Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Depression is a disease that affects many people all over the world. This is a well-known fact.

Do you suffer from depression ? Have you come through the other side ?

I think it is one of the biggest mysteries of our world today. I often wonder; Why is depression is so common ? How do so many people from so many different places become depressed ? Is it just the changing times? Is it the societies we are forced to live work and grow in ?

I dont think that in my lifetime I will ever know the answers to these questions.

During my early teens I struggled with depression, as many before have and many to come will. Self harm was never my forte but I perfected my suicide plan to the T. No I do not intend to carry it out I am not suicidal like I was, but somehow I find comfort in knowing that I always have the option.

I cannot remember why I was depressed, It was no specific reason and from what I can remember I didn't have much to be sad about, but then again I had a lot to be sad about I thought about everything too much. When you have depression it gives you a very Pessimistic and Nihilistic outlook on every single thing that happens in your life and the world around you.

Somehow I made it through without carrying out my suicide plan, as of now I feel the "happiest" I've ever been.

Depending on your definition of happiness... for me It is the freedom from the feeling strongly about anything apart the things I want to, I've learnt to let go, I've learnt not to worry, stress or think about anything.

For starters I had to come to the realisation that in all honesty nothing matters, that it isn't a bad thing. Realising that nothing matters declutters your mind, gives you clarity to think critically about anything ! from there you can decide whether you want to be Optimistic Pessimistic or Nihilistic about whatever it is.

You have the ability to do anything....to an extent of course. You are in control of how you think, feel, Install memories and Thoughts, craft opinions and principals. You are all in your mind.

One of my favourite Psychology quotes is :What we see is the realm of the mind not the realm of the eye.
To break it down your brain constructs your perceptions. Which is completely true.

Anyway I've lost track of what this was even about, Thanks for reading if you did :laughing:

·
Registered
302 Posts
Thank you it was a good reading ;)
I struggled with depression in my teens, I got over it, but I think I'll always have that depressive tendency in my DNA, I'm sure it's inherited. Now I'm going through difficult times, so some days I feel more anxiety and sadness, but I learned from a TED talk that the opposite of depression is not happiness, but vitality. So everyday I stay active working and studying to achievemy goals, and that really helps me to feel better.

·
Registered
INFJ
5,587 Posts
Depression is a disease that affects many people all over the world. This is a well-known fact.

Do you suffer from depression ? Have you come through the other side ?
Yes, when I was younger, I was diagnosed with depression, but anti-depressants just made me numb. I'm going to psychiatrist and getting counseling, now, and I'm finding that getting help with my anxiety and poor executive function is helping, so depression could have been a byproduct of that.
I think it is one of the biggest mysteries of our world today. I often wonder; Why is depression is so common ? How do so many people from so many different places become depressed ? Is it just the changing times? Is it the societies we are forced to live work and grow in ?
I think some people just have had crappy lives. Society is really messed up. There's so much encouragement for people to be selfish,and being selfish doesn't make anyone happy, and makes life terrible for their kids. So many people were abused either physically, verbally, or sexually growing up, or were molested by someone. It's really disturbing. So many economies are in the toilet, as well. You have so many people who spend over half their waking life doing something that doesn't mean anything to them, because they need to eat and to have a house.

During my early teens I struggled with depression, as many before have and many to come will. Self harm was never my forte but I perfected my suicide plan to the T. No I do not intend to carry it out I am not suicidal like I was, but somehow I find comfort in knowing that I always have the option.

I cannot remember why I was depressed, It was no specific reason and from what I can remember I didn't have much to be sad about, but then again I had a lot to be sad about I thought about everything too much. When you have depression it gives you a very Pessimistic and Nihilistic outlook on every single thing that happens in your life and the world around you.

Somehow I made it through without carrying out my suicide plan, as of now I feel the "happiest" I've ever been.
Glad you got through that phase. I can relate to a point. For me, sometimes life can feel hopeless, when you consider things that are going on. Not sure if that's what was going on with you, however.
Depending on your definition of happiness... for me It is the freedom from the feeling strongly about anything apart the things I want to, I've learnt to let go, I've learnt not to worry, stress or think about anything.

For starters I had to come to the realisation that in all honesty nothing matters, that it isn't a bad thing. Realising that nothing matters declutters your mind, gives you clarity to think critically about anything ! from there you can decide whether you want to be Optimistic Pessimistic or Nihilistic about whatever it is.

You have the ability to do anything....to an extent of course. You are in control of how you think, feel, Install memories and Thoughts, craft opinions and principals. You are all in your mind.

One of my favourite Psychology quotes is :What we see is the realm of the mind not the realm of the eye.
To break it down your brain constructs your perceptions. Which is completely true.

Anyway I've lost track of what this was even about, Thanks for reading if you did :laughing:
What you're talking about sounds like an existential crisis. It is a very freeing thing to experience.

·
Registered
961 Posts
I cannot remember why I was depressed, It was no specific reason and from what I can remember I didn't have much to be sad about, but then again I had a lot to be sad about I thought about everything too much. When you have depression it gives you a very Pessimistic and Nihilistic outlook on every single thing that happens in your life and the world around you. :
How can you not know what you're 'depressed' about? I've been depressed for a very long time and it's extremely easy for me to understand why I feel the way I do.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How can you not know what you're 'depressed' about? I've been depressed for a very long time and it's extremely easy for me to understand why I feel the way I do.
Well it's not a singular reason, everything was depressing, that's why I couldn't really explain or understand why I was exactly depressed. There's not just A reason for depression/ being depressed. If you've been depressed for a long time you've obviously had a long time to dwell on how and why you feel the way you do, I did not.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have never been diagnosed with depression. Therefore I cannot consider myself clinically depressed. I feel that I am dissatisfied, cynical, sad and angry a lot. I have to catch myself otherwise I'll end up drunk every night before bed and irritable with my family. I have to force myself not to think about certain things in order to maintain a happy mood.

Its hard to say that I have made it through a depressive state, as I overreact, mentally speaking, to events that happen in my life. Like when my car broke down or I felt like I was going to lose my job at my annual review. None of these things are more extreme than what everyone else experiences in life, I have no business being so upset at them.

My big issue is not feeling like I think I should feel. Last New Years I was with my girlfriend watching the fireworks, all I could feel was sad because I wasn't with my friends or nothing at all. Just numb to the event. I believe this numbness will go away with time.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Well it's not a singular reason, everything was depressing, that's why I couldn't really explain or understand why I was exactly depressed. There's not just A reason for depression/ being depressed. If you've been depressed for a long time you've obviously had a long time to dwell on how and why you feel the way you do, I did not.
Even when I first became depressed the reasons were obvious to me. It's the way you talk about how you perfected a plan for suicide despite not knowing what you were going to kill yourself over, seems odd to make such a meticulous plan over an unpleasant feeling you apparently were incapable of understanding.

Depression seems to be an act of comparing yourself to an imagined version of yourself and noticing the differences. You tell yourself you should be a certain way, have this and that, and when the you realize you failed at being who you want to be the body generates a biochemical punishment to motivate you out of the situation, similar to when a fire burns you and the pain forces you to move out of the flames. Pain is how the body tells us no. Depression is essentially a constant state of being told off, at least that's how I see it.

The term 'chemical imbalance' is thrown around a lot, and while it may be true that depression is a chemical imbalance if the correct balance is supposed to be the concoction that results in happy feelings, I still don't see the influx in depression these days as spontaneous. The reason people are depressed is because life is getting easier, and when things get easier things get taken for granted. Depressive people want more than what they have and are so entitled and privileged that it results in them feeling bad because they don't get the things they tell themselves they should have, and yeah, I am talking about myself here as well.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My aunt was going through the problem of depression 6 months ago. She use to be so disturbed due to this. Apart from this she was also facing some mental health problems. My aunt's mother than consulted to Voyance Pure for her daughter's help. After the consultation, she use to feel much better than before. You can also look for help if you find it useful. Even you can check there if you wish to or can also try some natural ways to overcome it.

·
Banned
1,843 Posts
I've become fascinated, over time, with the idea of improving mental health using nutritional treatment, and seeing to what extent a person can recover from a malady on that alone. I love places like the Safe Harbor Institute (their website is down unfortunately) that provide articles and treatment protocols based on this theory. "As a simple example, Dr. Carl Pfeiffer, one of the early researchers into nutritional treatment of the mentally disturbed, found that 90% of patients classified as schizophrenics could be “socially rehabilitated” through nutritional means."

I did my own research into depression, and the underlying causes of it. There's a condition called Pyroluria, for example, which often causes depression, bipolar disorder, anxiety, dyslexia, schizophrenia, attention deficit symptoms and alcoholism. Pyroluria is essentially a catastrophic Zinc and Vitamin B6 deficiency, where the body, in response to prolonged stress or trauma, begins producing abnormally large amounts of kryptopyrroles. These bind like a magnet to the Zinc and B6 in the body, rendering them unusable, and because the body perceives kryptopyrroles as a waste product, that nutrition is simply lost the next time a person urinates. Over time, the effects can be utterly devastating, sometimes producing what could be called a total health collapse.

I would encourage anyone with depressive issues to look into Pyroluria, and also issues like Undermethylation and Overmethylation. There are even kits a person can purchase to determine to what extent these bio-issues are affecting them. Nutrition really is king, learn as much about it as you can.

Disclaimer: i've never suffered from major depressive disorder, only mild episodes.

·
Registered
INFJ less than 1%
7,063 Posts
Some people get depressed for no apparent reason. Some people develop it from bad experiences in life, others are born with it in their personality, in my understanding. Usually caused by genetics - some people are more susceptible to getting depression than others unfortunately.

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
I've experienced plenty of depression but it was pretty situational. I've always felt like people with "actual" depression had something different going on (like it was more legitimately a neurological thing). I've struggled more with anxiety. Though I have some opinions on this topic based on people I've known with depression.

I have kinda alluded to this same idea with a friend who's had depression for years. He became obsessed with answering the question "what is the meaning of life?" started reading things like Camus (I think it was "The Myth of Sisyphus"?), and saying how unless you can believe a religious narrative, which he isn't able to, then there's really no good argument that life has any meaning. Anyway I basically said that life doesn't have any meaning, that you have to assign it. But something about that doesn't suffice for him. I think he wants an OBJECTIVE meaning because a subjective one, from his POV (which is, ironically, subjective lol), is pretty much equivalent to meaningless. So this made me wonder whether having depression in the first place has anything to do with how people reason through these things.

I also know that someone actually having a depressive episode (when it is experienced in a more episodic way), tends to fit everything into a confirmation bias that's something along the lines of "everything is pointless so why bother?" So basically anything that happens to them/around them that leads to that conclusion, they are more focused on. Likewise it's challenging if not impossible to intentionally focus on a reversed perspective (such as what I described in the previous paragraph, trying to find an explanation or proof that anything has a "point"). Though I suspect that trying to think the exact opposite is an overcompensation (and that's only when someone genuinely makes the effort to change their perspective in the first place), and it's typically ineffective. Actually could even be counterproductive because then you feed the cycle by making a pointless effort, so why bother...

Reactions: NeonMidget
1 - 12 of 12 Posts