Personality Cafe banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I can relate to that sentiment a bit. I've always had a strange view of death. I've never been afraid of it. I don't think it's terribly sad either. Everyone dies. I do believe in an afterlife though, and a continuation of our lives after we have died, in the impressions we have made on people. We sort of transcend physical reality, but can never be erased. The cause and effect we were a part of in the patterns and nature of this world, that ripple effect continues infinitely. I hope that makes sense.
Also, I've realized that I am good at holding onto impressions of people, recreating them in myself at will. It makes it hard for me to even miss people when I can experience them internally.

I'm a 5w4-9w1-2w1 sx/sp. I feel my nineish ways in how I relate to and believe in a sort of universal unconscious connectivity

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can relate to that sentiment a bit. I've always had a strange view of death. I've never been afraid of it. I don't think it's terribly sad either. Everyone dies. I do believe in an afterlife though, and a continuation of our lives after we have died, in the impressions we have made on people. We sort of transcend physical reality, but can never be erased. The cause and effect we were a part of in the patterns and nature of this world, that ripple effect continues infinitely. I hope that makes sense.
Also, I've realized that I am good at holding onto impressions of people, recreating them in myself at will. It makes it hard for me to even miss people when I can experience them internally.

I'm a 5w4-9w1-2w1 sx/sp. I feel my nineish ways in how I relate to and believe in a sort of universal unconscious connectivity
Brilliant!

I know exactly what you mean.
And I think it is testament to your strong intuition as resultant from a high level of synchronicity of head/heart/body centers.

You might want to look into a book/concept called Biocentrism.
Basically the theory argues that consciousness is the center of the universe; that the universe is created by consciousness, and not the reverse (which is the "common" idea). In effect, since consciousness "is", and since energy can't be destroyed, it is theorized to continue even after material "death", but in "another version".

Here is another "poem" that is on tangent:

THOU GRIEVETH FOR THOSE
THAT SHOULD NOT BE GRIEVED FOR
THE WISE GRIEVE NEITHER
FOR THE LIVING
NOR THE DEAD
NEVER AT ANY TIME
WAS I NOT
NOR THOU
NOR THESE
PRINCES OF MEN
NOR SHALL WE EVER
CEASE TO BE
HEREAFTER
THE UNREAL HAS NO BEING
THE REAL NEVER
CEASES TO BE

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Brilliant!

I know exactly what you mean.
And I think it is testament to your strong intuition as resultant from a high level of synchronicity of head/heart/body centers.

You might want to look into a book/concept called Biocentrism.
Basically the theory argues that consciousness is the center of the universe; that the universe is created by consciousness, and not the reverse (which is the "common" idea). In effect, since consciousness "is", and since energy can't be destroyed, it is theorized to continue even after material "death", but in "another version".

Here is another "poem" that is on tangent:
I like your thinking very much! :] I'm reading about biocentrism now. It's interesting to me.
From my view, I'm a dualist in many ways. I see so many connections between the physical and non-physical, yet no way to be certain which is the source (if either are the source). I'm mostly not too concerned with that, as I believe there's no way to prove these arguments. I like to focus on the present reality that these planes of existence are connected and try to trace the patterns of the dynamics in their interactions.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like your thinking very much! :] I'm reading about biocentrism now. It's interesting to me.
From my view, I'm a dualist in many ways. I see so many connections between the physical and non-physical, yet no way to be certain which is the source (if either are the source). I'm mostly not too concerned with that, as I believe there's no way to prove these arguments. I like to focus on the present reality that these planes of existence are connected and try to trace the patterns of the dynamics in their interactions.
I think you are right (imo) in everything you do, from what I read.
There is no way to "know" about these higher planes in our version of reality.
The furthest we can and need to go is to the point of our strong intuition about them, and believing/trusting that this is correct.
We cannot grasp the concept of "one" rationally - only intuitively. At least for the moment.

The only thing we can do "practically" to "reach further", is to practicing love (as understood in a spiritual sense). And, as you say, by being present to immediate reality, as from a meditative perspective.

Also, I am happy that at least someone likes my thinking :D

·
Registered
INFP
1,484 Posts
I don't believe in any sort of afterlife, and I have never been terribly afraid of death. For the record, I have struggled with depression in the past and contemplated suicide, but I currently have it under control and am doing well.

I have a bit of fear surrounding the actual moment of death--whether it will be painful or drawn out. However, the idea of not existing doesn't bother me much, and I have often thought of it as a final rest. No more stress. No more struggle. Actually, the idea of existing forever is terrifying and exhausting.

We are born, we live, and we die. That is the cycle of things.

·
Registered
5 Posts
5w6-1w2-2w1

I do not fear death because I have a hard time believing I exist at all. No evidence satisfies me and if I do exist it is from some higher intelligence's perspective, not necessarily "my" own. To me it seems like I am a thought of god, an infinite intelligence. I think the greatest reality is infinity, the infinite forms of it. Also I think dying is going back into the subconscious of god, or the totality of things, and rebirth is god calling on your information like a memory. Maybe we are the dream of god and we are creating some sort of energy for some engine which contains the god that controls our collective perceived reality as humans. I do think everything contains everything, like everything is made out of information so fundamentally the same thing. We are information and one bit of information, the most fundamental bit contains the entirety of everyone and everything's identity from some observers point of view so nothing can die forever or even at all if infinity in a sense exists. I don't fear loosing contact with my human identity because it very well could be everywhere, my empathy suggests this. According to my empathy/intuition it is true, so if I identify with that it lives for ever and I don't see how those feelings can be incorrect. And no, nothing can be proven.

·
Registered
177 Posts
"In a sense, fear is the daughter of God. She is not beautiful...mocked, cursed or disowned by all. But don't be mistaken, she watches over all mortal agony, she intercedes for mankind; for there is a rule and an exception. Culture is the rule, and art is the exception. Everybody speaks the rule; cigarette, computer, t-shirt, television, tourism, war. Nobody speaks the exception. It isn't spoken, it is written; Flaubert, Dostoyevsky. It is composed; Gershwin, Mozart. It is painted; Cézanne, Vermeer. It is filmed; Antonioni, Vigo. Or it is lived, then it is the art of living; Srebrenica, Mostar, Sarajevo. The rule is to want the death of the exception." –taken from je Vous Salue, Sarajevo

im not afraid of death...and i try to live by the "exception".

·
Registered
752 Posts
I do not fear death itself. I fear the end of striving towards something, albeit in the sense of becoming a better artist, or quite literally anything. I get just as much enjoyment from refining my techniques and studying new ones, as I do from seeking to way to describe my inner self which is too abstract for words. I fear the ending of my search towards understanding of knowledge and expression.

All I know for sure about death and what happens afterwards is that my body will decay and if my body is dealt with the way I'd like to be, it will return and replenish at least a small portion of nature. I tend to try and not worry what will happen with my consciousness after death, because regardless what anyone believes it's out of our control at the end of the day.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Jung's dad was a pastor.

When Jung doubted God he turned to his dad for help. His dad was worthless. His dad doubted too but didn't have the freedom to express it. So he hid behind belief and faith.

Jung wanted his dad to talk about religion rationally, but his dad refused - fearful that knowledge would dissolve his faith. Jung said this is crazy! We should compare knowledge to beliefs in order to prove or disprove them. A pastor should want to search for accuracy and ultimately truth.

For Jung the more he doubted God the more he was pushed to learn to get a better view of the universe. And the more he learned the more God made sense. Finally something came along his intuition causing a eureka moment during a dream, where you have an inner experience where you know God is real and life extends past death. It is something you know by ibtuition, but you can't prove, and this is the real etymology of the word "belief.

Something internal has to happen to you first (primary phenomonen) before you can have belief (belief is a secondary phenomenon).

The mistake of religions is telling people they have to believe first.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Sometimes I would not bet that life is a friend. I couldn't bother any longer to assume that death is not.
I don't even know what life is, exactly. Therefore I can't prove, if death is really not-life. Maybe death is something of its own. Maybe it's coexistent next to this something called life and they both are not each others opposites.
As anabolic and catabolic conditions live next to each other in one system.

What I might fear is the 'let it happen'-part. The transition itself and the recognition of the transition.

I don't know my tritype.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I'm not afraid of death.
Me and death have a weird complex relationship.
As a child, I never really thought much of death or contemplated its meaning.
By the time I was in high school, I had many friends who seemed to simultaneously seek and fear death.
At the time I couldn't understand one's appeal to death.

I'm not exactly sure when the shift in things happened, but somewhere along the line I began to crave it. I craved for death to take me (in the most passive way of the sense, I never attacked upon these feelings. I've never been actively suicidal). Sometimes, I still long for it and feel that death is a better friend than life will ever be.

I've never been afraid of death. The closest I've come to fearing death, I suppose, is not accomplishing anything before I die. I don't want to make it by society's terms and conditions but by my own. And so, that sometimes bothers me. The thoughts and feelings of death both sooth me into this promising feeling and also makes my chest ache with the conflicted feelings of urge and resistant.

My love/hate relationship with death comes into play when other people are involved. I hate when people are taken away from me. For someone to die is very devastating to me. I want to hate death so much for taking someone from me (because i can't let go and am possessive) but at the same time I still secretly want death's cradled embrace. It's like me and death are in this weird open relationship because I know death comes for everyone but I still get upset when it intervenes with my other relationships and people.

God, I'm so dramatic (eek!). If you couldn't tell by my post, I clearly have these romanticized feelings towards death. *Sigh*

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
I don't think that humans fear death itself so much as we fear HOW and WHEN we are going to die and the pain that the process of dying may or may not bring in the process. Additionally, consciousness is an intrinsic part of being human, so death is pretty much the anti-thesis of consciousness, which contributes to the fear factor. After all, it could be within the next minute or the next hour or in the next five decades for all you know.

As for me, I take an attitude of indifference towards death. I consider myself to be an agnostic and thus, I don't actively believe in an afterlife. All I know is that the skeleton in this closet that I call my body will be released and even that won't last for very long. Who knows what happens?

·
Banned
3,255 Posts
Kind of fun thought. I could have done with that friend a few times in this life already. And in other ways I feel as if I have been dead for many years now. When I lost my love for life, for projects and knowledge and it all became about trudging towards retirement and making good investment choices and making sure I have enough for when I am old. That's when life truly died for me. When I had to do everything on my own and just continually run into exhausting failure and can't really do anything for myself. Yep I died then too. So in a way I'm not really living I'm just sitting in a waiting room until that helpful guide comes and taps me on the shoulder.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I fear a loss of control more than dying. Like others have an intuitive sense of an afterlife, I have the opposite. I feel the void, though I can't explain it. I know it, but can't describe it. I know the universe will continue without me. But I won't be able to observe it any longer. That is my primary fear.

I've had many people tell me I'm wrong. Either that I shouldn't be afraid of non-existence (because it happens to everyone), or that there is an afterlife and all you have to do is xyz. But it is my mind, my thoughts, my beliefs. Not theirs.

At the same time I appreciate the process of death. Of matter being turned into energy and back into matter. If the universe is a closed system... entropy will put a halt to that cycle in the very distant future. matter will lose energy and everything will be as if nothing exists. Forever.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts