·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
define SANE
can you?
because i CANT!
i think everyone's got their own version of sanity or normalcy or whatever
and people who preach about it so often are actually people who want to take something away from you? by pursuading or lying to you that something is sane and is not so that to limit your choices so that they can secretly take away those chances behind your back so to speak?

also, person A can be totally SANE or admirable in culture A but might come across down right NUTTY PROFESSOR in culture B you know?

so..
do you have the word SANE in your book?

·
Registered
83 Posts
wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn
mentally healthy; free from mental disorder; "appears to be completely sane"
reasonable: marked by sound judgment; "sane nuclear policy"

en.wiktionary.org/wiki/sane
Being in a healthy condition; not deranged; acting rationally; -- regarding the mind; Mentally sound; possessing a rational mind; having the mental faculties in such condition as to be able to anticipate and judge the effect of one's actions in an ordinary manner; -- regarding persons

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanity
Sanity (, from sānitās) refers to the soundness, rationality and reasonableness of the human mind. A person is sane if they are rational. ...

http://oxforddictionaries.com/view/entry/m_en_gb0732760
(of a person) of sound mind; not mad or mentally ill:hard work kept me sane
reasonable or sensible:a sane discussion of the important social issues of our time

Those are the basic definitions.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
but arent those just synonyms?
im trying to grasp the concept of what sane, reasonable, sound is? as opposed to what is it that constitute/establish mad then? which specific qualities?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah ewan mcgreggor can be boring at times.. agree

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
A concept of which I have no experience. :crazy:

·
Registered
83 Posts
I feel the same about the word. Since everyone has their own definitions of what's rational and reasonable, sanity is almost like a matter of the majority's perception of what is acceptable and what is not. It can easily be substituted with the word "weird", "abnormal", or "different" under most circumstances.

But then again, that's just me.

·
Registered
988 Posts
The most common definition of sanity in modern society would be comformity. If you conform with the masses, you are 'sane.' If you do not, you are 'insane.' I only wish madmen and visionaries alike would not be branded with this label indiscriminately.

Reactions: Abyss Soul

·
Registered
16 Posts
[thought process turbo = ON]
Sanity - 1. An Idea. As such it cannot be observed and measured empirically. It describes mindset and behaviour of exemplar human being.
2. A word used by majority to oppress minorities. Literal meaning: "doing what is seen by majority as a proper".
3. Being without mental disorders.
[thought process turbo = OFF]
To fuel your doubts even more a quotation:
"Only the Insane have Strength enough to Prosper. Only those that Prosper can truly Judge what is Sane."

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I do think it's often possible judge whether someone is "sane" and who is "insane." Those whose perception of reality is completely twisted, such as schizophrenics, etc, many of whom do have physical brain disorders, are insane. The rest of us, quirky and weird as we may be, are mostly sane.
Then there's the question of the eccentric, which is where it gets a little fuzzy. Someone whose perception of reality is perhaps just a little off-kilter. But in that case, why bother labeling at all?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Sane = you'll live through the action.
Insane = you didn't survive the experience.

Sane = you can communicate with others.
Insane = you can communicate with wild lions.

Sane = You show up to work for your paycheck.
Insane = You show up to work with a gun wanting everyone's paycheck.

Sane = Your friends all think your crazy.
Insane = You have no friends, and the doctors tell you that your crazy.

For a deeper introspective, I recommend "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" 1975 staring Jack Nicholson. It is his best movie IMO.

·
Banned
644 Posts
For a deeper introspective, I recommend "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" 1975 staring Jack Nicholson. It is his best movie IMO.
Speaking of Jack Nicholson, "The Shining" draws the pleasant line (as well as the transformation) between sanity and insanity.

Defining a term like sane is no different than trying to answer the question to, "what's normal?". It gets knee-deep into semantics. Basically(and this is my definition), it's a relative term used to categorize individuals on a spectrum who appear to exhibit signs of self-control over their actions and thoughts under controlled circumstances. It's that simple as far as terminology goes.

Now, is anyone perfectly sane? I think not as humans are conflicted emotionally or thoughtfully by nature. It's when we can no longer deal with the convoluted conflict(s) within ourselves that we may cross the threshold into insanity. A good example of this is when Luke Skywalker went "insane" in the Return of the Jedi in the last fight against Darth Vader.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts