Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm told that ISTJs undergo bouts of depression in common, and regardless whether this is true, I've been lately going through a tough time in my life.

In the interests of anyone in general who could benefit from this, how about we all post how we fight our moments of negative feelings and depression?

To start off, I occasionally play music on my mp3 player, watch tv, or maybe go jogging for a bit.

·
Registered
324 Posts
As you stated working out is a good thing especially if your a person that lives in your head more than your body. All that stored energy has to go somewhere, the thing is to find something you can stick to.

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
Anything physical is a good thing to do. Make sure you are following a routine--nothing makes an ISTJ feel more out of sorts than a lack of daily routine. Music and other distracting inputs are also good. As is sleep--really depressed? Take a nap.

That said, I would like to caution against "fighting depression" too much. Depression is a normal reaction to bad things happening in our lives. It is how we work through the crazy things and upsetting things that happen to us. So a temporary or mild depression should not be alarming. A prolonged and deep depression should signal that we need to do something--usually talking to an LPC is a good start. Avoid medications--we tend to go to this extreme response too quickly in our society, IMO. Suicidal thoughts? Seek help now.

HTH

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
To start off, I occasionally play music on my mp3 player, watch tv, or maybe go jogging for a bit.
I go sky-watching. There's something about the huge blue sky and fluffy white clouds that calms me down, reminding me that me and my current problems are but a small speck on the face of the earth.

Nighttimes are even better. Watch the stars and I can get to feel that I'm a tiny speck floating in a vast universe. Man there's nothing else that so painfully reminds you that your life is short and fleeting. Upside is, it wakes you up from the depressed stupor. You get to realize you gotta enjoy life the best you can, because you certainly aren't going to be around forever.

·
Banned
15 Posts
I go for a run or get some sort of physical activity. Eating healthy is important, sugar only makes depression worse. I find it helpful to be around supportive people who I trust and do activities to take my mind off of whatever it is that is getting me down. Mental Health is probably more important than anything, so take care of your mind.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've never been one to succumb to bouts of depression or anxiety - until graduate school! Now I feel like I'm manic-depressive and fighting either one or the other every day! My tactic has been wine, chocolate, sleep, and entertainment. Right now my mid-sleep-panic-attacks are gone, my eye hasn't twitched in a few hours, and I haven't had any dark-humor thoughts about my life today: SUCCESS!

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've never been one to succumb to bouts of depression or anxiety - until graduate school! Now I feel like I'm manic-depressive and fighting either one or the other every day! My tactic has been wine, chocolate, sleep, and entertainment. Right now my mid-sleep-panic-attacks are gone, my eye hasn't twitched in a few hours, and I haven't had any dark-humor thoughts about my life today: SUCCESS!
Glad to hear that. :laughing:

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
I agree regarding the medications. There are so many out there, and even if you DID get put on one by your doctor, there's no guarantee that the dosage will be correct on the first try; then you'll waste time trying to get it right, IF it can be corrected in the first place and IF it's even the right medicine.

I have an astronomy program on the computer. It's called Stellarium, and it's great. You can manipulate data as much as you want (date, location, etc.). I did a set-up of the night sky where I live on future dates (the exact dates escapes me ATM) that the U.S. will experience two total solar eclipses in the span of seven years. The first one will be in 2017 and I live approximately 155 miles from the path of totality (needless to say I will be driving to that location). The second one is in 2024 and I live in the direct path of totality. It is going to be awesome. :crazy:

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I have an astronomy program on the computer. It's called Stellarium, and it's great. You can manipulate data as much as you want (date, location, etc.). I did a set-up of the night sky where I live on future dates (the exact dates escapes me ATM) that the U.S. will experience two total solar eclipses in the span of seven years. The first one will be in 2017 and I live approximately 155 miles from the path of totality (needless to say I will be driving to that location). The second one is in 2024 and I live in the direct path of totality. It is going to be awesome. :crazy:
This stuff is AMAZING !
Fiddling with the configurations right now... Thank you so much. :laughing:

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
Ok, so I'm of mixed emotions right now. I've downloaded and played with the Stellarium program for a bit, and I'm really impressed. It is way cool and a tool I can put to good use. The mixed emotions? Whether to be mad at Sela for holding out on such a great piece of software, or glad because she's turned us on to it, or suspicious--wondering what else she's holding out on...
:crazy:

Really, thanks for the information. I love this software...

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I agree regarding the medications. There are so many out there, and even if you DID get put on one by your doctor, there's no guarantee that the dosage will be correct on the first try; then you'll waste time trying to get it right, IF it can be corrected in the first place and IF it's even the right medicine.

Thanks, will take a look at it.

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
Ok, so I'm of mixed emotions right now. I've downloaded and played with the Stellarium program for a bit, and I'm really impressed. It is way cool and a tool I can put to good use. The mixed emotions? Whether to be mad at Sela for holding out on such a great piece of software, or glad because she's turned us on to it, or suspicious--wondering what else she's holding out on...
:crazy:

Really, thanks for the information. I love this software...
Ha ha! I'm glad that you all like it. It IS very cool. I hadn't really thought about it until someone else mentioned stargazing. :laughing:

·
Registered
244 Posts
I battled depression throughout college. For me, the main side effect was sleeping too much. I'd be in bed 16-22 hours a day, not finding the energy to move. Unfortunately, this caused me to skip all my classes, and would make the depression worse when I thought about how far behind I was getting.

It took one of my closest friends, literally dragging me to the campus wellness center to see a therapist. I eventually pulled out of it, but it took time. I haven't had problems since I graduated, though...

·
Registered
125 Posts
I battled depression throughout college. For me, the main side effect was sleeping too much. I'd be in bed 16-22 hours a day, not finding the energy to move. Unfortunately, this caused me to skip all my classes, and would make the depression worse when I thought about how far behind I was getting.
Chronic fatigue syndrome? The same thing happened to my friend (depression + CFS), but she ended up withdrawing from the semester. :sad:

1 - 20 of 98 Posts