan your perception of it is going to change. Back in the Old West days or whatever, when people died in their 40s, I'd be considered to be of middle age (23). My priorities would probably be different, others' views of me would be different (i.e. a child might see me and think "He is like my father" instead of "He is like my big brother"), and I might even feel wizened or experienced observing the standards around me. It's kind of like when you're a high school senior and you feel like you have some sort of privileged standing, but then you step back and realize there's essentially no difference between you and the rest of the kids.

But anyway, if at the peak of your current life you were suddenly granted immortality, it'd be strange for a long while, but you'd eventually adapt somewhat to the infiniteness of time. You'd wake up one day and realize several years passed in the span of time you used to consider mere months (think a sort of macrocosm of stopping to read an article and realizing an hour passed). Smaller events that you now concern yourself with would become insignificant in the scheme of things, and you'd instead start to notice larger trends. There are scary implications to this (you may feel less attachment to individual people and start to regard them more like blips on the radar) but also some fascinating ones (more complicated processes that happen over larger lengths of time).

There are also some funny specific cases if everyone was aware of your immortality. You might be able to identify certain misconceptions about history (...or even create some of your own depending on how you look at it). You could be some kind of sage of sorts.

All in all, I don't think I could pass up an opportunity for an experience like that. It could quite possibly get tiring, but you could always go into some sort of stasis and come back later into a fresh new existence and see if that livens things up. Might have to wait a while for things to reassemble themselves if the world ends, though.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
There is nothing after death.

The reason I do not believe in the religious view of an 'afterlife' heavenly or earthly or reincarnative is two fold:-

1) Why is my life more imprtant than my cat's? - That looks like a joke, but is a very serious point. So I'm going to heaven (or hell!) and my cat will just die? He, and all other creatures possess exactly the same life force as humans. Why are we so bloody important?

2) Ah!! But me and my cat may be reincarnated into different species and forms?
Pointless, I'm afraid. In 4.2 billion years our sun will die and the earth will be vapourised. NOTHING can stop this. It is part of the 'life cycle' of stars. So being endlessly reincarnated can only end one way in the long term.

I have no concsiousness of anyhting before I was born. Death will be the same as that. Unfortunate, but it makes me appreaciate this brief existence.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I'd choose death, for similar reasons as you.

The idea of eternal life sounds very boring, and this was a problem I had with the concept of "heaven" where there was no hatred, sorrow, or pain. Which led me to think that if all the negatives were gone, then there would also be no love, happiness, and pleasure. There must be one side in order to have the other. Love is relative and can only be understood if one also understands hatred. And so on and so forth. So, to me, heaven sounded like the equivalent of limbo...or some really horrible office party that never seems to end. There can be no growth in such a place. No improvement or change. No action at all. If eternity in an afterlife meant we were all perfect, then that's even worse! Everything would become the same!

If I had to have my "essence"/"spirit" live forever, I'd rather it be recycled for eternity through endless bodies. Maybe one lifetime I'd be a tree, the next a human, the next a potted plant hurtling through the sky...
Well, for the OP, I believe in Heaven, and therefore Eternal life. I am currently writing a theory/law which will explain everything, but here are my opinions:

according to your second paragraph you say that one only understands love if they understand hatred. I totally agree.

The thing is, God created heaven based on a perfect structure, with perfect movement, of perfect essence, and it was too perfect. You can imagine this perfection in the Greek letter "Gamma" ( Γ ), but with perfection came imperfection, which you can identify as the letter "Zeta" or 7. It is because the perfection of Gamma is really the essence of a perfect structure, but it is supporting or containing nothing. The only way it can contain something is by perceiving a fourth line or what we would identify as "Delta" (∆). This was trapped perfection and it did not perceive God who surrounded it. This is the "boring heaven" you speak of.

So God attempted to define Delta as more than it was and entrapped it in a circle. This is how we get the essences of 5-9 or Epsilon-Theta. When we perceive these essences, we perceive the tenth essence, Iota (I). By perceiving Iota, we are able to perceive the 11th-19th essences or Kappa-Rho, and the 0 "Chaotic" essence. By perceiving all these essences, we are able to perceive the 20th essence "Sigma" (∑), or otherwise known as "Creation," and therefore, through this, perceive the 21st and 22nd essences (Tau and Upsilon). Through these essences we perceive the 23rd-25th essences (Phi,Chi,Psi), or the "psychic" essences. By utilizing the psychic essences, one perceives what God was, or the 8th essence (Heth). However, the final essence we perceive through all these utilities is the 26th essence, or what we understand about God as "Omega" (Ω).

So, you are perceiving Heaven correctly on very base terms (through the ∆ essence or utility). But that is heaven as it was. Try expanding your triangle of thought into a circle of thought. :wink:

God realized that his Heaven was not Heaven, because it was only composed of the Gamma Γ essence. God tried to build the Gamma essence in the shape of a Triangle but its sides were uneven (if you perceive the symbol Gamma as a triangle, it is a "right" triangle). God then tried to build a Circle around the triangle, but the triangle could not be contained by the Circle unless God bent the shape of it into an Oval. Thus, Heaven became skewed - it was an imperfect circle.

God then "flooded" the earth in 3113 B.C. and let the triangle wash away into darkness. This was the beginning of Evil. Since God contained light in a singular dimension of a perfect circle, light scattered among darkness in the new dimension. This erupted the "Chaotic" or "0" essence. God did not understand this, and thus he battled with it. Darkness was of Lucifer (the Devil), but the Devil was Light as well - it was only Light scattered in Darkness. And so, the reason God battled with Darkness was because God was attempting to find his son Lucifer, his fallen angel, who was a light lost amongst the darkness.

God then perceived a new dimension, took the pure Light from the Open Circle (Ω) and placed it in the darkness. As God could see, the Light beget more light. The Pure Light was Jesus Christ, and thus he expanded on his light. This was the Perfect Structure (1 or Alpha), which sought to create a Harmonious Structure (9 or Beta). We are currently in the 8th phase or the Primal Structure (8 or Heth), as we are attempting to create a net to catch the falling light.

In doing so, we create a new structure, because of our ability to see past 26 dimensions, we are able to perceive ∞ dimensions. This is the New Structure for Heaven, defined by a+bi=∞, and currently, I am drawing everyone a Perfect Circle so we can catch all the Falling Light - and in the hope, that we will catch the Lost Light, or Lucifer.

Imagine the New Structure as an infinite pot pouring from the top into a perfect circle, which expands into a net which holds more and more weight. This will be Heaven, and Heaven will be like a flowing river of Milk and Honey (imperfect perfection).

Lastly, in order to understand that it is not simply a worm-like or river structure, one needs to understand the Pure Light which was placed by God in the darkness. It is a constantly expanding sphere, like the sun. Quite literally, Jesus is the "Sun" and is constantly expanding, trying to reach The Holy Spirit, which is us as a people.

There are infinite dimensions to Heaven - which can be understood through Imaginary Structures and Numbers, which is meant to say, that Heaven is as expansive as we - God and His People - can imagine it. In a shape, you would define it as a circle within a triangle, within a circle, within a triangle, within an oval, within a sphere, within a square, with a triangle on top. Or you could just say that's a house.

But one needs to understand that the house contained many different levels of imperfection. "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

Only the beginning for all you lovely fellows :D God's just trying to tell us all, "sorry about that! it wasn't on purpose!"

·
Registered
663 Posts
Death is the road to awe

The soul of man is a part of the eternal cosmic energy that exists, i.e. a part of God. It is beyond life and death. You were never born, and you will never die. Then what is this birth and death that we see? These belong to the body, because the soul is omnipresent and eternal...Swami Vivekananda

I wanna tell you something Mark, something you do not yet know, that we K-PAXians have been around long enough to have discovered. The universe will expand, then it will collapse back on itself, then will expand again. It will repeat this process forever. What you don't you know is that when the universe expands again, everything will be as it is now. Whatever mistakes you make this time around, you will live through on your next pass. Every mistake you make, you will live through again, & again, forever. So my advice to you is to get it right this time around. Because this time is all you have..K-pax

I considered myself blessed in many ways. I have seen and experience so many wonderful things. I can say with 100% certainty that there is an afterlife. In my case a believe is no longer necessary. I remember well the day I lose my fear of dying was when I had my first out of body experience. That day I understood that I am not my body..the body is just like a tool that helps me interact with this game that most people call life. What I truly am(consciousness/soul/spirit pick your favorite metaphor) will remain as it has always remain.I have remember memories from past lives and in one occasion saw what the afterlife looks like. It was such a beautiful place. To this day is one of the most beautiful memories I have. Like Ben...I am looking forward to my death with a smile in my face :p. All these experiences pushed me to do an intense research to try to find a scientific explanation to them. If you take the time to do you own research and drop personal believes/cultural upbringing and go wherever the evidence takes you, you will arrive to a similar conclusion than I but it really doesn't matter in the end :).

We are eternal yet every ride we have here is precious. The consciousness wants to be all and experience everything. One life is just not enough for this purpose. As long as you are here there is room for growing and you will never get bored. But never take life too seriously :p. We are here to learn and to have fun while doing it. There is really no rush, you have all the time in the world to figure it out.

Usually learning=progress=love=happiness. So by thinking that you have a limited time, you usually enjoy life to the fullest, learn more and usually are satisfied with your progress at the end of it.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Eternal life wouldn't be bad at all if you have people you love to spend it with.

Speaking about heaven I would imagine that you exist in a higher form whilst there, all the physical and emotional pain you might experience in your mortal life you wouldn't have those in heaven else it wouldn't really be called heaven which is supposed to be paradise. I would include boredom as part of the pain we experience in this life and not in heaven.

Revelation 21:4 He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.”

1 Corinthians 2:9 But as it is written, Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God has prepared for them that love him.

Ok so I am picking random quotes out the bible and ignoring all the bad stuff in the bible, (I am not really religious anyway) but if this was what the afterlife was like IE no pain of any kind and being surrounded by people you love and God, at one with yourself, others the universe, God and an everlasting feeling of peace, love, happiness 'Nirvana' then that sounds pretty good.

·
Registered
INFJ 6w5, 1w2, 2w1 Sx/Sp
10,471 Posts
When I was little I used to freak myself out when I'd try to imagine how long forever was. I understand now that the reason the idea of eternity was so terrifying to me was because I only understand things in the very limited way I do now (here). Who's to say things are exactly the same, that I will be exactly the same - all the same thoughts, feelings if there is an after life and I enter it? I'd say it's pretty unlikely that I'd feel the same way about the idea of forever then because my understanding of things would presumably expand once certain things are revealed. I personally don't believe in the state I am in now (life on earth), I am capable of even fathoming what any of it would be like because I will always relate it to what I know to be true here. It's only natural to do so because it's what makes sense to us. As to the questions:

If given the choice would you choose death or eternal life? If you mean eternal life as we know it now (eternal life here) um yeah, I can only assume that I'd want that to end eventually because it probably WOULD get to the point where it would be too much for me to handle BUT there's no way for me to know for sure since I will never be able to experiment by doing that. If you mean eternal life in paradise then yes, please. I'll take that over death any day - if death means simply not existing but I think death can also entail more than that.

Do you believe in an afterlife? Yes, though I know it's impossible to prove it one way or the other and I know there may very well not be one. That's what makes it a belief I suppose.

Do you think nothing is worse than death without an afterlife? Nope. There are TONS of things much worse than not existing. If you cease to exist, you won't know about it so it doesn't really matter and you have nothing to fear. I suppose it's hard for some people to fathom too because once again, they're thinking about it too much in terms of what they already know - that they will still some how be aware of the nothingness. So anyway, I'd say there is nothing worse than an eternity of suffering but I know some people think they would prefer suffering over nothing but you can't really KNOW which you'd prefer until you experience both or rather, just the one since ceasing to exist doesn't require any experience.

Other thoughts - I would argue that some others might not think life is so fun when they lose a loved one prematurely but that is just my thoughts. The idea that you will never see your loved one ever again terrifies people and rightfully so.

Who says if there is an after life your pet/all animals cannot be apart of that? I don't even think that makes sense. Animals are apart of God's creation too and God loves His creation (under the belief that God exists).

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
"Eternal nothingness is fine if you happen to be dressed for it."
-Woody Allen

If it doesn't get any better, then I choose death. I'm already tired after thirty-eight years. Can I hedge my bets a bit? If I had the option of opting out whenever I desired, I would chose eternal life, just to see what it was like, and how I, and life, might evolve after such a long period of time. And of course, without that imminent threat of eternal nothingness hanging over me (I see no evidence to suggest the existence of a 'soul' or 'essence,' much less to indicate that it continues after death), who knows how it might change the equation. Yet, if life continued to remain less-than-inspiring, I would want the option to call it quits. Also, much of it would depend on how I would spend this eternity's worth of of life (not taking into account this whole dying sun thing). If I were to grow old like Tithonus, and wither away, but continue to live on...that is no sort of existence. On the other hand, if I were to remain eternally (relatively) youthful, I would be more inclined to consider eternal life.

In a sense, we are eternal, in that the elements and molecules we are composed of remain. Energy and matter are not lost. Of course the part that we consider us, the consciousness, the ego, dies with the body...at least that is the theory until we have some sort of evidence to the contrary. Alas we do not, though I have heard some really wild speculation on the matter. That said, I would love to be corrected on this point if anyone has anything factual proving the existence of a soul/spirit/essence/etc. Something not based on speculation; whether that speculation is based on religious beliefs, personal feelings, quantum theories and possibilities, what have you (and none of that 21 grams nonsense). And this is not to say that there is definitely not such a thing, only that thus far there is nothing to suggest that there is, and so no reason to assume so.

Can I give it a try as one of Anne Rice's vampires (not the Twilight variety...kill me now)? Or perhaps my consciousness could be downloaded into a super computer, in which my mental faculties might continue, and also have instantaneous access to all human information thus far collected.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
I don't know what all you people are talking about. Living forever would kick so much ass. I'd have to be more miserable than I've ever been, for a sustained period of time, with no chance of things ever improving to actually prefer not existing to existing. And obviously if eternal life is in a religous context, you'll be in a "nirvana" like state where you'll be blissfully happy all the time.

·
Registered
169 Posts
When I was little I used to freak myself out when I'd try to imagine how long forever was. I understand now that the reason the idea of eternity was so terrifying to me was because I only understand things in the very limited way I do now (here). Who's to say things are exactly the same, that I will be exactly the same - all the same thoughts, feelings if there is an after life and I enter it? I'd say it's pretty unlikely that I'd feel the same way about the idea of forever then because my understanding of things would presumably expand once certain things are revealed. I personally don't believe in the state I am in now (life on earth), I am capable of even fathoming what any of it would be like because I will always relate it to what I know to be true here. It's only natural to do so because it's what makes sense to us. As to the questions:

If given the choice would you choose death or eternal life? If you mean eternal life as we know it now (eternal life here) um yeah, I can only assume that I'd want that to end eventually because it probably WOULD get to the point where it would be too much for me to handle BUT there's no way for me to know for sure since I will never be able to experiment by doing that. If you mean eternal life in paradise then yes, please. I'll take that over death any day - if death means simply not existing but I think death can also entail more than that.

Do you believe in an afterlife? Yes, though I know it's impossible to prove it one way or the other and I know there may very well not be one. That's what makes it a belief I suppose.

Do you think nothing is worse than death without an afterlife? Nope. There are TONS of things much worse than not existing. If you cease to exist, you won't know about it so it doesn't really matter and you have nothing to fear. I suppose it's hard for some people to fathom too because once again, they're thinking about it too much in terms of what they already know - that they will still some how be aware of the nothingness. So anyway, I'd say there is nothing worse than an eternity of suffering but I know some people think they would prefer suffering over nothing but you can't really KNOW which you'd prefer until you experience both or rather, just the one since ceasing to exist doesn't require any experience.

Other thoughts - I would argue that some others might not think life is so fun when they lose a loved one prematurely but that is just my thoughts. The idea that you will never see your loved one ever again terrifies people and rightfully so.

Who says if there is an after life your pet/all animals cannot be apart of that? I don't even think that makes sense. Animals are apart of God's creation too and God loves His creation (under the belief that God exists).
You are incredible.

·
Registered
710 Posts
When I look at things....like animals...flowers....ect I know there has to be something else...there can't just be this life and then death...

the thought that something that beautiful can exist on an accident....that they just developed or sprung in to existence somehow ...is hard for me to grasp

I feel like the world is a work of art....meaning there must be some sort of artist...
I don't see how this could be it, live and die...I feel there has to be something else... don't know what it is and can't prove it completely

I'm not saying I'd want to have eternal life, because there is the thought that it would become boring, but who knows what it would be like if there actually was something after death...maybe it wouldn't be boring and maybe spirits/souls do go on....

however if you meant eternal life on earth...it would depend on whether my love lives eternally too...i wish to stay with him

·
Banned
158 Posts
Hahaha, I always thought that the afterlife would be drastically more interesting. More brilliant and beautiful and unknown. And a lot less annoying. In short, it's the place I've always been looking for while knowing that I cannot possibly find it on earth. I can find traces of it - hints, little colorful patches, the faintest ideas - and I just know there must be a full picture somewhere. Something eternally magnificent and meaningful. I'd love to see it and be a part of it and experience it.

Reactions: Vivid Melody

·
Fu Dominant
10,720 Posts
Eternal life for me, for a variety of reasons, most of which I won't get into here. The idea that Heaven would be "boring" is ridiculous at best. It's Heaven, after all. You would be filled with ultimate unconditional love and contentment. You wouldn't want turmoil and troubles. It wouldn't even be a concern for you. Time would take on a whole new meaning. You wouldn't be fiddling your thumbs for thousands of years, wondering what to do. It would be an entirely different way of living.

To presume you or anyone in this world have any real idea of what a life beyond this one would be is beyond arrogant. You don't even know what this life holds for you, what tomorrow will bring, if you even get a tomorrow to experience. Who are you to claim you have any idea about what the next step beyond this life would be, let alone how you could comprehend or react to it?

The only form of afterlife I wouldn't want is to be reincarnated back on this planet. One life spent here is far more than enough, thank you very much. >_>

·
Banned
1,297 Posts
@GoodOldDreamer

I might be mis-reading you here but it looks to me that your first & second paragraphs rather contradict each other.

Eternal life for me, for a variety of reasons, most of which I won't get into here. The idea that Heaven would be "boring" is ridiculous at best. It's Heaven, after all. You would be filled with ultimate unconditional love and contentment. You wouldn't want turmoil and troubles. It wouldn't even be a concern for you. Time would take on a whole new meaning. You wouldn't be fiddling your thumbs for thousands of years, wondering what to do. It would be an entirely different way of living.

To presume you or anyone in this world have any real idea of what a life beyond this one would be is beyond arrogant. You don't even know what this life holds for you, what tomorrow will bring, if you even get a tomorrow to experience. Who are you to claim you have any idea about what the next step beyond this life would be, let alone how you could comprehend or react to it?

Reactions: Solitude315

·
Banned
1,297 Posts
Why is my life more imprtant than my cat's? - That looks like a joke, but is a very serious point. So I'm going to heaven (or hell!) and my cat will just die? He, and all other creatures possess exactly the same life force as humans. Why are we so bloody important?
The Christian writer C.S.Lewis explored the possibility of animal immortality. To the question "Where will you put all the mosquitoes?" he responded "if the worst came to the worst, a heaven for mosquitoes and a hell for men could very conveniently be combined."

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
Maybe we are just rats in a maze? After this life our souls are taken to another universe beyond this one and start over there under different conditions to see how we respond.

This reminds me of the Star Trek Voyager episode "Deathwish".

The "immortal, everafter" is a desert road that just stretches and is "boring".

But then again, following the logic that we "know" there is nothing after death, or that there "is" something after death doesn't mean we do actually know what it is. I'm very curious to find out when I'm done here.

It's contradictory to yearn for excitement with the "unknown" of life here and now, and say that after is going to be "...." and boring.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts