Personality Cafe banner

81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
INFP's are known for their fine granular consciousness of emotions and feelings. This is often best exemplified in classical musical taste, where there are few new composers, and all performers can do is outdo prior recordings to make definitive performances.

I had a period of years where I literally mined websites like Gramophone and Prestoclassical for the "definitive" performances of my favourite classical music pieces, and I found a lot of them.

Then when you find them there's a feeling of "yeah! this is the one!", and you actually are right! Not necessarily right for everyone else but right for yourself. :eek:h: It's all in the details for Fi. We like it when our preferences are met :rolling: The difference in preferences with people just ends up being different associations people are carrying around and how much skill a person has in noticing detail.

Here are some examples. In many recordings I heard I found that violinists like to compete on how fast they can play, sometimes it works, but more often than not marring the music itself. In some cases the slower tempo yields a better result:

Yet, sometimes speed is more important to make the trills sound great:

What are YOUR Fi dom "definitive" classical music recordings?
In my experience, this is very true! I have a deep love for classical music, especially in combination with choirs or opera singers. It's most likely a lifelong love [which is rare for me since I usually love to change my interests and hobbies alot]. In fact, the first piece of music I heard in my life was the "Nutcracker" by Tchaikovsky. This might sound strange but I can feel something divine in classical music. It's almost like feeling a part of God. I feel every note and have a very good musical ear, hearing every dissonance. If I had not been so harshly criticized by my kindergarten music teacher, being a classical musician would have been my absolute dream job. Besides the wonderful sound, I admire virtuosity. I live in the city where Johann Sebastian Bach, Felix Mendelssohn Mendelssohn Bartholdy, and Gustav Mahler worked. This year I finally started to take music lessons and to play an instrument. Of course, as an INFP I have to relate to the instrument. I tested a) harp, b) violin, c) piano and d) cello. String instruments are my favorites.
Of course, also other types can have a love for classical music but I find it to be refined in INFP's. We have a unique bond. My ESTJ grandma loves brass instruments and marching music. It motivates her and sets her into a good mood but it doesn't affect her on such a deep level.

As I said, Bach is in my hometown very popular. He worked here and is buried here.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Yes, exactly!! ;-) We have big classic festivals here. There's the annual Bach Festival. That's a festival where musicians from all over the world perform Bach's music. The town is full of international guests during this time. Apart from the annual Bach Festival, there is also the Classic Open Air. It takes place at the Rosenthal - a 118 hectare park-like part at the northern Leipziger forest. Some of the best opera singers and orchestras perform on a stage. The audience has picnics and sits on a big meadow during the performance. It's really lovely. The best thing is that the festival is completely free. Furthermore, there is the Thomas Choir. Bach conducted this choir himself during his lifetime. The choir consists exclusively of boys who have special musical talents. They go to boarding school to further develop their musical talents. They perform all over the world and on special days they can be heard rehearsing in the church. [The church you see in the video below is the St.Thomas Church. It's the church where Bach used to work and the place where he is buried.] It's close to impossible to not fall in love with classical music in Leipzig. Many of my friends sing in a choir or learn to play musical instruments here in their free time.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I think this a diffrent version

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Meatloaf - Bat out of Hell

Opera/rock/soul all in one.

I used to listen to this song on the way to baseball games, has a special place in my heart.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Cant say I'm much of a classical music fan, though there have been the odd occasion, where its moved me deeply.
I heard this one in the wee hours, on the radio, years ago, and have loved it ever since.
When that beautiful but sorrowful violin solo comes in around the 3.12min mark...it just kills me every time.
Not sure, if could be considered contemporary classical, but it works for me

81 - 93 of 93 Posts