Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, this is something I've been thinking about a lot lately. I was wondering if someone could do some head shrinking for me. Struggling to articulate it, but I'll try.

I feel as though I am nothing more than the sum of my experiences. I'm not going to get into a nature vs nurture debate, but if I really thought about it I think I could pinpoint the circumstances, and even more importantly, the people who have led to the development of my character.

My emotions are so affected by external stimuli. Listening to music, for example, my mood will change dramatically depending on the song. I'm affected by the seasons - lying out in the sun in summer will make me feel so, so happy, whereas I am frequently depressed in winter. And no matter what mood I'm in it will always change to correspond to whoever I'm hanging out with. If I'm happy and they aren't, I will become extremely sad, and vice versa. Even down to becoming physically exhausted, if I'm interacting with someone one on one, I empathise with them 100% and take on their emotions. I'm so affected by external stimuli that I question whether I even have any emotions of my own.

I'm an ISFJ and 9w1. I suppose the whole emotion thing could be explained by Fe (in terms of people and empathy) and Si (in terms of environment). And I've heard that nines often adopt the characteristics of people they are close to.

So, if I'm no more than the sum of my experiences, am I even a real person? Where do YOUR thoughts, emotions, characteristics and all the things that make you up come from? In a healthy person, where are they supposed to come from?

If my very being depends on what's happening around me, then who the hell am I? An empty shell? How do I break free of this? Do I need to?

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
So, if I'm no more than the sum of my experiences, am I even a real person? Where do YOUR thoughts, emotions, characteristics and all the things that make you up come from? In a healthy person, where are they supposed to come from?

If my very being depends on what's happening around me, then who the hell am I? An empty shell? How do I break free of this? Do I need to?
Reality is strange in the way, that everything exists in relation to everything else. However - that is subjective relation; relation within the system that is reality. There is also objective relation; relation to that which has made reality possible.

What this means, is that as a person, you are affected by outside influences, but you are not the sum of them. You have free will, and can choose who you are and whatever you will become :happy:

Reactions: Seeker99

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
A lot of this related to determinism.

I'm afraid I can't say much more about this, I'm sorry.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
First, identify the root.

Do you ever feel like you're placed in a specific role and that you have to respond to the environment accordingly? Do you feel as though you are too attached to superficial experiences? Or do you feel as though you're unsure of your own authentic identity as opposed to how your identity appears to be?

You may be a product of many experiences that are highly linked to external stimuli, but make reality interesting. Break out of the usual line of thinking and get a new interpretation on what makes reality personal, interesting to you.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What this means, is that as a person, you are affected by outside influences, but you are not the sum of them. You have free will, and can choose who you are and whatever you will become :happy:
Thank you, very much :proud:

A lot of people won't agree on that.
What do you mean by that?

Or do you feel as though you're unsure of your own authentic identity as opposed to how your identity appears to be?
That's exactly it. I don't know how to tell which parts of myself are true, and which are just products of superficial experiences.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I feel as though I am nothing more than the sum of my experiences.
You have to remember reality is a just massive web of interconnectedness and those "experiences" have changed your connections on how you think and feel about the external and the internal. But the thing is, without these "experiences" we really couldn't connect at all.

·
Registered
988 Posts
It's an interesting question. Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

From a purely physical view, you are the sum of your experiences plus what your DNA predisposes you towards. In essence, you are nothing but your reaction to internal and external stimuli. It may a be somewhat discomforting to some.

Of course, I have no idea about the soul.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
That's exactly it. I don't know how to tell which parts of myself are true, and which are just products of superficial experiences.

It all comes down to your 'inner voice' to be honest.

Ask yourself, what are you truly passionate about? What do you love? What do you believe in?

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I don't know how to tell which parts of myself are true, and which are just products of superficial experiences.
It's all you. All of it :happy:

As a living being with self-direction, you can direct your attention inward and ask questions. One of the most valuable as well as common questions is: "Considering what I know now, what should I do next and why?"

·
Registered
181 Posts
My perspective is that people don't need to break free of anything, they just need to let what is their distinguishing feature become dominant. It sounds like the same thing as breaking free, but the process is different.

If you're harmonising with your environment, you aren't becoming the environment. It's called your persona. The behaviour and feelings you express are an interpretation - your interpretation - what you think is required. The part that is really you is making the interpretation. You stay you all the time you're being a mimic. Not possible to be an empty shell, especially if you're asking questions like: am I an empty shell? That's the real you catching your attention, saying, hello... remember me?

All such questions are doorways inward. As Jung said, Those who look outward dream, those who look inward, awaken. He also said that the pain and chaos of awakening was so repulsive that most people run from it without delay. Your doorways open just like anyone elses. The choice is to enter or walk on by.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts