Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have looked through this forum but didn't seem to find anything related to this.

From what I read about inferior functions and how they erupt in times of stress in destructive ways, I thought of my own episodes since there were the only notables times when my behavioral changes resembled the eruptions of the inferior in the grip.

I know when I suffered from depressive periods, it was like taking trips to the Twilight Zone from acting out of character.

A few of the periods, I became more reckless in my decision making, obsessive with external details, and overindulge in pleasure and not get anything done. I shop for useless things and spent too much money when I have always been frugal. I also became too focused on my appearance and exaggerating my flaws when before I never paid attention to my appearance before. When I snapped one time, I stopped caring about the consequences and regretted my choice.

Another fact was that being scatterbrained during those periods didn't help my progress during college as well as being pessimistic about my situation and future. Negative thinking definitely hindered my belief in my ability to improve myself and implement my plans to get where I wanted to go. This contributed to anxiety and inaction that followed. I also became more irritable and lashed out to others without any reason.

To me, all of this resemble inferior se or inferior ne but since recklessness, pessimistic thinking, anxiety, irritability, trouble concentrating, etc are common behavior patterns, it makes me wonder if the theory of being in the grip is even applicable to those afflicted with depression or mental disorders. I know that taking the test under depression wouldn't be reliable.

Besides depression, I don't think I could recall any time my behavior resembled an inferior function manifesting.

What is your input on this? Would how one behaves in depressive periods be dependent on personality type? Since some types are more prone to depression than others, would the symptoms be a collective of those types' inferior functions erupting?

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
I don't think it's necessarily inferior or shadow functions. FWIW, Jung said that depression is always an introverted condition. (This doesn't mean that introverts are always depressed or that extraverts never are. It is simply a state.)

·
Registered
56 Posts
If you have a depression disorder, I wouldn't put too much thought into it re: inferior functions, as the links between MBTI and mental illness are weak and have negative, damaging connotations for everyone involved. However if you're just talking about times where you get depressed, that's a different story.

You might just be overthinking the influence of inferior functions. Inferior functions are usually only considerably damaging in very stressful times in your life, or when you're at your absolute worst. The rest of the time, depending on your level of skilled usage of course, they are more likely to just be frustrating or an inconvenience.

Since you say you're and INFP, your inferior function should be Te. I'd recommend looking for inferior Te use in less severe aspects of your life. For example, my older sister is an INFP as well and her inferior Te gives her an intense desire to be organized and productive, and she often is, but only for short amounts of time, as she is actually quite scattered brained and no matter how hard she tries she will inevitably end up making clumsy mistakes or running late. Of course there are many other ways inferior Te can manifest as well! You could try looking at this post (Accurate Typing: The Inferior Function - MBTI Notes), it personally helped me out a lot with understanding my own inferior function.

And of course, are you sure that you're an INFP? Inferior functions are actually very useful to determine type by, so if you really don't feel that you match up with inferior Te you might want to reconsider your type.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I think there is something I've heard about inferior functions being the 'stress function'. The only connection I can make is that depression can come up like chronic stress and becoming a bit argumentative/hot-headed as a result of this symptom. Chronic stress can also be a cause of depression, so there is another peculiar thing to note. There is a link though, and I can imagine someone having accessed their inferior functions a bit more frequently, than if they were not depressed.

If there are stress functions and you identify with INFP, it would be Te and Si. If you cannot identify with Te and Si in some situations (in which they come up in a repressed manner: hence in stress situations), then it is possible that you are some other type. Which is not a bad thing, even I mistyped as INFP at some point. However, assuming you have found your type, the way you stress isn't totally off base with inferior Te. Inferior Te is supposed to not just be like Te, but more an immature and negative form of Te, like becoming too focused on 'flaws and appearance' could have been Te seeking a logical inconsistency between two modes of perception - one of your appearance and one of your flaws, and indulging as a result of this seeking of 'order between the two events', as Te would usually do in a positive manner instead.

When you are stressed, what type of things do you usually talk about? Have you ever 'called out' anyone on the stuff they were doing? This is probably more an indicator of personality manifesting in a stressful manner. How you approach handling stressful situations, is more revealing of personality than the content of your beliefs about yourself in the stressful situation. ("I was acting obsessively or in a frugal manner")

And I can very much see this happening in some circumstances with myself as well, where I would activate the Fe and Si functions and become cynical and overfocus on the faults of each person in a situation, at face value.

I don't think it's necessarily inferior or shadow functions. FWIW, Jung said that depression is always an introverted condition. (This doesn't mean that introverts are always depressed or that extraverts never are. It is simply a state.)
arguably, introverted intuition (or introverted in personality) is not equated to introvert as a condition of depression or in the social sphere. Likewise, as you said, any extroverted personality types in MBTI, can get depressed and turn introverted.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Whenever I am depressed (mildly so, never clinical), my inferior Se ramps up big time, over taking everything else. I'd either work out like I've been punished, shopping like crazy, or clean my place like a mad woman. Thankfully not all at the same time.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Whenever I am depressed (mildly so, never clinical), my inferior Se ramps up big time, over taking everything else. I'd either work out like I've been punished, shopping like crazy, or clean my place like a mad woman. Thankfully not all at the same time.
Same, except for me it's Ni-Te loop. I looked so embarrassing I did not realize until one of my friends said I was acting weird for a couple of months... I looked for faults in everything and tried correcting everything and eventually lost my friends... not the best time of my life.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts