Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To start off, I'm a INTJ type 3, aaaand I am seriously depressed, it hasn't been this bad ever. I am low on money, will survive another month maybe, have no job, can't seem to find one either (engineering by the way) and worst of all - the girl I love, can't see me at all, because of her job and studies. She has no time, I understand that, but she also rejects me when I want to help her with something, anything.

I can't eat, sleep, think, do anything, wake up earlier than 3 pm. I don't know why, but I still smile, even though I fell empty as flat tire inside. Haven't properly left the house for weeks.

Talked to my psychologist friend - he said that I just need to get laid. I quit drugs and alcohol a while ago, 2.5 years to be exact and since then nothing in has really happened in my sex life, I had my chances, but I choose not to. Off course I cant really fulfill this at the moment as well, as she is unreachable for me and I wouldn't be capable doing it with someone else. And yeah, she is the one, I've never met a person like her.

I need some advice.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Try volunteering at a local food pantry, charity, or animal shelter. It will take your mind off things and let you meet some new people. It may even be a life-changing experience (it was for me, working for several years at a local food pantry and donation center). And about the girl, I'd say to tell her that if she ever needs you, you'll be there, but as of now, you need to focus on getting your life together. That way you can concentrate on improving yourself, and who knows, she may just be waiting at the end of the proverbial rainbow.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Try volunteering at a local food pantry, charity, or animal shelter. It will take your mind off things and let you meet some new people. It may even be a life-changing experience (it was for me, working for several years at a local food pantry and donation center). And about the girl, I'd say to tell her that if she ever needs you, you'll be there, but as of now, you need to focus on getting your life together. That way you can concentrate on improving yourself, and who knows, she may just be waiting at the end of the proverbial rainbow.
Thanks for the advice

While not having a job, I do already volunteer at a open bicycle workshop, I fix bikes for anyone who asks for it.. I haven't had the will to go there lately as summer is over and there are other people who can fix bikes there. And really it will make me feel more miserable, cant really do a hobby at a time when it is the last thing on my mind.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Thanks for the advice

While not having a job, I do already volunteer at a open bicycle workshop, I fix bikes for anyone who asks for it.. I haven't had the will to go there lately as summer is over and there are other people who can fix bikes there. And really it will make me feel more miserable, cant really do a hobby at a time when it is the last thing on my mind.

Hmm, what would I do if I were in your shoes (pardon the clichés)? I'd want change. Something needs to change. You're stuck in a rut, and the only thing keeping you there is your jobless state and the dilemma with your favorite girl.

It may not make much sense, but again, I advocate joining with a local food pantry and really getting close to the poor and underprivileged in your area. Not only will it compel you to view your life differently, but being around the dirty and ragged homeless people is an experience you'll never forget. These people are looked down upon and devalued by society, and when you kneel down to their level and tell them that they matter, that they are valuable, that they are human- all while handing them a box of food or even a sandwich- they will be stunned.

You'll likely discover more about yourself than you ever thought possible. I know I did. Helping others has an uncanny way of giving back to you what you give to the poor and needy. You have the power to make a change, man. You have the power to influence for good those who are broken and destitute. You have the power to make a difference in someone else's life.

And on the flip side, volunteering at such places is something you can put on your résumé. What kind of person would take time out of his life to help those who cannot help themselves? That kind of person is rare. It's all about me-me-me nowadays, but those who put others first are truly gems.

In any case, I wish you the best of luck, man. It's tough out there.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm, what would I do if I were in your shoes (pardon the clichés)? I'd want change. Something needs to change. You're stuck in a rut, and the only thing keeping you there is your jobless state and the dilemma with your favorite girl.

It may not make much sense, but again, I advocate joining with a local food pantry and really getting close to the poor and underprivileged in your area. Not only will it compel you to view your life differently, but being around the dirty and ragged homeless people is an experience you'll never forget. These people are looked down upon and devalued by society, and when you kneel down to their level and tell them that they matter, that they are valuable, that they are human- all while handing them a box of food or even a sandwich- they will be stunned.

You'll likely discover more about yourself than you ever thought possible. I know I did. Helping others has an uncanny way of giving back to you what you give to the poor and needy. You have the power to make a change, man. You have the power to influence for good those who are broken and destitute. You have the power to make a difference in someone else's life.

And on the flip side, volunteering at such places is something you can put on your résumé. What kind of person would take time out of his life to help those who cannot help themselves? That kind of person is rare. It's all about me-me-me nowadays, but those who put others first are truly gems.

In any case, I wish you the best of luck, man. It's tough out there.
Thanks, I do get your point, it's just that there is no such place of volunteering around here - eastern Europe. I might be wrong though. And again, it seems that this is not the way for me. I have been there, being homeless. Eating food from trash bins and skips, living in a squatted house, playing guitar on the street just to get some cash for boose. I think it wont make me feel better, it would only remind me of that time and believe it or not, it is actually quite fun being homeless, but tough. I wont feel any empathy towards these people, and since they are mostly alcoholics, I wont be even barely able to connect. I know it might sound stubborn, I just have a deep dislike to average homeless people, I used to have a job in a nightclub and I generally dislike lust.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Thanks, I do get your point, it's just that there is no such place of volunteering around here - eastern Europe. I might be wrong though. And again, it seems that this is not the way for me. I have been there, being homeless. Eating food from trash bins and skips, living in a squatted house, playing guitar on the street just to get some cash for boose. I think it wont make me feel better, it would only remind me of that time and believe it or not, it is actually quite fun being homeless, but tough. I wont feel any empathy towards these people, and since they are mostly alcoholics, I wont be even barely able to connect. I know it might sound stubborn, I just have a deep dislike to average homeless people, I used to have a job in a nightclub and I generally dislike lust.

Whatever the case, it sounds like you need change. This rut is eating you up. You'll most likely have to work your tail off to get a decent job. Engineering should be a fairly easy job to secure, though, if you have a solid resume and know your stuff backwards and forwards. Who knows, maybe you just need to pack up and leave town to start a new life, to be around a fresh and new environment. Start with odd jobs and work your way up from there.

(I don't think I'd make a wonderful psychologist. XD)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Whayever the case, it sounds like you need change. This rut is eating you up. You'll most likely have to work your tail off to get a decent job. Engineering should be a fairly easy job to secure, though, if you have a solid resume and know your stuff backwards and forwards. Who knows, maybe you just need to pack up and leave town to start a new life, to be around a fresh and new environment. Start with odd jobs and work your way up from there.

(I don't think I'd make a wonderful psychologist. XD)
I think I am just a tough case. I am really doing fine physiologically , but mentally - not too great.

But thanks for the help! - here - have a awful 80s music video:

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I think I am just a tough case. I am really doing fine physiologically , but mentally - not too great.

But thanks for the help! - here - have a awful 80s music video:
Aww, drat it, "the uploader has not made this video available in your country" (USA). XD Ah, well- I shall still accept your token gratefully. Hope I helped you feel somewhat better! Hang in there, my friend. :)

·
Banned
1,970 Posts
The depression, fatigue, and sleeping irregularities are all symptoms of low serotonin levels. I'm not sure if that's what you have, but if it is, the solution is simply to consume foods high in tryptophan such as turkey or get some L-tryptophan supplements. Tryptophan is the building material for serotonin. There's a slightly more potent supplement called 5-HTP which is also a precursor to serotonin, but this one has some mild side effects from what I've read.

When Serotonin is low, we experience problems with concentration and attention. We become scatterbrained and poorly organized. Routine responsibilities now seem overwhelming. It takes longer to do things because of poor planning. We lose our car keys and put odd things in the refrigerator. We call people and forget why we called or go to the grocery and forget what we needed. We tell people the same thing two or three times.

As stress continues and our Serotonin level continues to drop, we become more depressed. At this point, moderately low or “two quarts” low, major changes occur in those bodily functions regulated by Serotonin. When Serotonin is moderately low, we have the following symptoms and behaviors:

· Chronic fatigue. Despite sleeping extra hours and naps, we remain tired. There is a sense of being “worn out”

· Sleep disturbance, typically we can’t go to sleep at night as our mind/thought is racing. Patients describe this as “My mind won’t shut up!” Early-morning awakening is also common, typically at 4:00 am, at which point returning to sleep is difficult, again due to the racing thoughts.

· Appetite disturbance is present, usually in two types. We experience a loss of appetite and subsequent weight loss or a craving for sweets and carbohydrates when the brain is trying to make more Serotonin.

· Total loss of sexual interest is present. In fact, there is loss of interest in everything, including those activities and interests that have been enjoyed in the past.

· Social withdrawal is common – not answering the phone, rarely leaving the house/apartment, we stop calling friends and family, and we withdraw from social events.

· Emotional sadness and frequent crying spells are common.

· Self-esteem and self-confidence are low.
The “Chemical Imbalance” in Mental Health Problems

1 - 9 of 9 Posts