·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
[deleted]

·
Registered
974 Posts
My memory mainly consists of past events that have impacted me somehow. Especially happy memories. An INFJ friend of mine has once called my memory "exquisite" when it comes to good times of the past.

I love getting lost in my memories, replaying them in my head, sometimes glorifying them. For example, during my first year of being in my school's choir, we had to remove a piece from our repertoire, and that was one of our most beautiful pieces. Still, our end-year concert was exhilarating beyond words, but when I relive that memory, I sometimes imagine singing that song we removed.

Oftentimes, certain things I come across will remind me of a bad memory, especially social blunders. I'll be really happy one second but then some faux pas I did earlier in my life would pop into my head. All of a sudden my face is cherry red and I'm totally silent for the next few minutes, trying to fight the memory out of my head.

As for detailed sensory information... my memory isn't so exquisite here. I can remember faces, voices, and music, but that's pretty much it. I don't remember if I was feeling hot or not on stage during choir concerts. I remember things as a sequence of events. What happened? Where did it happen? Approximately what time? What happened next? But it's all a bit of an... incomplete movie, like your memory.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
What is this thing you call "memory"? ;-)

Here's my memory. Take a bunch of photos, cut them into pieces, shake them together in a box, then toss them on the floor--that's my memory. Worse, I can't remember things from one day to the next. I say I'll do something, and just a few minutes later forget all about it! To make it more embarrassing, I'll be repeating it to myself over and over, but stop repeating it... and it's gone, replaced by the next "big" thing. This is why I carry things like Palms and smart phones. And my latest phone? I can just talk to it while it's in my Pocket: "OK Google Now, set reminder to bring home flowers from work" and bingo! It's set, so when I get to work, I see the reminder, and it stays on my phone's "wake" screen until I do it. I need things like this--I call it my brain.

·
Registered
isxp cp684
1,706 Posts
I have a really poor short term memory, but I'll never forget how certain events or people made me feel.
I also have a really good memory of things that have happened in my life that are instrumental to the way things are now. I don't know how I decide what to store and toss out but there's some kind of subconscious process there.

also I rock at remembering song lyrics. I'm awful at remembering where I parked my car or how to get to one place or another.

it just depends.

·
Registered
347 Posts
My memory is crap. I don't even try to memorize stuff anymore. If it's important I'll write it down. I have a couple of memories that mean a lot to me that I can recall at will, but even then I'd rather just focus on the present moment because it's much more vivid. I do have random memories at times that come but it's like I can't really intentionally bring them up when I want to. They just sort of appear. People are always like 'hey do you remember that one time...' and I'm just like 'sorry! doesn't ring a bell!'. Makes me feel kind of bad.

Lately I've been reading Nietzsche's 'Beyond Good and Evil' and have been really enjoying it, but it would be pretty much impossible to explain to someone what it's about. It's not that I'm reading it superficially or that his ideas are too complex for me, it's just that I need the book open right in front of me in order for me to interpret it properly. The information I do store into my memory banks are the emotional impact I had while reading it and the writing style and some of the funny insults he makes. I'd need to read the book a couple of times before I could communicate its ideas properly.

·
Registered
IXFP 9w1 4w5 6w7 Pisces
955 Posts
It terrifies me how bad my memory is. I don't even like to talk about it it's so bad.

·
Plumcot
2,186 Posts
Honestly, your memory sounds quite fine. Our memory is there to make sense of things, quick little snapshots of information really.
I don't necessarily think there are cognitive processes related to someone's memory, if you were to give a room of students a quick test with columns of random words, all with tasty desserts, chances are they would remember the word sweet rather than the three words in the lists.
Wonk wonk.

·
Registered
ESFJ
486 Posts
@alitasea
I think that my memory is selective.

Well, I will only remember something that had some big impact on me or something that I currently feel like remembering. Everything else gets ignored.

However, is not like I have forgotten anything, it is like that, what I can remember right now is somehow aligned with my current emotional state.

In other words, if my current emotional state is aligned with "frequency X", I will be remembering everything that is aligned with "frequency X" and if my current emotional state is aligned with "frequency Y", I will be remembering everything that is aligned with "frequency Y".

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
Yes good memory.

Though I remember what was important to me oftentimes I do not remember the details/information -the reasoning that so many others remember.

·
Registered
INFJ less than 1%
7,202 Posts
That's a tricky question...Im good at remembering what Im interested and passionate about. If I'm not interested I will have problems remembering, which is why I am so bad at studying. I struggle to remember information. I want to take in more, rather than remembering details of the past. My memory is better at recognizing peoples faces, remembering appointments, and knowing what places looked like.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Nah, my memory sucks and I'm probably more scatterbrained than I think or lead people to believe I am.

Impactful (on me) events, both good and bad, are what I can recall most clearly, although these memories might be fragmented or slightly paraphrased. Quoting movies, shows or books that are longer than an few words is something I've always struggled with, the same goes for detailed explanations of layouts, outfits and such.

When it comes to my own interests recalling some factual details is usually not a problem at all. The same goes for people I got to know up til and through high school, I can remember people I haven't seen in years (that I don't even know!) as long as I saw them when I was young. These days I can walk past a university classmate and not realize who it is until we've passed each other.

It's a tough question..

·
Heretic
5w4 9w8 2w1 Sx/Sp INTJ ESI
10,834 Posts
My recall memory is nearly flawless compared to what I see other people report.

This does not mean that I'm good at remembering tasks.

The ability to navigate the events of yesterday in mind is one thing,
having an internal scheduler that pings me on important things completely different.
Luckily for me I have outsourced that to phone apps, so actually my memory is flawless. :tongue:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts