Personality Cafe banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Glad to see the thread stickied. It's here in case anyone is wanting to find some tools, or if anyone wants to contribute something they have found that works for them.

I've not experienced long bouts with depression for a while, but the first 3 days of this week were really sucky! Did my workout and run last night and things seem to have fallen into perspective since. So I'm a big fan of the endorphin/stress relieving/melt away the garbage effect of exercise. It's not a complete answer by any means, but is a huge help to me.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Glad to see the thread stickied. It's here in case anyone is wanting to find some tools, or if anyone wants to contribute something they have found that works for them.

I've not experienced long bouts with depression for a while, but the first 3 days of this week were really sucky! Did my workout and run last night and things seem to have fallen into perspective since. So I'm a big fan of the endorphin/stress relieving/melt away the garbage effect of exercise. It's not a complete answer by any means, but is a huge help to me.
At the opening of this thread, there was a question about suicidal thoughts. These thoughts have been a constant companion as far back as I can recall but rarely had much power.
Now they only come to me when I am overwhelmed (which is extremely rare) by numerous people, and groups, who work hard to severely discontent me.
Whenever a seed of difficult me, such as low opinion(s) of self worth, I let the thoughts run their course and then think of a few times when I have dealt well, and successfully, with the problems which have caused such.
This, and other beneficial changes, has been the result of therapy where I shared with a non judgemental professional, and/or caring support group, the painful secrets that I was ashamed of.

·
King of Seduction
7,164 Posts
If acknowledging a thing that exists (Depression is a global pandemic at this point) makes people "not want to be a type", then isn't that customizing the truth, ergo as anti-INTP as you could possibly get? Ergo we actually wind up weeding out mistypes that way?
If you see that INTP are the only forum with a thread dedicated to depression, then you consider that perhaps depressed people are actually mistyped as INTP. I don't see it as customizing the truth - every type has properties you either identify with or not if the people of the INTP forum think depression is a property then I could see that pushing someone away or towards identifying. I don't remember reading depression is a property of INTP therefore it's odd it's in the INTP forum as a sticky. But let the INTP forum speak for themselves.

·
King of Seduction
7,164 Posts
well, I'm sorry you feel that way but none of this was my intention, obviously, being an ENFP who came here to help an INTP in need. If you have an issue with this, I'm not the one who has any power to change that... so... unnecessary complaining about it in my thread, I'm sorry.
No need to apologize or explain. I've seen worse stickies - I just thought it was strange and made a comment but I have no personal crusade for or against this being stickied.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
If you see that INTP are the only forum with a thread dedicated to depression, then you consider that perhaps depressed people are actually mistyped as INTP. I don't see it as customizing the truth - every type has properties you either identify with or not if the people of the INTP forum think depression is a property then I could see that pushing someone away or towards identifying. I don't remember reading depression is a property of INTP therefore it's odd it's in the INTP forum as a sticky. But let the INTP forum speak for themselves.
I think it's the reflective nature of INTP and similar types that can contribute to depression. It also does not necessarily make it as easy of a fit into the world for those types either. It's not a highly treasured trait in general. That being said, not all INTPs suffer from it, and it can't be used as "a crutch" to keep traveling down the depression road. But understanding the reason, accepting the reason, can help in dealing to a certain extent. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Or maybe INTP aren't so concerned with appearances or what others don't do as to let that stop them from actually addressing a problem. Note this is a thread for Solutions, not Venting.

Or maybe it makes no sense to regard forum stickies as "canon" on what comprises a type?.

If someone is stupid enough to broad brush depression to a whole personality type over a single sticky in a personality forum and let that affect their "type choice" (lol) , they're just one drop in a vast sea of human idiocy and aren't worth fretting over, whether they are INTP or not.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I think that INTP has an interesting toolset to help people suffering from depression... so, I think that making this thread sticky is a good choice. In other words, nothing to do with a property of an INTP to be in a depressed state but more about which type can guarantee a good "entry point" for depressed people to get help.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
At the opening of this thread, there was a question about suicidal thoughts. These thoughts have been a constant companion as far back as I can recall but rarely had much power.
Now they only come to me when I am overwhelmed (which is extremely rare) by numerous people, and groups, who work hard to severely discontent me.
Whenever a seed of difficult me, such as low opinion(s) of self worth, I let the thoughts run their course and then think of a few times when I have dealt well, and successfully, with the problems which have caused such.
This, and other beneficial changes, has been the result of therapy where I shared with a non judgemental professional, and/or caring support group, the painful secrets that I was ashamed of.
Yes, I can relate. I recently heard something about someone I know who was struggling. It made me remember 18 years ago when I was in my deepest pit and those thoughts did have power. I remember one morning so clearly, sitting knife in hand and going back and forth in deciding if I was going to end it all or go to work. It was seriously close.

The thing is after I finally clawed out of that 3 year pit, I've had some of the best years of my life. Literally, I would have missed the greatest, happiest time in my life. Sure, I've had some valleys, but just ups and downs of life type stuff, I've never considered taking my life since. Just want people to know, there could be good stuff just down the road.

·
King of Seduction
7,164 Posts
Or maybe INTP aren't so concerned with appearances or what others don't do as to let that stop them from actually addressing a problem. Note this is a thread for Solutions, not Venting.

Or maybe it makes no sense to regard forum stickies as "canon" on what comprises a type?.

If someone is stupid enough to broad brush depression to a whole personality type over a single sticky in a personality forum and let that affect their "type choice" (lol) , they're just one drop in a vast sea of human idiocy and aren't worth fretting over, whether they are INTP or not.
Maybe.

Maybe not.

:smug:

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Someone misses the "What pisses off INTPs" thread.

It is too late to debate, the treacherous moderators have already eliminated redundant threads from our sticky area. It is no more than a husk of its former self.
Some would say the INTP forum became a husk of its former self the moment the T vs A thread got moved to spam.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Psychedelics changed me from INTP to INFP a little but now I have an alternate persona ranging from INTJ to ENFP.

Still extremely intuitive and not depressed anymore that's all i know.

Try N,N-DMT. I did 4-AcO-N,N-DMT

·
Registered
5 Posts
Usually as I browse the internet I try to look for websites which offer good information and I found this web site. Often when I have been to this web site I've really enjoyed the great article on this site. I shall be certain to watch out for the next article.. Thank you for the fantastic article I am going to come back in the future.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
I went into a deep depression after having my heart broken. I don't know how or why, it wasn't my first heartbreak, but for some reason this one felt more like some kind of bereavement and it utterly broke me. I remember each day having a mental image of what is best described as a black disc, or ball, covered in black sludge almost exactly like the venom character from spiderman. That kind of pulsating, sentient goo, thinly layered around this abstract image of a black disk. Somehow that became a recurring theme in my mind, I don't know what it meant but it was obviously not good, and I was sad. On some mornings I'd wake up and just cry. How fucked is that? I aged a lot that year and gained a coldness toward people that I never thought possible.

Anyway, my attack method for these things is to just remind myself that "it wasn't always like this", and wait for it to pass.

It took about a year away from my life, but it did indeed pass.

I went through similar after blowing my mind on drugs, which induced a sort of mild psychosis and constant anxiety and panic attacks. In that situation I also told myself "it wasn't always like this", and let time do its thing. Again, about a year later I began to feel normal.

I think these things are quite dependent on the individual. Some folk will have mental issues that don't just pass with time. They can happen due to physical changes, environmental changes, or deeper chemical/biological issues that won't just pass with time. For me it was environmental and a little bit physical, so I was able to just wait it out. I'm not normally a depressive person. But fuck me that was a bad year. Time is what healed me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Now, before you start, I know there's no real 'solution' to depression, but I was not going to define that in what little space I have in the title.

I can see already that many of you have depression just from skimming the forum. I don't frequent this corner much so instead of simply sharing stories I was hoping that you could offer me coping mechanisms, in particular maybe coping mechanisms that work for your type in particular.

Have any of you managed to pull out of depression? How?

Have any of you have to cope with suicidal thoughts... what do you do to fight this?
How do you know if you acttualy have depression? mild depression? some sort of bias where you forget the good bits and keep the bad ones , or are just a lazy unmotivated fuck?

·
Registered
INTP
3,449 Posts
Lots of great suggestions on this thread re dealing with depression.

As far as suicidal thoughts go.... I used to have such thoughts often, and tried a few times to actually do it. But then I felt like even more of a failure: "Jeez I can't even kill myself properly."

So now when those thoughts start coming, I tell my brain not to go there. I think about other things instead.

·
Registered
763 Posts
@daleks_exterminate What do you mean by hedonism binge? Just fucking a lot and taking a lot of euphoric drugs?
Doesn't sound like a way that would work for most people, and the first part almost impossible to achieve for a depressed introvert.
A one-shot, or a few days of MDMA have helped me cope during depressions - a reminder how it is to feel happy and that it's possible and that that feeling excist at all. But hedonistic use seems the road would just lead to the bottom. Plus all the other drugs that is a puff/pill/snort away from pleasure but only works during the period the drug is active and brings no memory from the intoxicated world back to the sober one, like alcohol, heroin, bonzo, kratom, et cetera. Those are a heavy risk to get dependent on, you get a pause from the misery, which can be life saving, but that pause can also become a reaaally long pause, where you pause life to not feel like shit. Always being on the drug, and when you're not; longing for the comfy warm blanket of the drug, being the number one goal for the sober real you, removing all other goals of life, which I think is needed to advance, including advancing out of a depression.

But yeah, to answer the topic instead, and still stay on the sub-subject of using drugs to handle depression (Observe that this is highly individual and just my personal experience):

Possitive (when using correctly):

MDMA - It's a fantastic help to get a reminder that "Damn it's possible to feel this good. Its possible to be happy!", it has helped me several times (though not taking it actively for that purpose). I've never tried it alone, but I believe it's much more efficient and perhaps crucial to take it with other people though. It's a big downturn after a couple of days, but not as bad as they say, you are already depressed, this you are used to, but the memory of feeling well will stay with you for longer and help you. Don't take it more than once every half-year or so tops, if you start chasing the feeling by taking MDMA every week instead of reflecting over the experience you had and learning that way you will ruin your receptors and on top of that probably remove the original experience so you won't be able to reflect over it.

LSD/Mushrooms - Many receive insight about themselves that make it easier to find the problem. I haven't tried it in the deepest of valleys, so I can only accord for others reviews there. But taken it while falling, and it has bounced me back up. Not due to insights about myself, but about the world in a very subtle way, and a peace of the mind that comes of that. But this is highly individual. It helps me, and a lot of other people. So I think the chance it helps is far greater than the reversed. It might be an awesome experience, it might be horrific, but you will learn things and think in a subtly different way.

Ketamine - This is a wildcard on the positive side, as I haven't taken this in the deep valleys either, and only when feeling reasonably okay. But it has many positiv reviews regarding depression. Which I belive as the good feeling has a memory into the sober world. For me it's unfortunately easy to missus in low doses where you just feel relaxed. But a big dose into the K-hole is wonderful and I think it would help an exhausted depressed brain to see some beauty in the world. Small doses i don't know, I think it's easier to get addicted to it with that weirdly enough. Take a big dose, don't take small or often.

Neutral/coinflip:

Benzo - (like valium/xanax) It's really nice to get some time off from your depressed brain, to be able to relax. Really helpful if you can handle it. But many many people can't and they will become addicted and the world will either be inside the cloud of benzo or when outside it a life with top priority to get more. Doctors prescribe it like candy, like something you should take X of every day. If you gonna use it, make sure you can't buy if over the counter in your country, don't get a prescription from a doctor, don't have a benzo-dealer who always holds. Buy it illegally, preferably only possble way through mail like darknet; it must be "hard" to get, and expensive. So you only use it when you really fucking need to have a break from the thoughts. Remember that this is my personal experience and opinion though. If I was only allowed to use a few words I'd say: Stay off it.

Negative:

Cannabis - I've heard some people say it helped them with depression but my own experience is so far from that, that I think they're lying to themselves. Even though I know drugs affect different on different people it's so alien to me I can't shake the belief that it's just the weed-is-the-savior-of-everything cult mentality some get from weed that speaks, and not the thruth. Weed has never brought me up from a depression, or up at all. If I smoke weed while depressed it just pulls me down further, and often keeps me there as I for some reason want to keep smoking even though I know it just makes me feel worse. It has rather pulled me down into depressions, from not being depressed, start smoking, depressed. Sure, the other drugs I explain to take once in a while, while weed needs to be smoked a while to get into a depression, but the cannabis-culture in real life and on the internet are so liberal and cannabis-positive, and so cheap, and so abundant, etc, that it is SO much easier to end up smoking every day or more than you should, than the other mentioned drugs.

Opiates - Has the same escape feeling as benzo, but is more addictive. Heroin is almost like nicotine, it's not that good, not even as an escape, compared to other drugs, but your brain and body itches for it bad, and you can't really point out why. Like nicotine. If you try it you need to jump of really fast to not get stuck.
Pills with opiates in them are the same, but on a lower curve. You won't get the craving so fast, but it will get there. Stay of opiates if you are depressed. If you given up and just want to escape, there's a lot better drugs than opiates, both in the actual escape and in how often you can actually escape before you need to take it just to be your normal depressed self instead of in panic and pain.

Have to take non-drug things another day as this became so damn long, just kept writing... The one that actually seems to help for 99% of the people though is the cliché workout. Do it. Get your pulse up once a day. Boring right? So is laying in the bed with feeling like shit, it's really boring. No need to go to the gym. Just do 5 minutes of high-steps or something else that you can do in your home, and take it from there.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts