Personality Cafe banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
MOTM June 2015
4,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Depression is not something I personally like to talk about much in real life. Like many, I've become pretty good at putting on a smile and saying I'm fine even when I'm not. I tell myself what do you really have to be depressed about and I usually can't think of anything significant. I can always think of people who have much more to be depressed about than I do.

I have two young adult children in their early twenties, and I have a very good relationship with both of them. I have a husband who loves me and we get along quite well. I have a comfortable home and everything I need is supplied. As far as good reasons for depression, I don't have any. Yet, there are times that I get very depressed. Telling myself that I don't have a valid reason for it does not make it go away or seem any less real.

Unfortunately, whether there seems to be a valid reason or not, sometimes people just get depressed. They go through periods where they can't seem to get motivated to do much of anything. Nothing interest them or is able to hold their interest. Times where they can't muster up enthusiasm for anything. Times where they're not necessarily suicidal but know that if they don't shake it off they could end up there. It's a feeling of melancholy that just stays and stays like a house guest that doesn't know when to leave.

I am a Christian, and I've noticed that depression is something that is often very hard to discuss with other Christians. The responses typically make you feel ashamed for feeling as you do. Being shamed does not make the problem go away, but it does ensure that you'll do a better job of hiding it in the future. It also means you will probably smile and say I'm doing well, thank you for asking. When you are definitely not doing well.

Anyway, I found the following article I linked below. I thought it was good enough to share. Definitely good things for me to think about when I'm talking to someone who is depressed.

5 Things Christians Should Know About Depression and Anxiety | RELEVANT Magazine

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well, depression is not just related to one cast or other, it's a common mental health problem nowadays. Everyone who is suffering from depression should try coping techniques along with counseling it will definitely help. I can surely tell you this from my own personal experience.
Just try different articles you can easily find them online.
Also, make some positive changes in your life to make your life a better place.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts