Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
ISTJ
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At their worst,this is how every type is seen by the populace. Challenge it and bring nuances as to how you are totally not this stereotype. GO!

INTJ: The disconnected virginal misanthrope
INTP: The nerd/fantasy obsessed basement dweller
ENTJ: The heartless narcissistic megalomaniac CEO
ENTP: the contrarian for the sake of being contrarian/troll
INFJ: The holier-than-thou misunderstood martyr
INFP: The edgelord/ whiny goth
ENFJ: The theatrical out-of-touch drama queen
ENFP: The pink-haired triggered SJW who's just looking for what to complain about next
ISTJ: The ultimate square, stick-in-the mud who hates everything
ISFJ: The doormat, blind loyalist/ good housewife
ESTJ: The anti-fun police/drill sergeant who tells everyone to fall in line
ESFJ: The gossipy, judgmental soccer mom
ISTP: The self-serving sociopath who's only good at fixing cars
ISFP: The ''WTF IS HE DOING??'' trainwreck
ESTP: The shallow, materialistic obnoxious meathead
ESFP: The hedonistic party-driven airhead

·
Registered
INFJ 6w5 sp/so
1,601 Posts
This...is 100% correct. Oh woe is me! Nobody listens! Nobody understands! Everybody comes to me for advice and guidance and never follows as they should for I know all. I see all. I am all-knowing. And I have no idea as to how. But I'm always right. /jk

How do I defy this? Every time a person comes to me for "help" I let them ramble then respond with "how are you expecting me to help with that?" Them: "But you know everything/can do anything."

Frustrated eye roll

Me, I'll either respond with a "nope, can't help you", "I don't know", or my personal favorite "consult a certified or licensed professional for I don't qualify for that". Very rarely is it something I can truly assist with or do.

In the past, I loved being of help. Collecting information and guiding others to the more proper resources and professionals. Providing advice within my life's expertise. Got so fed up with the %*$& duplicitous help me/ you don't help me / help me flippancy I finally started to ask for payment for my services.

·
Registered
INTP
4,206 Posts
I'm pretty adventurous. I like physical activities--hiking, hula hooping, etc. I dwell in a tent.

I live in my own dreamworld sometimes, but I can't stand fantasy stories, etc. I love murder mysteries/crime movies.

·
Registered
Enfp 7w8 ;p
206 Posts
ENFP: The pink-haired triggered SJW who's just looking for what to complain about next
You know this is funny cause I was actually thinking of dying my hair today.

I think I'm usually pretty chill about things and don't really complain about anything, cause there's either more to a story or a brighter side I choose to look at instead.
However if there's something that really bothers me like social in justice or things that just don't jive with my morals and thoughts of basic decency, I will complain and maybe make a banner.
So I mean a bit of a negative light but fair enough

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I'm pretty adventurous. I like physical activities--hiking, hula hooping, etc. I dwell in a tent.
The same with me, can't stand being in the house all day, I bike several miles a day and try to go to places I've never been before. I'm more artistically inclined than the INTP stereotype of hard science/LOGICLOGICLOGIC.

I can change a tire, I have a diploma in heating and air conditioning which would be associated more with ISTP. I'm practically useful as a person(if I have the motivation), friends and family treat me as a mr fixet.

Reactions: islandlight

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
All the INTPs I've met, including myself, are socially quite capable, naturally gregarious (as long as the conversation is intellectually stimulating) and often have vibrant and interesting lives that go far beyond what most people do. We tend to have small social circles, but that doesn't make us into the default awkward nerdy type at all.

If anything, I'd even be willing to suggest that the basement dwelling nerd stereotype is borne of actual basement dwelling nerds who incorrectly ascribe the INTP type to themselves because it makes them feel good.

Conclusion: WE ARE NOT BASEMENT DWELLERS! But we are very rare pokemon indeed, so good luck on your quest to snare one for analysis.

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
Also on behalf of ENTPs I'd like to wade in and say the troll stereotype isn't right either. ENTPs in 'troll' mode are usually being simultaneously correct, fair and funny all at once, i.e. it's a joke we can all laugh along with. Real trolls are usually dicks who manufacture humour at other peoples' expense. I have an ENFP mate who's way more of a troll, and he enjoys it with malicious intent, always at the expense of others.

Come to think of it, the ENFP stereotype in the OP doesn't even look correct. "Triggered SJW" is way of the mark. To me the ENFP stereotype is more like a socially adept narcissist stuck in a constant balancing act between morality and selfishness. Russel Brand is a good example.

·
Registered
44 Posts
It's true I quarantined myself for the past 5 months... and I may be perceived as a nerd. But judge yourself:

I am 26. I climbed the highest mountain of Armenia with friends. I was in Chernobyl and Pripyat. I solo traveled around Netherlands for 2 weeks (I am Czech).
Went to Serbia for a week. Went to Malmö and Copenhagen for a weekend just because I watched a detective TV show about the bridge (Broen) that connects the cities.
I graduated in Computer Security. I was a hacker for a while, made some significant money online. Found taoism. Gave hacking up. Psychedelics.
Trips. Realized I wanted to be a game developer. Became an indie game developer. Failed.
Wrote a dystopian hacker novel. Fucked around with tinder girls. Some lasted a year.
Found analytical psychology. Carl G. Jung. Mythology. Dream analysis. Freud was an amateur compared to Jung. I study Jungian psychology in my free time, it fulfills me.
Started doing jiu jitsu. Fucking love that shit. The ONLY physical activity I enjoy.
Was a wedding photographer (once, it's awesome when people assume you have authority and trust in you without knowing you, but shooting shallow weddings of shallow people is not for me.)
I spent a week in a pitch black/dark room, alone, over the new years eve, so called yangtik therapy. Had an idea for a screenplay there. Hallucinated a bit and accepted parts of my personality that talked to me and that I repressed before.
Wrote the screenplay. Found my ex-improv friends and directed a movie (about the frustrations of office work, where I worked for 3 years as a full-stack programmer, then sysadmin, and then I quit).
I write online articles regularly. Currently I am self-employed (like I should have always been, everything else is soul crushing torture), working on a game and having multiple revenue streams.

·
Premium Member
INFJ 4w3 sp/sx
1,533 Posts
You know, I tend to see myself as a quite self-focused person. I still love to help people who are very close to me (and I do so quite often) - but these people aside - I don’t have much of an agenda to tell others what to do, how to think or how to improve themselves. In fact, this kind of arrogant behavior tends to annoy the shit out of me.

·
Registered
5,990 Posts
ENFJ: The theatrical out-of-touch drama queen

ISTP: The self-serving sociopath who's only good at fixing cars
ENFJ gf probably agrees and imvho, yeah that happens.

Reactions: islandlight

·
Premium Member
15,242 Posts
INFP: The edgelord/ whiny goth

1. Edgelord:
I swear I’m not looking to shock and draw attention. I LOVE observing from the shadows. Sure, posting is my life here, but I always hope people leave me alone.

2. Goth:
About as far from dark, gothic, sad, emo, depressed, suicidal as one can get. Sunshiny, optimistic and OH MUH GOD happy. I love life.

3. Whiny:
I do bitch on the INFP Venting thread about all sorts of people, windows, things. My stupid car window is stuck. So many things irritate me.

·
Registered
69 Posts
If anyone thinks I'm a train-wreck I'm probably influencing their senses with my deceptions out of pure enjoyment.

·
Registered
9,944 Posts

Shallow
: I consider this probably the most misunderstood perception of ESTPs. Fun fact and news flash we reveal what we want others to see. So if you get a superficial side of us. Chances are we don’t want to show more. We may even think you are superficial. Or shallow. 😉 Ain’t that a kick.

And I think this is where I can get triggered is when an innocently no Ill meaning New (sometimes mistyped) Intuitive actually makes presumptuous assertions and assumes ESTP as a volume of people lack depth. So this the one outta what ya listed I will expand on the most.

I consider shallow or lack of depth to be someone who tends to lack perspective. Which comes with often what? Yeah fucken life experience. Which most estps have a lot of because they often have been in many settings and adjust accordingly. I think sometimes people Confuse and or mistake here or in personality typing as depth to be: their intuition. Um intuition does not actually automatically equate to depth. It can equate to abstract thinking which can be unconventional or creative. But that does not always equal depth. (It can though too).

Anyways back to the shallow stereotype of ESTP. I notice people can be selective in their take away on what they read in descriptions. Because it’s says ESTP are one of if not the most perceptive of types. I don’t usually hear that requoted. Instead I see more so a cherry picked REWORDED phrasing. For example Kirsey explains that because ESTPs can often sum things up blunted. It CAN appear shallow to others. Not that we are in fact actually shallow.

So then you get amateurs Ironically 🤣 skimming from the top themselves discussing ESTPs, and even telling ESTPs they are shallow 🤣. While misquoting information. That is actually really fucken shallow 😂😂😂😂.

But seriously what usually provides depth, it’s often times wisdom. How is wisdom often attained, by experience (specifically for ESTP). So yes I understand we are not always as a group the best at not being seen as callous goofballs. But some of it has to do with principles. And that’s the part many other types do not get. Just because we see it does not me we say it. We can see through a lotta bullshit. Just because we summarize it in jest verbally, doesn’t mean that is actually all it’s reduced down to in our heads.

I mean I know alotta idiots with no depth. And it had NOTHING to do with type.

Materialistic: Um I’m so/so. So actually 1. I grew up with an INTJ 3 mom who was pretty material driven. Sometimes we can be something more so inspite of something.

I do like nice things. But...
1. Not at the cost of my practical everyday living. I.e. not racked with unnecessary debt. I actually prefer to have little debt, and expenses so I have more to splurge on experience and event rather than things.

2. While I like nice things. And would say I can be superficial in aesthetic preferences. I don’t like unnecessary junk and clutter. Going back to, that I’m too superficial to want junk piled all over I don’t need. Unused Clutter is ugly to me 🤣. I can’t live surrounded by a bunch of shit.

Obnoxious Yeah I am. Can’t really refute this one like at all. I’ll own it completely. Totally obnoxious as fuck.

Meathead: I mean 50/50. Didn’t grow up in jock house. Grew up way more like rebel like. So definitely was not a typical ‘sports’ kid. Definitely did not grow up like that.

But yeah me as an adult does prefer to enjoy random Se things. Gym, dancing, in-line skating, sitting poolside, live music, breweries etc. Absolutely.

But honestly I also put my ‘meatheadedness’ to good use. You’re welcome society for working emergency response and saving you from hitting a potential person running to the road. Or stopping them from taking off down the street with a knife. Guess Se has some good use. I’m a great first responder, so if people can’t see any skill in that while they self conflate and just reduce me to an Se meathead ok.

Also let me state again I do have environmental factors of my life. As almost any type would. Ya know I had an INTJ mom that challenged me with for example chess. I play it with my INFP daughter. So not like I just am robot gym weirdo. I read articles of interest etc. I go on this silly forum sometimes 🤷🏻‍♀️🥰

·
Registered
EE EN TEE PEE
2 Posts
ENTP: the contrarian for the sake of being contrarian/troll 😃🤡
Can't really debunk this, because we think being silly will bring other people joy and amusement. I think as we mature we can try to consciously restrict our tendency for zooming out and shifting around perspectives like moving a polygon. Especially when the tone of the situation is deadly serious. I think we learn the hard way from all the Fi PoLR hits when people start throwing subjective value judgements at us. You're horrible, mean, etc. Assuming inner motives.
I have to remind myself on the daily to shut up about imposing my sudden thoughts and just listen. Or that's another thing; being more discerning about who to joust with. Some people are going to get emotionally riled up so now I just leave them be or politely state I won't discuss it with them as it's obviously a sensitive topic. Then I go research in the quiet hours of 4am to see if I was actually right, and they were wrong, and so I am more well-informed and equipped for next time...

·
Registered
363 Posts
I am more observant than most people think. However I don't consider the physical details all that important barring certain times , so I tend to consider abstract connections by default.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts

Shallow
: I consider this probably the most misunderstood perception of ESTPs. Fun fact and news flash we reveal what we want others to see. So if you get a superficial side of us. Chances are we don’t want to show more. We may even think you are superficial. Or shallow. 😉 Ain’t that a kick.

And I think this is where I can get triggered is when an innocently no Ill meaning New (sometimes mistyped) Intuitive actually makes presumptuous assertions and assumes ESTP as a volume of people lack depth. So this the one outta what ya listed I will expand on the most.

I consider shallow or lack of depth to be someone who tends to lack perspective. Which comes with often what? Yeah fucken life experience. Which most estps have a lot of because they often have been in many settings and adjust accordingly. I think sometimes people Confuse and or mistake here or in personality typing as depth to be: their intuition. Um intuition does not actually automatically equate to depth. It can equate to abstract thinking which can be unconventional or creative. But that does not always equal depth. (It can though too).

Anyways back to the shallow stereotype of ESTP. I notice people can be selective in their take away on what they read in descriptions. Because it’s says ESTP are one of if not the most perceptive of types. I don’t usually hear that requoted. Instead I see more so a cherry picked REWORDED phrasing. For example Kirsey explains that because ESTPs can often sum things up blunted. It CAN appear shallow to others. Not that we are in fact actually shallow.

So then you get amateurs Ironically 🤣 skimming from the top themselves discussing ESTPs, and even telling ESTPs they are shallow 🤣. While misquoting information. That is actually really fucken shallow 😂😂😂😂.

But seriously what usually provides depth, it’s often times wisdom. How is wisdom often attained, by experience (specifically for ESTP). So yes I understand we are not always as a group the best at not being seen as callous goofballs. But some of it has to do with principles. And that’s the part many other types do not get. Just because we see it does not me we say it. We can see through a lotta bullshit. Just because we summarize it in jest verbally, doesn’t mean that is actually all it’s reduced down to in our heads.

I mean I know alotta idiots with no depth. And it had NOTHING to do with type.

Materialistic: Um I’m so/so. So actually 1. I grew up with an INTJ 3 mom who was pretty material driven. Sometimes we can be something more so inspite of something.

I do like nice things. But...
1. Not at the cost of my practical everyday living. I.e. not racked with unnecessary debt. I actually prefer to have little debt, and expenses so I have more to splurge on experience and event rather than things.

2. While I like nice things. And would say I can be superficial in aesthetic preferences. I don’t like unnecessary junk and clutter. Going back to, that I’m too superficial to want junk piled all over I don’t need. Unused Clutter is ugly to me 🤣. I can’t live surrounded by a bunch of shit.

Obnoxious Yeah I am. Can’t really refute this one like at all. I’ll own it completely. Totally obnoxious as fuck.

Meathead: I mean 50/50. Didn’t grow up in jock house. Grew up way more like rebel like. So definitely was not a typical ‘sports’ kid. Definitely did not grow up like that.

But yeah me as an adult does prefer to enjoy random Se things. Gym, dancing, in-line skating, sitting poolside, live music, breweries etc. Absolutely.

But honestly I also put my ‘meatheadedness’ to good use. You’re welcome society for working emergency response and saving you from hitting a potential person running to the road. Or stopping them from taking off down the street with a knife. Guess Se has some good use. I’m a great first responder, so if people can’t see any skill in that while they self conflate and just reduce me to an Se meathead ok.

Also let me state again I do have environmental factors of my life. As almost any type would. Ya know I had an INTJ mom that challenged me with for example chess. I play it with my INFP daughter. So not like I just am robot gym weirdo. I read articles of interest etc. I go on this silly forum sometimes 🤷🏻‍♀️🥰
Shallow
I've wondered if my disregard for society at large gives people the impression that I'm shallow. Because I have been accused of being shallow, just never by someone that knew me well. It's not that I'm contemptuous of society, but random strangers just aren't relevant. I genuinely enjoy people but I know a lot of people and I meet a lot of people. Do they honestly expect me to share more of myself with all of these people? I do have deeper, meaningful relationships but those are kept private. I think part of it is compartmentalising life. My public life and personal life are delineated. I see other people talk about their private lives and private thoughts on social media a lot more than I do. To me, it looks stupid. They're giving strangers ammunition to hit them with later.

Materialistic
My mother was always materialistic and she's an ENFJ. I think it's because she grew up poor and she has a lot of fear of poverty. I think this has a lot less to do with personality type and more with the environment you grew up in. I spend within my means and don't go over the top.

Obnoxious
I don't think I am but I don't have evidence to refute it.

Jock
I love to dance. Does that make me a jock? I think those of us who enjoy physical activity have natural outlets built into our lives to relieve stress. That's hardly a bad thing.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts