Personality Cafe banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, for all you gamers out there, this one is for you. ;D It's also for me, because this matters to me a ton (see sticky here!). For those who are a fan of Dodger's, you may have seen this already, but I saw it today and I had to end my lurking status to share.

The actually discussion comes at 3:23.

Here is a link to the game.

And associated literature can be found from the British Medical Journal (legit!) here. I'm logged into one of my academic accounts right now, which autologs me into a ton of journals and aggregate sites, so if it is blocked, let me know!

So a quick note for those who charge in and don't want, this isn't a replacement for treatment, but rather an augmentation for it. It doesn't get rid of depression, but it does help those dealing with up to moderate depression cope much more easily, and can help others in conjunction with other methods much more easily.

Now, as a gamer, I think this is awesome in general. As is alluded to by the lady of gaming news above, gaming has come a long way in the past decade and has been doing all sorts of awesome things for the medical community. In this, they are providing an efficacious and above all cheap method to help folks cope, which I think is incredibly important.

In addition, it provides something which people can access themselves, especially given historically low rates of people with clinical depression actually getting treatment. Thinking outside the box in finding a way to get people help and improve those rates deserves accolades, and could do awesome in fighting what is one of the world's fastest growing medical problems.

Anyone else got thoughts? ;D

1 - 1 of 1 Posts