Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the meaning of deja vu experiences?

A few days ago I went to meet a female acquaintance at a beautiful cafe, and as I sat there telling her something, I had this feeling that I have earlier sat at that very spot, at the same time of the day, facing the same woman, telling her the same thing. I stopped saying what I was saying and remarked, "I am having a deja vu experience", and then tried to go back to what I had been talking about.

It left a mark on me. I have had deja vu experiences before, like most people I suppose, but not very frequently. Each time they happen, they make me think a lot about why they happened.

I know that scientists say that this is a result of a particular kind of brain chemistry but that does not convince me. I feel that in most human experiences - joy, sorrow, mental illness, sleep - the brain is only a carrier, or a physical manifestation of psychological and spiritual realities. I don't believe that in most cases depression is caused merely because someone lacks serotonin and I don't believe that we fall asleep because the brain shuts down large parts of itself. Similarly, it is difficult for me to see how deja vu experiences are only a result of certain chemical reactions.

I have a feeling that they are related to memory in a deeper sense than we are used to understanding from that word. We carry certain seeds of memory from before our birth and deja vu experiences activate them in some ways. So I don't think that I had a past life where I sat in the same cafe with the same woman, but I feel some of the elements of that situation had been known before. It is hard for me to say anything more.

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
I don't think I've had deja vu. If I did, the actual thing happened so far after the dream that I don't remember having the dream. Sometimes, certain video games and anime will seem kind of familiar like they have similar plots to dreams that I've had, though.

Reactions: iandthou84

·
Registered
245 Posts
Hey, I have these several times a year!

Frequently they are situations I have dreamed about and then revisit, in a glimpse, in real life. I have evidence of this as I often tell my dreams to others or record them - I have checked back and realised that yeah, that was a dream that happened a while ago.

Apparently that runs in my mother's family, you know, being able to dream the future? But I don't believe in that - just that my dreams are very detailed and specific and regularly feature people and places I encounter in real life. It's not too hard for my external environment to resemble what I've dreamed, though rare and always chilling.

The worst outcome, I guess, is then the questioning if I'm dreaming as I stand there! For what it's worth, it more regularly happens on cold days or at night. I do think part of it is just the 'dreaming' sensation of being lucid as I am when I'm hypomanic, which suggests it's brain chemistry.

·
Registered
INFJ 4w5
1,534 Posts
I experience deja vu quite often. Deja vu has always felt strange to me. I feel that I have been here before, and for some reason, I get a strong feeling I will repeat this situation again and again and again, and I know there is nothing I can do about it. It scares and fascinates me at the same time.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I lean towards thinking it isn't supernatural and is rooted in reality. These are my experiences with déjà vu, most of which seem to be related to past life experiences. It makes me think that when I have the feeling of déjà vu but can't connect it to a past experience, it is possibly still somehow rooted in reality, perhaps through similar elements - lighting, sound, etc. - as a previously experienced event.

So I don't think that I had a past life where I sat in the same cafe with the same woman, but I feel some of the elements of that situation had been known before.
I relate to this, except contained within my current life. I have déjà vu experiences where a feeling comes over me that my brain interprets as how it felt to be me when I was say, 14 years old. For some reason, it's usually from age 14. It's a really cool feeling, but so abstract. I wouldn't be surprised if it happens because of similar elements between a present situation and a past one. I also - and much more often - experience a similar feeling but of when I was around four years old. It happens when I close my eyes under bright, warm sunlight. This is experienced sort of like a very specific throwback feeling of complete and utter happiness and contentedness, which I felt on a couple occasions waking up in my mom's bed, when the spring sunlight shone in through her window.

I have déjà vu dreams a decent amount, too. Some of these are when I have a dream that I feel like I've had before or one that takes place somewhere I feel like I've dreamt up before, but I don't remember the previous dream. Perhaps it is one of your theories. Perhaps it is a neuronal glitch. Perhaps I have had those dreams before but never remembered them upon awakening - we apparently (I Googled) have around 3-7 dreams a night, but I usually only remember 2-3.

I also have déjà vu dreams where I have a dream that is very similar to one I do remember having in the past. And also dreams that reference previous dreams. For example, I dreamt that I was at my old high school, and my sister and I ran away through some shortcut path through a dreamt-up neighborhood. In a later dream, I dreamt that I was at my middle school, needing to run away, but I couldn't find the path. When I woke up and thought about it, I was like ohhh I couldn't find it because I was at the middle school, not the high school.

I also have dreams that take place where past dreams did. I frequently visit a city entirely invented by me in my sleep. It's built itself over the course of tons of dreams, and I'm not even kidding has at this point built into the suburbs a little (but the suburb part is pretty boring)! Similarly, my friend visits a dreamt-up strip mall in her sleep. In my city, there are a shopping center, a hotel with a pool and swim-up tiki bar, an office building where I did a dream internship, a library, a big train station with a Starbucks and a couple of other to-go cafés - one a bakery and one with sandwiches, an airport, a Mexican restaurant, an Italian restaurant, a main highway with a bridge that goes over a harbor with sailboats, a river walk, and two college campuses, one that is complete with dorms and one that has huge marble buildings. Every time I visit this place in my dreams, it's a big déjà vu experience, though the plots are always different.

If this city was some fantasy-esque land, I would consider it being from a past life or something else supernatural, but I don't think all of these modern things would exist. If it was a fantasy-type land and it seemed supernatural, that would be super cool and I'd welcome it.

I did have a precognition dream once, and, even weirder, the event happened the next day. I don't believe that it could have been a coincidence. There's just no way. I believe that dreams can be sort of put in our heads by some other power or force. I had an insane dream that is the coolest one I'll ever have, and when it happened, what it was, and how it just came out of nowhere, I felt like it was a gift from a higher power. It also happened a few days after my heart came really close to stopping in the ICU, which I think is interesting. I feel like those two dreams are my proof, of sorts. So I do believe that it would be possible for something to plant dreams of places or times we'll never experience in our heads. I guess I'm sort of changing - or adding onto - my opinion now. I don't know what the purpose of this would be... Maybe in the case of precog dreams, it is to warn or prepare us for an event.

Reactions: iandthou84

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, at my current level of understanding, I'd say the same thing I said in response to the thread you started about coincidences. There are threads of meaning coming from the past and leading us into the future, they are invisible, and when we sense their presence we need to follow them. Then things may open us for us and unfold our destiny in ways that logical thinking never would.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts