Personality Cafe banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi INFJs

As throughout life we have to make decisions.

How you make your important life decisions, either you do it with consultation or of your own or what..?

What decision making strategy best suits you.?

Regards

Reactions: Lad

·
SAY MY NAME
INTJ
8,476 Posts
Just do it. I back myself to make the correct decision, more often than not.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts

Actually I just think about it a lot for a while and try to think of every ridiculous permutation until I start feeling like I'm wearing a rut in the carpet from just pacing back and forth. So then I try to consciously forget all of my reasoning and pick a path based on gut feeling. If I feel uneasy with my choice (it's a particular kind of unease), I know to revisit the issue and maybe look for some angle I missed. So basically (over-)think, forget, then pick arbitrarily- but not arbitrarily, and revisit my decision far more often than is necessary.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I process it internally. I'm not really one to consult a lot of other people's opinions. For one thing, I trust my own logic more than theirs (yes, that sounds terrible, but there it is). And two, I don't get anything out of discussing it. I usually feel sort of flustered and stressed when people chime in with their own opinions.

When it's a choice I'm making jointly with my husband we talk it out, mull over the possibilities, then take a break. The next time we talk about it, we make a solid decision. I like having time to chew on it, and there's no rash decision-making in the heat of the moment. Gives me time if I need to do some research or even just organize my thoughts.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I think about it. Really hard.

Reactions: chanteuse

·
Registered
493 Posts
Important life decisions you say? I think sometimes I have taken a WWDDD approach, for better or worse. (What Would Don Draper Do).

Also sometimes I consult a textbook on decision making models and use the tools those wacky academics have offered up through their study of the topic.

I think I let the inner pragmatist lead now a days, it tames an inner romantic (about life in general). I need them both. One makes sure there is order and one makes sure there is fun. Neither is psychic though and neither wants anyone to ever get hurt.

ha! just deciding what to write here was a fun challenge.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Either I just make the decision, or if I have too many thoughts and ideas jumping around, I use the process of elimination, or a pros and cons list.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I like writing and intuition. If my thoughts feel jumbled, I write. If I have a decision to make, I almost always use intuition. It’s a ‘think of the question, wait for an answer, sleep on it’ sorta process. Works every time really.

I know lots of times it seems like decisions need to be made immediately, but you’d be surprised how many things can wait a day. My process is not quick though, to be sure.

Number of times I feel regretful after this process? Super rare to never. It’s incredibly trustworthy.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
I follow the logic that I make the best decision in any given moment when you take into account all the circumstances revolving around that exact moment I made a choice (mental state, knowledge, etc). This frees me from guilt / regret later.

If you're one of those people that is "right" most of the time, then failure can actually be humbling. Not to mention, you learn more from your fuck ups than you do from your successes. This allows me to to take risks and be impulsive at times.

I really value the idea of being clever or thinking quick. If I'm smart enough, I can turn any situation around. Confidence, responsibility, accountability.

Lastly, I'm a determinist, or a fatalist, so whatever happens was going to happen and there wasn't really anything I could do to change that. Helps me accept and move on.

All in all, I think it's more-so about philosophy and perception rather than that modus operandi.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
At first it seems that I avoid thinking about it. I put it in the back of my mind, stewing.

Once there seems to have some shape and form, I may seek out ppl I trust (NFs and NTs) to bounce my ideas back and forth. This is from stewing to stirring while adding spices into the mix.

Once the matter becomes front and center in my conscious mind that I can identify, categorize, probe, I'd sit down to write it out. I'd do a pros and cons list.

Before I make a decision I may talk to one or two more ppl (NTs) to test for any weaknesses or loopholes.

At the end, there's no fool proof or water proof decision. A trigger must be pulled. All I ask for is to feel fine with my decision, warts and all. If I didn't do the due diligence with time, investigation, and contemplation, I'd be the one to blame and have regret if my decision failed. If I'd done my part and it turns out a mistake, I would not feel too badly.

This is my rationale when it comes to big decisions.

Reactions: Lad
1 - 11 of 11 Posts