Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey dear community, I hope you all had some awesome christmas days!

Today I found something out, I really enjoy thinking a lot (I am very introspective), so I am diagnosed having depression and since I am depressed, everything feels so worthless... It´s not that I think that I am worthless, it´s what I am doing. I do not enjoy playing video games like in the past, I do not enjoy meeting friends like in the past, I do not enjoy going outside like in the past. I am a very grateful person, grateful for that awesome life I have: I am healthy, my pets are healthy, I am having vacation, I am secure.
But many things I enjoyed are not the same, they seem worthless, not fulfilling... I've read an article that this is a symptom of depression. I don`t know how to handle it...
Does anyone feels that way too? How do you deal with that?

I hope you have a good time for new year. =)

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Aside from not going out... which I do, because I don't mind strangers... I pretty much am the same and it's how I want to live. Definitely not what a mental health professional would say.

But, fuck it. It's the internet.

When you can look at everything that happens day in, day out and not think it's all fake bullshit... you'll be cured! Ha.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Hey dear community, I hope you all had some awesome christmas days!

Today I found something out, I really enjoy thinking a lot (I am very introspective), so I am diagnosed having depression and since I am depressed, everything feels so worthless... It´s not that I think that I am worthless, it´s what I am doing. I do not enjoy playing video games like in the past, I do not enjoy meeting friends like in the past, I do not enjoy going outside like in the past. I am a very grateful person, grateful for that awesome life I have: I am healthy, my pets are healthy, I am having vacation, I am secure.
But many things I enjoyed are not the same, they seem worthless, not fulfilling... I've read an article that this is a symptom of depression. I don`t know how to handle it...
Does anyone feels that way too? How do you deal with that?

I hope you have a good time for new year. =)
I don't have depression, but atm I think I could learn a thing or two from you, actually. Its so great you can be grateful despite your problems and find reasons to be happy; I love how you're grateful for your pets health too, as it really is a nice thing to be thankful for that us pet owners may forget from time to time.

For me, I'll try to look at all the things I should be grateful for too, and because of Te I also try to find practical solutions. My Mom is really sick, so I'm trying to find ways to help her get over this awful flu and prevent the rest of the family from catching it. Maybe you can ask others who are apart of your life why they are grateful? Perhaps other perspectives will give you more inspiration as to why your life isn't worthless or unfulfilling, and grant insight into why life can be quite meaningful, even if it doesn't always seem like it.

And spend time with your pets. Pets can be the greatest at helping us humans to not overthink stuff and relax :kitteh:

oh, and have a nice rest of the year too.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I’ve read a lot on depression, have had bouts of depression, and have many ideas about it.

First off there are two reasons I fall into depression that have to do with my activity level. This may or may not apply to you. I have gotten depressed when I have worked myself to the bone and need time to rest and recover. I also have gotten depressed when I’ve been moving too slowly.
So I often need to figure out if my depressed energy is emotional and mental, in which case, getting more activity daily helps a great deal, as does getting out in nature and eating good food! Maintaining a positive outlook and monitoring my thoughts for negative loops and attitudes is important as well.

If I am feeling overworked then it is time for rest. Not sure what your physical makeup is but mine is incredibly sensitive and I benefit from lots of extra time in bed when I’m physically overdone and depressed because of it. The original HSP book (highly sensitive person) suggests HSPs regularly take a week off to just sleep, and you’ll be surprised how much you actually do.
As a person whostrives for an average of 10 hours of sleep per night with several hours of rest as well, I do not follow the common advice to get 7-8 hours of sleep. I also do not believe that I personally can ever get _too much_ sleep. Yes I have heard people call me depressed when I’m spending time in bed but it is often a time of recovery so I just ignore it.
Having a cat is great fun for people with my makeup, he and I get along well with our love of napping! So I also want to say if I’ve had a very busy week, I will sometimes do a 12-13 hour sleep on Friday night and Saturday, or just add a 2-3 hour nap in there with a regular sleep.

My point is that it’s possible your makeup does not do well with basic general population advice. Find what works for you and keep coming back to it.
If it’s non-clinical depression that was simply suggested by someone that you have it, and you don’t believe you do, you might just need to try new things, that always keeps things interesting for me. Since we’re creatures of habit, take a new route home, go off your schedule and walk or run at the park, watch some dogs play at the dog park, start taking photos, go to the library and grab a stack of books.
My activities almost always involve solitude or animals or nature, and others suggest that when I’m not doing what they’re doing that there’s something off about me, so I’d keep an eye out for that as well. Introverts, according to the author of the book Quiet, are seen by many people as either neurotic or a disappointment, neither of which has to be true!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had severe depression in my early 20's. Panic attacks and anxiety also. Was on meds for approx 12 years. Been off and fine now. I determined my depression was from being a typical INFJ, something I recently found out. I recall having thoughts during that time of trying to help everyone and why everyone was angry and upset all the time. Being in college and on my own, and the pressures and expectations put on me, it led to an out of control downward spiral. I have learned to compartmentalize my emotions now. It's a file cabinet in my brain. Like the saying "a place for everything, and everything in its place." Doesn't allow any one emotion type to get out of control and take over. Was not an easy thing to learn and I don't have any good answer either for how I am able to do it. For anyone who is experiencing depression, get professional help and don't be afraid to talk out your problems with others. It's not anything you should be ashamed of.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts