Personality Cafe banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Meh.
ENTJ
8,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brainfart that occurred before falling asleep last night so bear with me..

One of the things that I envy about my ENTJ cousins is the decisiveness. It appears to be very immediate, happens on the spot where as I need to spend time inside my head to create that bigger Ni picture first before coming to a conclusion on where I stand on the subject matter. Aka don't put me on the spot when I don't have the bigger picture ready because I won't have an answer.

Now I look at my Si-dominant partner and see the same sort of mechanism expressed in a different way: need to gather all facts first before Aux-Fe can take direction of it.

It left me wondering if this could be purely related to the introverted dominant perceiving function or wheter this could apply to dominant perceiving functions in general.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I don't think type and decision making speed have a correlation. I see what you're saying, but it might be a little of a confirmation bias in your observations, willing to give a pass to certain types for taking too long, namely, J doms. But, I think your observations are accurate in that Te doms are very regimented in their outlook and so can seem to be very quick at making decisions. But similar to your case, where if you don't have the Ni framework, you can't make quick use of your judging function, the same is the case with the T(e?) doms, who, if they don't have a system, have to use perception in order to construct a new system or regimen and then won't be as quick in making decisions. Just my thoughts...

·
Registered
385 Posts
I find it really hard to make decisions outwardly that stay set in stone, if I make them at all. Someone will ask me how I feel about something, and usually (if it's something I haven't thought about before and consider important), I kinda just say I don't know and leave it at that. It's hard for me to make outward decisions, since my extraverted judging function (Te) is all the way at the bottom of my functional stack. Se would rather see if I can gather more information first, and until then, Fi doesn't have an opinion.

But when something comes up that affects my Fi (something I've thought about and consider important), I suddenly get super decisive and Te will come out. Since that happens so rarely, it feels powerful when I actually get decisive.

It's a problem for IP's in general, I think - if you'd like to read about the effect of the extraverted judging function (T/Fe) being last in our functional stack, look here.

·
Registered
NiTe 549
5,321 Posts
I also have this dynamic going on. I think it can be similar with a lot of dominant perceivers, introverted and extraverted alike - it's just that our extraverted relatives can look more engaged while they are processing than we do, and so Pi-Je decisions may look more sudden and out of nowhere than Pe-Ji.

On the other hand, when a perspective has fully clicked, I will stick to it and look more like an MBTI "J". I only change through my own realizations, on my own time.

I usually expect dominant judging, be it introverted or extraverted, to be overall more decisive in nature about the fruits of its requisite realm of priority.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
To be honest, I can make decisions quickly but I've started to prefer not to a lot of the time. This includes almost preferring communicating in writing because it gives me time to think and perceive more.

Reactions: Flatlander

·
Registered
560 Posts
As a Ti dominant, if Fe is not necessary (i.e., I'm the only one affected by the decision or the decision is completely up to me), I may make a decision quickly, but it is completely dynamic and based on the quantity, quality, and type of perception data I receive (Se or Ni).

Using how I program as an example: I quickly knock out decisions as I go, but as I start picking up certain things as inefficient or just not working, I'll restructure things as needed, even if that means completely going against a decision I made early on that I thought was important. This is probably blasphemous to my Te co-workers, but heck, it always comes together in the end.

If Fe is needed, all bets are off.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
This is more related to MBTI J than cognitive type, but the speed is not really what is measured, it is what their orientation towards decisions is. An Ni-Te type with strong J preference may be obsessed with decisiveness and finishing things off, so to speak, but their cognitive means of doing so might be more to the effect of having generally a wealth of Pi insight, since that is where they are cognitively by default, and when they must make a decision, it can be *sudden* by just taking all that more organic insight and rationalizing something, which of course is what is alluded to above. A weaker J orientation would possibly keep them indefinitely in irrational-land.

·
Heretic
5w4 9w8 2w1 Sx/Sp INTJ ESI
10,836 Posts
In Neuroscience of personality Nardi talked about Je dominants having almost a neural superhighway for decisions.
So I guess that lines up nicely with what you describe.

·
Meh.
ENTJ
8,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input. It leaves me wondering if it is simply something that comes along with introversion (so regardless of perceiving/judging dom > but introverted) or whether it is related to a perceiving dominant, E or I. OR if it is an IxxJ thing where the extraverted judging position is placed behind an introverted perceiving function.

Yes this might have been better placed in the MBTI forum.. ... oh well.

·
Registered
290 Posts
To be honest, I can make decisions quickly but I've started to prefer not to a lot of the time. This includes almost preferring communicating in writing because it gives me time to think and perceive more.
I can totally relate. I love debating and arguing in person, but when I'm writing/typing, I can be more eloquent and sound much better. I can sometimes sound like an idiot when I speak, but in writing, I'm much more composed and logical.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Ne dom here. I don't enjoy making decisions. Ne sees too many possibilities and my aux Fi is willing to sacrifice my choice for another's satisfaction (as long as the choice doesn't cross any of my values/beliefs). But at the end of the day, my tertiary Te will step up and make a choice if the stalemate is seriously hindering progress (because Ne is getting bored with the status quo and is ready to see what happens next).

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
My observation on type and Decision Making speed when perceived from the outside

Je dom (EXXJ) > Je aux (IXXJ) >= Ji aux (EXXP) > Ji dom (IXXP)

This is due to the fact that Je focuses on making decisions that directly affects the external world whereas Ji mostly makes decisions that affects the subject's internal state, making the Je's appear more decisive in the outerworld compared the Ji's since their decisions have more direct impact in bending the external world to Je's will. And moreover, EXXP have tertiary Je making them appear more decisive compared to the IXXPs...The most likely type to appear wishy-washy is an IXXP....

However in reality, I would say that actual decision making speed is:

J dom (EXXJ & IXXP) > J aux (IXXJ and EXXP)

Ie J doms make decisions equally fast in general. However, as metioned previously, Ji doms mostly make decisions that affects their internal state than the external world and moreover since their Je is inferior, Ji doms actually appear wishy-washy from the outside and appear least decisive despite the fact that internally they're making shitload of decisions affecting their internal state and probably makes more decisions than the Je aux/terts. They just don't get manifested to the external world as immediately as the Je doms/aux/terts hence them appearing least decisive from the outside world.

Of course, enneagram will play a part in this, eg E8 EXXPs can appear just as decisive as the Je doms and can appear more decisive than say an E5 IXXJ since pitting yourself against the world increases the urgency of immediate decision making

Also ESTPs tend to be the most decisive of the EXXPs and ISTPs tend to be the most decisive of the IXXPs

Also, I find that NJs tend to be more quick-minded than SJs and hence the NJ version tend to make relatively quicker decision compared to their SJ counterpart. Nonetheless, if the SJ has got their Si well trained on the matter, SJ decision making speed can surpass the NJ counterpart's speed...Nonetheless Si types tend to display some sort of mental block on matters that their Si have not been trained on whereas the NJ can usually intuit their way through novel problems. When the SJ has resolved similar problem in the past though, their decision making can be extremely fast.

Note that none of this touches on decision making accuracy...it's mostly observations regarding speed....

·
Registered
18,510 Posts
Socionics describes this with the irrational-rational dichotomy. Irrational types, e.g. those that lead with perception, are less prone to make decisions and Nardi's research actually supports this because irrational types do not utilize the part of the brain that leads to quick decisions as much as rational types do. In contrast, rational types e.g. those that lead with judgement, operate on that the world is already defined in some way, shape or form, based on how they perceive it, and these rules are what shapes their internal experience so it's easier for them to arrive at conclusions or making decisions.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts