Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
I'd wager if feeling out of place or alone leads to depression then yes. Now I'm no INTJ; however, I still got one helluva metaphysical crisis cookin' here. I think that intellectual types are more sensitive to the foreboding implications of an absurd universe that ultimately ends. That and people are stupid.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I get depressed alot, but that's mostly because of bipolar.

·
Registered
131 Posts
In short, yes.

·
Registered
65 Posts
even looking at the word depression makes me depressed. Earlier this year I was seriously depressed.
I pushed my own buttons and questioned my own sanity. Theoretically, rarer types may be more susceptible
to depression maybe because we (INTJ's mainly) tend to only tell people things about ourselves if we feel they deserve to know rather than because we seek sympathy. That way, an inability to share emotions and problems lead them being
blocked and sinking you deeper into depression. At least, that's what I've found.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
My guess...

is yes. Course being rare means that it may be easier to feel alone and isolated which is what can make a depression even worse, IMO.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Are the rarer types more susceptible to depression?
I think not. But I have a very little sample on this so it's more of a theoretical reasoning:
different people get depressed on different problems and being 'not rare' could even be one of them.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Seems reasonable, it's harder to fit in for them. Still, I think an INFJ would be more susceptible than an INTJ, for instance.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I don't feel like saying too much without any data...
But I suppose it could depend on how people define 'depression'. Do you mean clinical depression (with the depression lasting longer than six months) or just feeling occasionally depressed?

I'm curious as to how others feel when they are depressed. Personally, I just become apathetic towards everything and everyone.

·
Banned
1,174 Posts
Are the rarer types more susceptible to depression?
Of course.

Human Beings have an inherent need to fit in. The more "different" they are made to feel and think they are the more likely they will have difficulties with the very relationships they need to survive.

·
Registered
434 Posts
It's not hard being different. It's hard not being recognized and appreciated. That's how rare types flounder.

For example, all the things I'm good at no one can see, and even if they could they probably wouldn't care. Yet all the things I'm bad at are incredible obvious to everyone (forgetful, clumsy, non-mechanical, preoccupied, unenthusiastic, disinterested, anti-social, cynical, etc. etc.)

You can feel worthless until you realize they are all sensors then you feel fine again.

·
Banned
2,020 Posts
I have bipolar so I get long bouts of depression. Every INTJ I have met in person has had some form of mental illness, including my father.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Im joining the consensus here in that the more uncommon a type is the more likely it is for there to be more troubles and stress as less people will understand them. I also think that INTJs are also more prone to getting depressed as they tend to think deeply and (in my experience) not share their thoughts and so it eventually brings you down as you continue to think about it the more negative things and try to plan for them. This just causes you to think more about the negative influences.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I have bipolar so I get long bouts of depression. Every INTJ I have met in person has had some form of mental illness, including my father.
I have no mental health issues whatsoever. The blows of life have forged my will to be as hard as the hardest steel.

·
Registered
82 Posts
INTJ's have the ability to trap themselves in their own minds, it allows us to focus on predicting as many outcomes to any situation. What do you think happens when self doubt, regret, and sadness gets thrown against our mental walls for hours on end?

·
Registered
765 Posts
In my case I've only been depressed eh, twice and it didn't last long. The first time a friend I was in love with died before I had the chance to tell him. THEN I fell in love with a guy who I'm pretty sure has NPD. That freaking vampire tried to eat my soul. I'm not even sure I was that dpressed. Maybe I was more ashamed that I let the blood sucker in. Freaking contextomy spewing bastard.

I run a lot and try to keep healthy. Works :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
It's not hard being different. It's hard not being recognized and appreciated. That's how rare types flounder.

For example, all the things I'm good at no one can see, and even if they could they probably wouldn't care. Yet all the things I'm bad at are incredible obvious to everyone (forgetful, clumsy, non-mechanical, preoccupied, unenthusiastic, disinterested, anti-social, cynical, etc. etc.)
I'm proud I'm different and better in many things - but not only people don't care, they even get jealous of my brightness. What am I to do? It's not my problem they feel stupid and bland in my presence. When people get offended that way they tend to find way to hurt you and that really gets me depressed. Aside from general existential depression that I also experience often.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts