Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before today, I would have thought this was an oxymoron. Maybe that's naive of me, but all of the ENTPs I know seem to be remarkably non-depressed, non-suicidal people. My ENTP cousin veers a little bit toward existential disorientation every once in a while like any good NT, but nothing more serious than that. I guess that's the pernicious thing about making assumptions about people when you really don't know where they're coming from.

Have any of you suffered from depression? What was it like? What could someone have done to help you?

I stumbled across a close friend's tumblr this morning and saw a recent post about her struggle with depression and, more recently, severely suicidal thoughts. I don't have a tumblr, but she is quite open with hers when I'm around so it's not exactly like this is secretive or that I have been prying.

I'm not sure how I should approach her about this (or if I should) but I'm very worried about her. I think that there is something to be said about respecting people's right to privacy where venting on the internet is concerned, but I can't help but think about how awful it would be if she tried to harm herself and I stood around doing nothing or if she wanted to talk to someone about it and felt like she had no one.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
veers a little bit toward existential disorientation every once in a while like any good NT, but nothing more serious than that.
Pretty much. I could say I have those rare instances of depression, but those consist of me experiencing "existential disorientation" as you put it. I love that phrasing, by the way. I'm going to recycle that a fair bit.

Reactions: knittigan

·
Registered
145 Posts
Having suffered from depression for a fairly prolonged time, while refusing any form of medication, the best way I found of dealing with it is by focusing outward. Get control of your attention and place it on what you are doing at this very specific moment, the sensations you feel, visual stimuli, anything. By doing so on a consistent basis you will stop feeding the emotions you were probably feeding for a long while. This will take a fair amount of will power on your end, but ultimately will stop you from feeling depressed if you will practice day in and day out.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I've been chronically depressed for most of my life.

An ENTP who is forced into a situation where they can't just be an ENTP will respond with anger, and when anger can't be expressed it turns inward and becomes depression and self-hate. I've gotten over this only in the last few years.

An important thing to remember about depression is that it's like any other pain: It's telling you something is wrong or broken. It serves a purpose that way.

·
Banned
283 Posts

An ENTP who is forced into a situation where they can't just be an ENTP will respond with anger, and when anger can't be expressed it turns inward and becomes depression and self-hate. I've gotten over this only in the last few years.

An important thing to remember about depression is that it's like any other pain: It's telling you something is wrong or broken. It serves a purpose that way.
I too had problems with inward anger. Harsh self dialogue and all.
I find that meditating, specifically in the sense of using Ti and evaluating situations properly (It may not be as bad as you think), following through with your dreams/plans and most importantly locating and expressing that anger in a healthy way when it arises is pretty damn effective.

·
Banned
2,198 Posts
Quoting myself (here's the original thread):

OK, here goes my personal experience:

I suppose I might be called an ambivert; both my Ne and Ti are almost equally developed. I'm not completely sure I'm an ENTP, mind you, so everything I'm writing here may be of little use to your research ;) Tests usually type me as INTP 5w4, hell yeah.

I'm using a reverse order (because I've been going from unhealthy to healthy).

I spent years being depressed, to the point of spending days in bed and doing absolutely nothing. I was a bitter misanthrope, overly critical, self-loathing, miserable and hateful, scared to death of social interaction of any kind. My self-esteem was abysmal: I was ugly, dumb, worthy of nothing. I wanted to crawl into a dark hole and die, but killing myself would have been too much of an effort. These were my most unhealthy levels, with disintegration to 1 being very visible. Not saying anything about shadow functions, because I felt like had no personality at all.

When I became a bit healthier (but still very volatile and broken), I had more energy, but since the negativity didn't wane, my behaviour was full of misaimed aggression (hello, 8w7 gut). I started relationships with extreme enthusiasm, only to end them few months later and find a new shiny toy, rinse and repeat. I lied and cheated with no remorse; and my answer to tiniest critiques was along the lines of "if you have a problem and think I'm so awful, feel free to leave". When I felt worse, I isolated myself from people completely (my phone was turned off most of the time). However, I still craved affection. I could swear undying love to someone I offended few seconds ago, because hey, it was in the past, and past doesn't matter, right? I was puzzled when they thought I was lying, because I wasn't. I loved them, but had an obsessive need to control and avoid being commited.
It took me very long to come to terms with the world and myself. I was terribly scattered and couldn't concentrate at all. I think it might have been what you call the "reverse shadow".

Okay, next step. As I ended the last doomed relationship and focused on improving my attitude, therapy and all, I felt like rediscovering myself. Behind the thick briars of hate I found a smouldering ruin of my previous life, which had to be rebuilt. It was a very hard process; I felt both misunderstood and alienated. I still didn't like people very much; they seemed dull, boring, simple-minded. I felt jaded, cynical and tired (and since I'm a dreamer at heart, it made me disgusted with myself and the world). I had no idea what to do with my life. There were days when I felt like myself, when my creativity carried me away.
As you can see, my dominant Ne started to re-emerge; however, these were the days when I was more like my third tritype (4w5, that is), rather than the second (8w7).

And here goes the epiphany. I loved drawing when I was a kid (I found my old work recently; I drew it when I was 5, I think. There was a green, fire-breathing dragon, a decapitated horse corpse, a decapitated knight corpse, pools of blood, a discarded sword and a shield, and two severed heads. I wonder what would a child psychologist say about THAT); I stopped when I was in my late teens, no idea why. As I was desperately trying to get better, I started drawing again, and learning the basics all over again. I felt enlightened. I'd missed having a creative outlet. I started writing, because I love that too. I started working and earning money. I fell in love with the world again.

Becoming focused on my artistic endeavours has helped me immensely. I became confident, not afraid of people, less scattered and hateful. It feels like I'm having a wondrous dream that has been forgotten until now, and my fire burns with passion, not anger. I still have some leftover issues, but I hope I can deal with them well enough. The world is so splendid! I want to travel, I want to learn new things, I want to create and perceive beauty. Every single day is a marvelous, unique experience, and people started to seem fascinating rather than scary.

Right now, I believe, I'm somewhere around Level 3-4.

PS: Really looking forward to your take on Enneagram 7 ENTP.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pretty much. I could say I have those rare instances of depression, but those consist of me experiencing "existential disorientation" as you put it. I love that phrasing, by the way. I'm going to recycle that a fair bit.
I'm glad that you enjoyed :)

Having suffered from depression for a fairly prolonged time, while refusing any form of medication, the best way I found of dealing with it is by focusing outward. Get control of your attention and place it on what you are doing at this very specific moment, the sensations you feel, visual stimuli, anything. By doing so on a consistent basis you will stop feeding the emotions you were probably feeding for a long while. This will take a fair amount of will power on your end, but ultimately will stop you from feeling depressed if you will practice day in and day out.
I like this. My friend and I are moving in together at the end of the summer and I'll keep it in mind... for myself as well as for her. I don't suffer from depression, but I feel like it is applicable to lots of things. Thanks :)

This is some really good advice, thanks :)

I too had problems with inward anger. Harsh self dialogue and all.
I find that meditating, specifically in the sense of using Ti and evaluating situations properly (It may not be as bad as you think), following through with your dreams/plans and most importantly locating and expressing that anger in a healthy way when it arises is pretty damn effective.
This is also really good. Off topic, but I've found that the underlined bit works very well with my (INFJ) boyfriend. Solid advice :)

Quoting myself (here's the original thread):
Thank you for sharing that. It sounds a lot like what she seems to be feeling right now.

And thanks to all of you again for sharing your experiences!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts