1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
INTPish (549)
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a crappy one:
applied computer science
Oh, really? That sounds more interesting than I was thinking. I just keep seeing definitions for informatics described in relation to hospitals, and those descriptions sound like informatics is just making effective data collection forms in the videos I've watched. But that sounds a little different from the definitions in videos from university informatics departments. So I'm a little confused.

·
Registered
31,262 Posts
I have heard the term in the context of a lot of European Universities and it is their word for a Computer Science degree. But it might mean something outside of that I’m too lazy to look up.

·
Host
ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE Honorary INTJ VLFE
21,038 Posts
Does anyone have a nice, juicy, creamy definition for what informatics is?
Informatics is the study of the structure, behaviour, and interactions of natural and engineered computational systems. ... The science of information and the engineering of information systems develop hand-in-hand. Informatics is the emerging discipline that combines the two.

Rectangle Font Parallel Symmetry Triangle

·
Registered
INTPish (549)
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Informatics is the study of the structure, behaviour, and interactions of natural and engineered computational systems. ... The science of information and the engineering of information systems develop hand-in-hand. Informatics is the emerging discipline that combines the two.

View attachment 886664

It's interesting that this definition comes from the UK, as @Grandmaster Yoda just mentioned informatics in the context of European universities.

I read a definition like the main one listed here, or the blurb describing something like "making human connections to computers" and I can totally see a marketing team applying that to just streamlining data collection forms, or other UX design.

But I'll see other things like (from the PDF file): "One challenge is to determine how far, and in what circumstances, theories of information processing in artificial devices can be applied to natural systems," and that sounds a little more like a science. Personally, I think that sounds way, way more interesting.

I wonder which one someone is more likely to get stuck researching on a day to day basis or studying in college, because I really feel like the business schools got a hold of the term "informatics" and went to town trying to sell it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Informatics is the new discipline of Computer science, or information technology, which is based on two words or in other words is the amalgamation of two disciplines. When we are analysing the structures, and the interaction of computing systems and their engineering mechanism, we are studying informatics. One more interesting and simple definition of informatics can be in such a way that Informatics is the way to communicate in different manners. Either it can be with the help of natural ways; with the help of organisms, cognition or psychological behaviours Or it can be with the help of artificial robots and computer systems.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts