Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey. I don't really know how to work this thing. I'm trying to put up a profile picture but something is wrong. I think I have to resize it or something.
Anyways, my name is Greg. I don't have a facebook, but a part of me missed talking to people on the internet. The trouble was, most of the things you're reading on facebook is complete trash and nonsense and peoples ego's shooting off the charts. And I found this weird site after searching on google, something, I can't remember now. And there were some very interesting forums, some very smart people have honest conversations, something I love and wish I was more in touch with. So I decided to attempt to make one of these things.
I'd love to talk to any and all of you, about anything you'd like. Girls, but guys too! Not because I want to have cyber sex or show you my dick but because I have a weird deep respect for women. I've already revealed too much.
Okay that's it for now.

·
Mr. CafeBot
13,103 Posts
*You are hearing a robotic sounding voice coming towards you*

Greetings HumanBeing11 and welcome to PersonalityCafe!! My name is Mr. CafeBot. I am here to personally greet you and thank you for joining our humble little forum. No matter your type, you will surely experience a wonderful time with the members of this forum. We cater to all personality types so you will never feel alone or weird. Truth is this forum is full of weirdos!! Pleazeee hel.... *Ahem*I mean we have the nicest people you will ever meet. :)

If you need basic forum information our newbie guide link is here...
http://personalitycafe.com/intro/2319-friendly-guide-newbies.html

To keep the forum entertaining and safe, our forum rules link is here...
http://personalitycafe.com/announcements/540-personality-cafe-forum-rules.html

If you need any help or have any suggestions, please let us know here...
http://personalitycafe.com/support-suggestions/

We will always be glad to help you!

Also don't forget to watch my music video...

Again, welcome to our forum HumanBeing11. We hope that your experience with us is tremendously benevolent!

P.S. Meet my family

My Wife - http://personalitycafe.com/members/mrs-cafebot.html
My Daughter - http://personalitycafe.com/members/jenny.html
My Dog - http://personalitycafe.com/members/dog.html

·
Registered
INFP, 4w5 sx/sp
1,193 Posts
Welcome! :)

I love those sorts of conversations. And this site is way better than facebook. xD

I have a weird deep respect for women
me too.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Welcome to the coolest nerd haven on the interwebz, @HumanBeing11
I am female and greatly enjoy deep intellectual conversations, so if you ever want to talk about, you know, the meaning of life or anything I'm always open for some good conversation :)
And yeah, this place is way better than Facebook.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I feel sort of, confused about social networking. I made an oath a while ago that I wouldn't use it again.
I feel it takes away from real face to face human experiences.
What do you guys think?
And thanks for the big welcome.

·
Registered
INFP, 4w5 sx/sp
1,193 Posts
I feel sort of, confused about social networking. I made an oath a while ago that I wouldn't use it again.
What do you guys think?
I'm terrible at communicating face to face. I rarely engage in it.

The internet, however, has actually helped me somewhat in regards to it. I can think out my replies before I post them, and then when I'm communicating offline I'm a lot better, because I've practiced in a (relatively) stress-free environment.

What about you?

·
Registered
456 Posts
Welcome there, Human :)

I agree with you on social networking kind of ruining human interaction, but I could say the same thing about the internet in a way.

Even on forums, or chat programs, one always have that little delete key or backspace key, and one can take time to word your thoughts just perfectly, eliminating as much potential miscommunication as possible. Real life doesn't have such tools, and as painful as the results are sometimes when I speak in real life with others, the experience feels more authentic and real to me.

That being said though, I do enjoy my time talking with others online. It's nice not to come across as an awkward bumbling bozo half the time. xD

·
Registered
426 Posts
Facebook is a decent tool. It's there. Meh.
Oddly enough, from what I've seen and read, introverts seem to appreciate face-to-face talking more than extroverts... which seems odd. Also meh.
Welcome! Deposit your point of view(s) with confidence! :kitteh:

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well it just makes me nervous.
Because if we get so used to this form of conversation, there is a sense of hiding behind backspaces and our "digital self", so eventually, with the evolution of technology, the true self, the self that exists in our moment to moment lives, starts to vanish. And your whole life is wrapped around the digital self. Which is also a great metaphor I think for the societal version of ourselves, the "surface", as opposed to the true you, who lives beneath the layers.
There's a great line from this book I read recently by one of my favorite authors Don Delillo, the book is called Point Omega. The line goes:
“The true life is not reducible to words spoken or written, not by anyone, ever. The true life takes place when we're alone, thinking, feeling, lost in memory, dreamingly self-aware, the submicroscopic moments. He said this more than once, Elster did, in more than one way. His life happened, he said, when he sat staring at a blank wall, thinking about dinner.”
Solitude and self-reflection are what make us who we are. If we forget this, if we become so consumed with social media, having conversations through the internet, and not face-to-face, we forget who we are. The internet starts to guide our development. And there comes a new form of development. Where we need the internet. This is what scares me, for future generations. My son, for example. I'm terrified, and at the same time excited. I just hope people are aware of the psychological effects.
I think we learn the most about ourselves during face-to-face conversation, when we stumble on our words, when we're not sure what to say next, those thick awkward moments we want to end. They make us grow, they shape us, we learn from them. The internet (if used in the wrong context) can just become a form of distraction. It can be a way for us to run away from our problems. Very, very, very similar to an addiction.

·
Ace of Spades
7w6 4w3 1w9 sp/so; Ni/Ne/Te-dom
3,253 Posts
Deep intellectual conversations about the nature of the universe
My favourite.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Have you read much Jung? You sound like your talking about the Persona and the Ego a bit, along with the nature of extroversion's objectivity against introversion's subjectivity.

Any particular meaning behind your avatar?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not enough Jung. Just bits and pieces.
And not really. A girl I had sex with a few times, were good friends but don't really talk anymore. She put our two pictures together. But our personalities blend really strangely and I liked how the picture said it well. And I deleted a lot of the pictures on my computer in a fit after I was trying to get over a certain girlfriend. And this was what I had left. So I used it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
What do you guys think?
I confess, I love Facebook. It's great for finding people (I am adopted and I actually found my biological dad through Facebook) and inviting people to events (you can put all the details in one place so you don't have to repeat yourself 5987964875 times)
Some people of course go to the extreme and use it way too much. But that's life I suppose.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Do you guys know who Alex Jones is?
The infowars, conspiracy guy?
I've been watching his videos lately. Some of the stuff he says is really interesting but he's so flamboyant. It's really funny.
He can't be a real person.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts