Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Douchebag

Votes: 1 100.0%
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After becoming somewhat familiar with MBTI testing, the questions become too obvious as to which function they are determining. The inferior functions are a bit foreign to me (Fe, Ni, Si etc.), but would most likely lead to more accurate testing.
I Originally tested ENTP 3 years ago on my first test online test (humanmetrics), but have since tested INTP through a lengthy college test, and have also dabbled in the INFP territory in further free online tests. Basically I have become too familiar with the 16 basic functions, and require assistance and outsider opinions to remove self bias. Even in reading lengthy descriptions of many types, I sympathize and relate to many different aspects of each type.
I will use the standard sticky questionnaire format from spade's post, but would love to provide additional help/anecdotes/info to clear anything up.
Lets do dis!
0. Is there anything that may affect the way you answer the questions? For example, a stressful time, mental illness, medications, special life circumstances? Other useful information includes sex, age, and current state of mind.

19 years old, caucasian male, healthy stress levels, entering soph year in college. No history of health probs/mental illness. No drug or medicine use.
Too new to post images

2. You are with a group of people in a car, heading to a different town to see your favourite band/artist/musician. Suddenly, the car breaks down for an unknown reason in the middle of nowhere. What are your initial thoughts? What are your outward reactions?

I would think of the initial costs and effects of this breakdown. Is it my car/problem to deal with? How will I get home, or is it possible to still get to the show? If we go to the show, will person x miss out because they have to deal with their car? I would probably just swear and act somewhat concerned, but not incredibly serious if nobody got hurt, probably slightly smile for a while to acknowledge the comedy in our situation. Depending on the owners reaction, I would mirror them a bit, as to not further upset them. If it was my car I would no longer be in the mood to see the show, but be preoccupied in fixing the situation. I would tell my friends to go on without me as it is my car and therefore my own problem. They had nothing to do with the breakdown so it is not their problem.

3. You somehow make it to the concert. The driver wants to go to the afterparty that was announced (and assure you they won't drink so they can drive back later). How do you feel about this party? What do you do?

I am anxiously excited about the party. A chance to meet my favorite artist?! And possibly share some drinks with them! I would tell my driver friend "that's fine" and trust them to do what they want. After all I do not want to interfere with their fun and trust they will have the best interest for our friend group. I would not want to be treated as a baby, so I will allow them to do what they wish and am thankful that I did not have to drive. Of course I am still self interested so I will play it cool, but suspiciously watch what the driver does. If they get too trashed, or seems to make self destructive choices I will simply call a cab or fix the problem later. Obviously these decisions depend on the person, so I would use individual judgement. In the meantime, I want to drink and meet interesting new people and have some cool conversations!

4. On the drive back, your friends are talking. A friend makes a claim that clashes with your current beliefs. What is your inward reaction? What do you outwardly say?
My reaction is dependent on how well informed I am on the subject. If I disagree, yet cannot form a proper argument against it, most likely I will let it slide and consider the viewpoint, but not necessarily be convinced. If it is most likely wrong, I will offer them my viewpoint and leave it up to them whether it makes more sense, or explain where my stance comes from. If they are very dogmatic and will not consider any alternatives, I don't see them worthy of any explanation. I will let them bask in their wrongness, and save the effort. I may even outwardly act like they have enlightened me and egg them on to further explain, while secretly noting everything I do not agree with. I would wonder what circumstances lead them towards these beliefs and where they are coming from.
5. What would you do if you actually saw/experienced something that clashes with your previous beliefs, experiences, and habits?

I do not really have a clear concrete set of beliefs. If it is something I would not personally do and feel embarrassed to be associated with it I may just suck it up and make sure I am not accountable, but let it continue. If it is something I feel strongly about I may lash out and verbally assault the person and explain why it is so stupid, maybe even get emotional and attack their character. I will try to uncover the motives behind what they do and evaluate if it makes sense or is delusional. I usually take some time to react strongly, to make sure I have all the facts to make sure I don't do the classic sitcom jump to early conclusions. I always consider the possibility that my notions are not correct and that it is I who must reevaluate my beliefs. I will make many sacrifices to keep harmony, usually before it is even asked of me. (IE: offering to sleep on the floor for the benefit of others). Usually it is things that I do not place great importance in, but realize others put a comical amount of importance in it, when it realistically won't affect them that much in the grand scheme of things.

6. What are some of your most important values? How did you come about determining them? How can they change?

I definitely admire originality and self awareness. On one hand I try to be original and unique, on the other it is a constant battle to not take myself too seriously or get caught up in silly perceptions of myself or inflated ego. The ability to be self deprecating is a tactic I use often to comfort those around me and when others use this, I instantly sympathize. I do not mind making a fool of myself if I will have a good time. For example, I feel great when I dance even if some people see it as foolish. I think it is stupid to put up a barrier of insecurity that is super obvious. I would rather be the brave fool, who has a good time and I love when I get others to come out of their shell, because I have experienced those same feelings. I do still initially feel this insecurity, but weigh the options of standing around or having fun.
Another consistent trait I hold dearly is being kind even to people I see many flaws in. I don't see myself as a bleeding heart or someone who instantly whips out a credit card for staving kids. In fact I can be incredibly cold towards charities or things I hold no emotional attachment to. When people post statuses about tragedies they had no ties to, I question their motives and wonder how they can really care so much. I assume they are trying to get attention themselves.
I have been known to draw some of the social recluses towards me and include them in more socially competent company. It is my nature to not repel people because of their image or the stigma surrounding them. when I was younger (elementary and early middle school) I actually was mean to some of these types, but I have since matured and realized it was super douchey. To elaborate on this, I am great at going along with jokes or dialogue even if it is boring or unfunny. If the person's motives seem pure, or they just want to fit in, I can be very good at nurturing these people. Obviously I can't get along with everyone, but I am a skillful chameleon, even if it eventually drains me. I have had close friends from many different social groups, from soccer star, WoW nerd, Type A academic, Stoner/ longboarder/4channers. This aint breakfast club haha, but these stereotypes give you an idea.
7. a) What about your personality most distinguishes you from everyone else? b) If you could change one thing about you personality, what would it be? Why?
I am flexible and always willing to change, but can also be incredibly stubborn. To illustrate this, My friends from college were convinced expensive alcohol greatly reduces hangovers and they seemed to enjoy the stigma surrounding certain brands cough cough Jack Daniels. I saw through this facade and realized they enjoyed drinking something with cultural significance and while, there may be a slight difference in impurities and hangover, it was not worth the extra 30 or so dollars and it was mostly for the placebo. Drinking water before bed would certainly have a much greater impact on hangover quality than a higher shelf brand ffs. I argued every week to buy the super cheap brand and still to this day, champion my bad tasting vodka while we are young broke college chaps. I am also very cheap in other areas of my life, unless I deem it important.
This does not seem like a flexible man, but I assure you I am always willing to adapt my viewpoints if there seems to be something I am not considering. I thirst for knowledge that will improve me, but the ultimate folly is, that there is too much too understand. I want to be well read in literature, but it is overwhelming how many supposedly great books there are, and perhaps I won't even appreciate it as I'm suppose to. I want to know a bunch of languages, but I only know English, decent German,and a bit of Spanish and it is very time consuming to refresh them. I want to create music on my computer, but I will need to buy a microphone and live by myself and the initial investment is risky. Also Digital audio software takes a long time to master. I want to refine my logic and learn about fallacies and understand great theories, but the time it takes to prepare to even get on a level to "join the conversation" is overwhelming.
So I constantly doubt my viewpoints and understandings, because I am aware how much more is out there. I am sometimes too quick to assume I am wrong about something. I will never be content with my current state because how could I be sure of anything when I am a master of nothing. Time is the greatest ally, I want to be wise, but I am so far away from anything even resembling wise.
8. How do you treat hunches or gut feelings? In what situations are they most often triggered?
These are great for tests and quizzes especially multiple choice/ short answer. I rely greatly on this. In practical use it is only sometimes useful. It is the absolute worst when I come to a conclusion and misrepresent my stance or try to explain it and someone thinks I am a complete tard because they assume I just used the simplest thoughts or some kind of dreamy thinking. Sometimes I just smile and laugh at how foolish I must sound. My intellectual ego is not too important to me though so It doesn't matter if I take a blow. Often I will overlook facts due to these hunches. since these are usually the most obvious things to people, I come across as foolish so my intellect is overlooked sometimes. It doesn't usually bother me though, because I try not to come off any smarter than I am. Gut feelings are sometimes tricky directed towards people, so I am much more suspicious of these feelings. I have learned that any sort of hunch is almost always best kept to myself, because explaining them to others is often difficult.
9. a) What activities energize you most? b) What activities drain you most? Why?
Energize
-Exercise, I do track for my college team (light weightlifting)
-Board games with friends
-Videogames
-Hanging out with close friends
-socializing when drinking
-creative endeavors (playing with photoshop, listening/playing around with music, visual stuff from art class, some creative writing, possibly comedy)
Drain
-classes, especially group work
-socializing with unfamiliars
-shopping
-working
-volunteering
-not doing anything in particular with a purpose (IE: sitting on a crowded beach all day playing catch)
10. What do you repress about your outward behavior or internal thought process when around others? Why?
I will somewhat unintentionally flatter or very slightly amplify or repress opinions to cater to others. For example, I respect rap as a genre and listen to a little rap, but it is not my favorite music. IE: Someone puts on an especially silly rap song, with a heavy beat. In the moment, the song fits the situation. Heavy beat, catchy, and fun. Imagine this being played to a room full of 10 people. I may not respect the song, appreciate it artistically, or even think the artist deliberately meant to make a silly party song. However, I may exclaim unironically "sick song dude" to whoever put it on, because I appreciate the song in the moment for what it is and realize whoever put it on genuinely appreciates this music, possibly outside of a party scene. Yes this is a bit of a warped view from my regular tastes, and yes I may not want to hear the song more than 5 times ever again in my life, but I tactically amplify my thoughts and discard my criticisms to be diplomatic and flattering.
One more short note, I am very self aware and can control myself when drunk very well. I am not a great drinker, but rather a great controller. Meaning, I will not boast that I can slam many shots, but for my blood alcohol levels, I believe I can control my actions incredibly well, and have passed for sober many a time.
Sorry for many drinking anecdotes. Don't QQ, I am in college so these are more recent and memorable than anything else in the past.
So detectives, can you crack the case? I hope this is not biased from my understanding of MBTI descriptions as I feel some of my wording may be similar to various type descriptions, unintentional of course. Use dem anecdotes.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts