Personality Cafe banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

Registered
I couldn't cope with it by myself, I treated depression medically and visited therapist once a week, it worked good for me (at least comparing to my previous attempts). I also tried cbd oil and cbd vape , but I would recommend everyone to visit a therapist first, he was the main factor on my way to healing.

Registered
Only Jesus Christ is the solution. Humans life in this word doesn't have any sense outside God. You are depressed because nothing in this world can restore your soul. Only Jesus can restore your soul. He can give you happiness and peace馃檪

The thing is most intp don't tend to pose the question "why do we exist? What is the purpose of life? "

God is real, it's not the question. If you search truthfully, you will find. You'll be answered.

To all of you that deal with depression. Know that Jesus Christ died on the cross and resurrected for you to live in glory with him. He has already conquered death and wants you to live. But you have to repent for your sins and accept that you need Him in your life. You'll see the joy coming.

May the God who loves you more than the sky and the earth itself bless you. You are precious.

Registered
I had suicidal depression and agoraphobia for about 10 years starting around age 22. Always had some social anxiety from around age 14 but it got a lot worse around 22. Basically it had to do with the conclusion I came to that I would never be able to get over my social anxiety to be a functioning person in society. Suicidal thoughts are caused by feeling helpless and hopeless about changing your situation.

My strategy was to just run away from everything. I would spend 99% of my time in my room, going to university part time, part time jobs and making a little money online with affiliate marketing etc. Eventually, I was forced to fix myself when I realized my crappy methods of skating by on practically nothing weren't going to work much longer and I'd be on the streets.

For me it was all about habits. My problem was that I had been told I was smart, skilled, good looking, and encouraged to be a perfectionist all my life. The problem is that this mentality encourages you not to work hard or challenge yourself because you can only go down from smart to stupid if you fail, so what's the point of trying. And also, it implies that if you're not good at something right away, that working at it is pointless. The most important mental change I made was to focus on consistent effort and continuous improvement instead of trying to be perfect and also to realize that habits take time to change but it gets easier the more you work at it.

Once I started making that mental change, there were a few adjustments I made because of that different focus that helped me actually pull my self together. All of a sudden, I started noticing and paying attention to useful advice of all types that had probably been there the whole time but I just ignored all of it because I didn't have any concept of being bad at something and still going until I got better. If you have the right mentality, you will just steer yourself towards the right time investments that will help you.

So by having a need to get my stuff together and then just making that one mental adjustment of focusing on continuously improving my habits, I went from in 2012 being a shut in with massive social anxiety, 35k in debt, about to be living on the streets, no friends, didn't think I could work a regular job, even at McDs, to now not really having any noticeable depression or anxiety with the social life I want and making around 130k a year with a solid career. I had to put in a massive amount of time and effort and it was a lot of hard slogging through some rough work and social situations until it got better but this mentality has helped me to keep going even when stuff is sucking.

Banned
I suffered from depression for almost twenty years (I had infantile depression). Got out some years ago. It's unlikely that I'll fall back in that again, but I'm probably not immune to it either. I can attest by experience that a lot of answers provided here are great. The first one, "Inviting depression as a guest and listen to what s.he has to say", is especially relevant.

I would also add an important quote from Andrew Solomon, saying "The opposite of depression is not happiness, but vitality." To extrapolate this quote, the acceptance and the full experience of both physical and emotional suffering, of both physical and emotional joy, is necessary to get out of this black haze.

Keep in mind that depression is not an enemy. It keeps the pain at bay and allows the person to stay alive, even though it's at the price of being half-dead. Like a fuse that prevents an electrical overcharge, or an anesthesia that prevents the pain to cripple you. It saves the person, but at a great price. Turning the power on can be dangerous. In my experience, turning back to life wasn't serene, but incredibly painful.

I would also add to never say to a depressive person to "see the bright side of things" or "have some hopes and dreams" and to "make some efforts to move". If s.he could, s.he would have done it long ago already. These sentences can be empowering for a slightly depressed person, but will plunge a person suffering of depression in an ever deeper despair.

If (any of) you have some other questions, don't hesitate to P.M me.

I wish you and your dad good luck.

Registered
INTP
Like someone said above, Christ is really the only lasting answer. Life isn't exactly going to get easier if we haven't learnt contentment as we get older. And in the end you need something which will give you purpose throughout your life, no matter your age, and something to look forward to in the end. But to keep off depression isn't why I'm a Christian. I'm a Christian because no other way of living makes sense to me, and because God saved me from my sin and gave me peace with Him through Christ. The Bible gives a reason for and meaning to life and INTPs are always searching for reasons why things happen, so why not do some un-baised and in-depth research and see for yourself. Christ turns lives around.

Registered
Eh, I just reported the OP and asked for sticky as a Christmas Gift to the subforum. Happy they listened.

Registered
Discussion Starter #29
Eh, I just reported the OP and asked for sticky as a Christmas Gift to the subforum. Happy they listened.
That alarmed me at first! But happy to have started a thread that could help people!

Registered
INTP
Oh my lanta this became a forum sticky? lol.
I thought the INTP forum was supposed to be funny and shit.
Yeah I completely agree. Maybe it's a thread which is helpful for some, but some of us aren't depressed so maybe has the opposite affect, not sure.

Registered
You guys? It's literally One Thread, you'll survive.

The two are actually correlated, see Robin Williams, etc.
There's a history of first time threads that point at loneliness, depression, nihilism, etc. for this subforum (possibly others too, but they have their own MO). The idea is that stickying this thread would possibly pre-empt that.

Yeah I completely agree. Maybe it's a thread which is helpful for some, but some of us aren't depressed so maybe has the opposite affect, not sure.
....seriously? If that's all it takes to depress you....

Registered
INTP
....seriously? If that's all it takes to depress you....
The thing about depression is that in my experience it isn't the extreme that this comment makes it out to be. It's actually a scale. So the more positive things you do to get yourself out of depression the better you will feel; the more negative things (such as negative thought patterns) that you allow, the more depressed you will find yourself. I personally don't believe it's black and white even though the medical profession makes it appear this way.

In other words, no, one tiny little thing is not going to have much negative effect, and also, what I said was left open - maybe it will have a positive effect, maybe a negative. I am tending towards negative, but now that you question what I said, maybe I'm sitting on the fence.

Registered
The thing about depression is that in my experience it isn't the extreme that this comment makes it out to be. It's actually a scale. So the more positive things you do to get yourself out of depression the better you will feel; the more negative things (such as negative thought patterns) that you allow, the more depressed you will find yourself. I personally don't believe it's black and white even though the medical profession makes it appear this way. .

Sounds like you could use going beyond just your own experience.
Keeping things brief and polite: No, it isn't always that clear cut.

Reactions: spylass

Registered
Discussion Starter #35
The thing about depression is that in my experience it isn't the extreme that this comment makes it out to be. It's actually a scale. So the more positive things you do to get yourself out of depression the better you will feel; the more negative things (such as negative thought patterns) that you allow, the more depressed you will find yourself. I personally don't believe it's black and white even though the medical profession makes it appear this way.

In other words, no, one tiny little thing is not going to have much negative effect, and also, what I said was left open - maybe it will have a positive effect, maybe a negative. I am tending towards negative, but now that you question what I said, maybe I'm sitting on the fence.
To be fair though, the point of this thread isn't to wallow in depression it's to find ways to do all of those "positive things" you are referring to in order to tip the sliding scale back to a happier side. If seeing the word "depression" makes you depressed then I suggest reading through the thread, you might find something to help you through that!

I don't think anyone in this thread is saying that it's black and white.

I made this thread to be optimistic about a bad thing, I hope people see it that way.

That's what happens when you allow an ENFP to get serious about feels in here. But honestly, I have seen a lot of threads about depression on here and other subforums, I didn't think I was making something that out of the ordinary.

King of Seduction
To be fair though, the point of this thread isn't to wallow in depression it's to find ways to do all of those "positive things" you are referring to in order to tip the sliding scale back to a happier side. If seeing the word "depression" makes you depressed then I suggest reading through the thread, you might find something to help you through that!

I don't think anyone in this thread is saying that it's black and white.

I made this thread to be optimistic about a bad thing, I hope people see it that way.

That's what happens when you allow an ENFP to get serious about feels in here. But honestly, I have seen a lot of threads about depression on here and other subforums, I didn't think I was making something that out of the ordinary.
I think of it from a typing perspective.
When you come to forum and get a feel for what the personality is about you might see "show your art" on an ISFP sticky.
Random tangents on an ENTP message board.
Then it's like INTP: come stop being depressed.
Might push people towards or away from being an INTP.

Either way it doesn't make a huge difference to me, just seems like a downer for a forum which while it has it's share of downer threads is more light hearted to me.

Registered
When you come to forum and get a feel for what the personality is about you might see "show your art" on an ISFP sticky.

Either way it doesn't make a huge difference to me, just seems like a downer for a forum which while it has it's share of downer threads is more light hearted to me.

If acknowledging a thing that exists (Depression is a global pandemic at this point) makes people "not want to be a type", then isn't that customizing the truth, ergo as anti-INTP as you could possibly get? Ergo we actually wind up weeding out mistypes that way?

Registered
In terms of depression, interestingly pets (especially dogs and cats) help alleviate depression and anxiety. If it is cost appropriate and you feel like you can manage it, getting a dog or a cat can really help. It helps to establish a routine, feel like you are needed and wanted/loved, and force you to do things. In studies people with pets live longer, and they also help with bereavement.

One thing important to rule out, especially before starting a lot of medication for depression is that you don't have low Vitamin D levels (an important hormone that makes you feel happy and gives you energy) or low thyroid levels (another hormone that gives you energy among other things). You are more at risk of low Vitamin D if you are inside a lot, live at high latitudes like along the Canadian border etc, are on long term treatment with pain-killers (also causing low testosterone in men which causes low libido). Get these things checked out as supplementing these two things could turn depression totally around in 6-12 weeks.

Exercise, once you have the energy is really effective for mild-moderate depression. Honestly, just taking a 10 minute walk daily makes a huge difference. Don't push yourself to do two hours of Tae Bo (though Billy Blanks, world kick boxing champion in blue spandex is hard to say no to) - just get outside.

The other thing - laugh therapy, which doesn't have a technical definition. Make yourself laugh. It seems weird, but it releases endorphins that make you feel better. Watch some funny you tube videos of comedians. I love Richard Pryor - his old stuff from the 70s and 80s. Watch Bill Murray from Saturday Night Live back in the day. Find something to make you giggle. It really helps.

If none of those work, talk to a counselor or see a Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner or Psychiatrist to see if medication can help. Often sleep hygiene (sleeping well - the most important thing to set you back on track) or antidepressants (typical ones or atypical ones with less side effects) can make a world of difference.

Good luck all - everyone goes through something, and we all go somewhere.

Registered
Discussion Starter #39

well, I'm sorry you feel that way but none of this was my intention, obviously, being an ENFP who came here to help an INTP in need. If you have an issue with this, I'm not the one who has any power to change that... so... unnecessary complaining about it in my thread, I'm sorry.

Registered
INTP
Appreciate the small things.
Stop thinking in extremes - all or nothing. Change your language. E.g. not, every time, but sometimes. Not always but sometimes.
Exercise.
Diet (avoid all that processed food, high in fat, chemicals which throw your brain out of balance and take a long time to get out of your system - but they will if you stop, and you can)
Community.
God, Jesus.
Have something to look forward to, no matter how small - even a cup of tea.
Daily mental activity. Highly challenging is good for an INTP.
Create goals to work towards.
Have dreams.
Go to a counsellor.
Reach out to people.
Read your Bible.
Go to the doctor or hospital if needed.
Get a pet.
Go for a walk or swim.
Watch funny movies/ Youtube.

The possibilities are endless...

21 - 40 of 63 Posts