Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m feeling really lost right now and am just looking to talk/vent.

I miss the days before I was this broken person. I pretty much spend the whole day being miserable, and then I spend the whole night thinking about how miserable each day has been. And then I get up the next day and do it all again. Living is the hardest challenge I've faced so far, and it's a thankless task.

Growing up was hard. Constant rejection. Completely Dysfunctional family.

I’m completely dependent on my parents due to chronic pain problems and I’m losing hope its ever going to change. I was supposed to be graduating this year and moving out. All my appointments are all postponed because of COVID, and waiting sucks knowing I can’t do anything to change my situation.

·
Registered
23,921 Posts
I'm assuming that part of the day to day reflection and being miserable has to do with feeling unproductive/wasting life away. Are there things like tasks/hobbies/interests that you're able to do/learn while stuck at home? Is motivation holding you back from doing them?

And as above user asked, how were you before becoming broken, and what caused the break? If you'd like to share.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I do not think of myself as a good emotional listener as I often better offer solutions, but I can recommend you somewhere where you can vent to people more skilled than me at doing so. 7 Cups of Tea allows live chats where people are anonymous so they can share secrets to volunteer listeners for free. There are also a large amount of other mental health resources on the site if you are curious, as well as various mental health forums. They can't give you professional advice, but they can listen. If you can afford to get a professional, you may sign up for online therapy on this site or look for other online therapy sites.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
I miss the days before I was this broken person. I pretty much spend the whole day being miserable, and then I spend the whole night thinking about how miserable each day has been. And then I get up the next day and do it all again. Living is the hardest challenge I've faced so far, and it's a thankless task.
Nonetheless, you are a contemplative person, who thinks a lot about life. Practice some self compassion. What are the positives despite negative thoughts?

Seems as though the misery comes from negative thoughts. Challenge the ones that go through your mind . Write them out and ask what you would say to a friend in your position. Your lack of energy or body follows from your thoughts.

I’m completely dependent on my parents due to chronic pain problems and I’m losing hope its ever going to change. I was supposed to be graduating this year and moving out. All my appointments are all postponed because of COVID, and waiting sucks knowing I can’t do anything to change my situation.
You are stronger for having gone through experiences that many others have not had.

I also had problems with graduating where it was postponed, we need to judge our experiences after it has finished.

Wait the COVID thing out, everyone in the world is going through something bad because of rules imposed after COVID, I have postponed many opportunities for the same reason .

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Pretty much the same way. I'm sorry you're going through that. I don't have pain problems afaik, but psychosocial; I have autism and major depression for most of my life now and I don't think I could afford to move out, even if I graduate after the pandemic. Being autistic is a lifetime thing, so I probably never was anything but broken.

Everyone's a little stuck now because of Covid. The good thing about that is there will be people willing to listen.
Waiting is painful and hurts everyone in some way, but you're stronger than most.

Living is a thankless task, and people usually take it for granted. I really hope this crisis changes their mindset. Death can be just a sneeze away but staying alive is difficult. I hope you find people who value you and your life.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm assuming that part of the day to day reflection and being miserable has to do with feeling unproductive/wasting life away. Are there things like tasks/hobbies/interests that you're able to do/learn while stuck at home? Is motivation holding you back from doing them?
There used to be, but now almost everything seem pointless to me. I have no hobbies as I don't really enjoy anything anymore. My back kills me some days, i have no medication for it so I just have to deal which is what wrecked what was left of my motivation even though I know that I need to re-start good habits and pursue interests if I want to break this depressive cycle. I really did used to be a much more optimistic person.

Nonetheless, you are a contemplative person, who thinks a lot about life. Practice some self compassion. What are the positives despite negative thoughts?

Seems as though the misery comes from negative thoughts. Challenge the ones that go through your mind . Write them out and ask what you would say to a friend in your position. Your lack of energy or body follows from your thoughts.
What I find difficult when dealing with negative thoughts is the fact that they feel closer to the truth than positive ones. If I label it as a negative thought and let it pass by it helps, but there’s still the underlying feeling that all I’m actually doing is suppressing the truth.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
What I find difficult when dealing with negative thoughts is the fact that they feel closer to the truth than positive ones. If I label it as a negative thought and let it pass by it helps, but there’s still the underlying feeling that all I’m actually doing is suppressing the truth.
What you need to do, is write out the thought, and then ask yourself “is there another way of thinking this?”, “what would I say to a friend with this problem”, and really challenge those thoughts.

Don’t only deny them, challenge them

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Making your way through life is a hardship, sick or well, young or old. The Garden of Eden has long since passed into historical dust. Here, in the aftermath, we find life to be an often uncomfortable challenge. I have a saying that I often use at my house. “I don’t care what you are doing, it’s never easy.” The fact that we are enduring a fatal-for-some pandemic while the world runs out of toilet paper is an excellent example of what life may be like. Not to be unkind or insensitive to your present circumstances, but get used to it.

And if any PerC member has lived their life without experiencing problems or issues, please join in. I’d love to hear your story.

There are a few tricks to help you along. The first is to roll with the punches. Things are not always going to go your way. Bend like a reed in the wind, bounce back and fight another day. You may have influence but you are not in control. Adapt because stuff happens. Don’t take yourself or life so seriously that you lose the ability to ebb and flow when adversity takes a poke at you.

Remember, this too shall pass. Hardship may appear paramount at the moment and become unimportant later. The crisis of today may become a humorous anecdote tomorrow. And tomorrow the sun will rise in the East and bring you a brand new day.

Graduating? Heck, you are just getting warmed up. You have loads to look forward to. There will be lots of good stuff. Just be ready when things don’t break your way.

·
Registered
14 Posts

I don't know about your past, and how it has been difficult for you. But I want to give one advice for your current situation which you have described.

Instead of thinking about your helplessness right now, you can focus on enhancing your skills, which is going to help you when the lockdown lifts up.
We all know this that the economy has been hit really hard from this lockdown. And its definitely going to affect the jobs in future. Isn't it a better idea, that you focus on grooming your skills more, to make your future even better? This lockdown can be your reason to enhance your skills. Rather than making it your helplessness, make it a reason for enhancing your skills.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts