Personality Cafe banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys - I read in the forums about Naomi Quenk's book "Was That Really Me? and how we use our inferior functions when we're stressed and depressed. (http://personalitycafe.com/enfp-articles/76803-recognizing-inferior-function-enfps.html)

I see myself in this situation. For several weeks now, perhaps months, I thought I was exhausted and depressed but lately I came to realize my problems actually relate to using my inferior functions.

I've had bad times in the last 1-2 years: at work, been laid-off due to the company closing the office in my city, and in relationships, also had disappointments while dating.

I feel I reached a point now where I am running on empty and have no energy whatsoever. And I still have to look for a job and will try to start dating again this week as I met someone I really like. But... how do I get myself out of this rut? I hardly have energy to do laundry or clean the house. I don't feel like getting out of the house. I'm discouraged re: job search.

In the post above they talk about using these inferior functions to get out of this. Using your body and thinking. So here's my question: how do you do it really? I find it hard to believe that by doing some exercise I will get out of my depression. Has anyone been in this situation? I appreciate some advice. I am at a loss and kind of hopeless I will ever get my joy of life again :(

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Sometimes the best thing is to drag yourself out of the house to see some friends. When I'm in this state, I don't want to see anyone. So just pick someone who you generally like seeing but inevitably don't want to see at that moment, and just get over there. It often perks me right up.

You're using too much Si and Fi, I expect, to be balanced. So get those extroverted functions out, and you'll soon feel much more energized! :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Something that has helped me was starting a proper diet. Eating the right foods, less sugar, etc. At the same time I also started to workout almost everyday.
The most obvious thing about it is ofcourse the physical aspect. Better health, increased energy etc. But thats so obvious that i dont even want to go deeper into that.
The thing that i felt was the most rewarding was that I was able to break my bad habits. I was aware of them, yet I was finding all kinds of excuses why not to do those things. When I pushed myself, in couple of weeks I felt a difference. My self respect increased dramatically. And when everything around might seem like crap I KNOW that at least Im treating my body, the way it should be treated. It has kind of given me much more emotional stability. More faith in myself.

Thats just a small advice, but try it out. Maybe set a goal for youself. Mine was gaining some weight, as I am very skinny. In 2 or 3 months I have gained 6kg (12 pounds?). That alone makes me proud.

Reactions: enfpgal

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
As someone who deals with anxiety and depression, the bit about exercise is not altogether unfounded. Depression is a combination of many things, among which is the way in which we record our experiences. With depression, you're much more adept at recording negative experiences than positive ones. That's not to say that you're incapable of recording positive experiences, but rather they're not as strongly reinforced. If you're already in a negative state of mind, it's easier to dwell on the negative things and record those than it is to focus on the positive etc. Exercise helps in that it releases all of those wonderful little positive hormones that enable you to make more positive connections - a positive mind focuses on positive things, and therefore reinforces positive experiences.

However, if you're clinically depressed, chances are that exercise and endorphins just won't cut it. And exercising isn't a cure, it's just something that can help you blow off a little steam and experience a rush of good feelings. The best way to get around the blues is to examine the feelings, figure out why they're there, ask yourself if there's a way to work around them, and then make small changes accordingly. Sometimes depression can stem from a feeling of not being in control. It's amazing how good you can feel when you start taking small steps toward your goals, and take control of an otherwise helpless situation. I usually find that the thing that holds me back the most - thus contributing to my feeling of being helpless and not in control of things - is anxiety. That shitty little voice inside your head that says: "no really, there's no point in even trying. We all know you're going to fail, you're not going to meet expectations, so why even bother?" Anxiety is a bitch.

The best thing you can do to combat this is to allow yourself the room you need to process these feelings, figure out if they are useful to you, and discard the ones that aren't. If you look into CBT a little (cognitive behavioural therapy), you might find some techniques that are useful to you. Some of these may include: writing down the pros and cons of situations that make you apprehensive; and writing down what you're feeling, where the feeling comes from, and the impact these feelings have on your thoughts & behaviours.

And when you feel like you will never enjoy life again, remember to stop and really put yourself into the present moment. Because in this present moment - the point right now, in which you are reading this, curled up in front of your computer - there is nothing actively wrong. The you that exists at this very moment will not exist at the next, and ceased to exist at the last. You are constant, you are ever changing, and that is the beauty of existence - nothing ever stays the same. :)

Reactions: enfpgal and Eliyass
1 - 4 of 4 Posts