Personality Cafe banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
INFJ, SoCom, hands-on, physical intimacy, Energy being, Project Career Temp, Wisdom Growth Temp
4,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have watched a documentary film on Youtube about the life of Derek Paravicini, which is called "Extraordinary People: The Musical Genius". Paravicini appears to be INFJ, so can someone verify? Thank you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derek_Paravicini
http://www.youtube.com/user/derekparavicini
http://www.derekparavicini.net/

This is very interesting, because his duo partner in Las Vegas, Rex Lewis-Clack, happens to be INTJ with an INFJ mother (Cathleen Lewis). Paravicini's father appears to be INTJ, while his mother might be ISTJ.

·
Registered
INFJ, SoCom, hands-on, physical intimacy, Energy being, Project Career Temp, Wisdom Growth Temp
4,300 Posts

·
Banned
1,520 Posts
Forgive my ignorance, but does anybody here know...how do personality types even work with people who are autistic? Like, do they still have the same cognitive functions as everybody else and stuff? How do you know?

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Forgive my ignorance, but does anybody here know...how do personality types even work with people who are autistic? Like, do they still have the same cognitive functions as everybody else and stuff? How do you know?
People who are autistic have personality types. I know several autistic people. One is INTP, one is ESTP, one is INFJ, one is ENFJ, one is ENTP... There's no correlations between the two... I know they have types because they use the functions... they aren't aliens.... many are on this forum...

·
Banned
1,520 Posts
People who are autistic have personality types. I know several autistic people. One is INTP, one is ESTP, one is INFJ, one is ENFJ, one is ENTP... There's no correlations between the two... I know they have types because they use the functions... they aren't aliens.... many are on this forum...
Yes, I almost didn't make that post because I was worried that somebody might misinterpret my being skeptical of autistic people fitting into the particular typology system that we're using as me believing that autistic people don't have personalities at all, which I emphatically don't believe to be the case.

To take an extreme example...if this girl was never given a computer and couldn't communicate with people in that way...how would you begin to derive a specific personality type for her? -

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Yes, I almost didn't make that post because I was worried that somebody might misinterpret my being skeptical of autistic people fitting into the particular typology system that we're using as me believing that autistic people don't have personalities at all, which I emphatically don't believe to be the case.

To take an extreme example...if this girl was never given a computer and couldn't communicate with people in that way...how would you begin to derive a specific personality type for her? -

How would you? You are a skeptic of the system. Don't hide your motives. If you don't believe this stuff, stop complaining to me about it...

·
Banned
1,520 Posts
How would you? You are a skeptic of the system. Don't hide your motives. If you don't believe this stuff, stop complaining to me about it...
Fuck this oversensitive post. I haven't hidden any of my motives, I'm just interested in learning more about autism. I have no belief either way at the moment because I don't know anything. That's why I'm asking questions about it. I literally have no idea what you're insinuating about me here, but whatever it is, fuck off.

Anybody else?

Edit: On reflection, while I still 100% maintain that what I have written above is a good quality post (and I'm reluctant to add this edit for that reason), I do appreciate that there is a certain nobility about you challenging me on this point. You obviously care about these people deeply, and that's admirable. It just bothers me that I am kind of being exempted from learning more about autism by virtue of the fact that I don't know anything about it.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Fuck this oversensitive post. I haven't hidden any of my motives, I'm just interested in learning more about autism. I have no belief either way at the moment because I don't know anything. That's why I'm asking questions about it. I literally have no idea what you're insinuating about me here, but whatever it is, fuck off.

Anybody else?

Edit: On reflection, while I still 100% maintain that what I have written above is a good quality post (and I'm reluctant to add this edit for that reason), I do appreciate that there is a certain nobility about you challenging me on this point. You obviously care about these people deeply, and that's admirable. It just bothers me that I am kind of being exempted from learning more about autism by virtue of the fact that I don't know anything about it.
Honestly, I don't remember what I posted, but that I felt awkward posting it. It's been a stressful past couple of weeks, and I go to a group meeting every week with a therapist. There's one autistic kid in the group, and there used to be others. It's a social anxiety club. I suffer chronic anxiety, but with my medicines it's perfectly fine now, so I don't need the group. But I like to contribute to the group, because it was helpful in some ways. I learned to see the types better in those groups, so the connection to MBTI is strong for me. That's probably why I overreacted or reacted in the way I did.

I'm glad you posted this though. I wasn't angry at your original post. I think people have the assumption that sociopaths or name any mentally "disordered" person or "differently abled" or whatever might not function in the same way as the types. But I've found this is not the case. I think I have a mentally disordered friend, it's hard to tell, but he's clearly mentally disordered in some way, and he's clearly an ISTP...

·
Registered
323 Posts

Is there a way to call you stupid without infringing the forum rules?

Edit: While I am at it, there should be a rule proibiting Sparky and DJeter from posting in the same thread.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Is there a way to call you stupid without infringing the forum rules?

Edit: While I am at it, there should be a rule proibiting Sparky and DJeter from posting in the same thread.
Probably yes, but one would have to have a solid grasp of language and its effect. Speaking of lacking, your post is lacking any meaningful contribution to the discussion. So if you'd like to just insult me, do so in a PM, and don't waste a mods time fixing your wasteful posts.

·
Banned
1,520 Posts
In general - obviously calling somebody stupid saves everybody a lot of time, but when that option isn't available, a good way to achieve the same effect is to just bombard them with logic until they begin to feel stupid themselves.

·
Banned
1,520 Posts
I'm glad you posted this though. I wasn't angry at your original post. I think people have the assumption that sociopaths or name any mentally "disordered" person or "differently abled" or whatever might not function in the same way as the types. But I've found this is not the case. I think I have a mentally disordered friend, it's hard to tell, but he's clearly mentally disordered in some way, and he's clearly an ISTP...
The reason I asked in the first place was because I actually assume that everybody on earth ever fits into one of the sixteen personality types. I just have no evidence to support that, so I was hoping that somebody else would provide some bitchin' evidence to support my initial assumption. The scientific method thing is - if you have a hypothesis, you seek to disprove it. Which is why I was/am skeptical...that's the way you reach the truth.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
The reason I asked in the first place was because I actually assume that everybody on earth ever fits into one of the sixteen personality types. I just have no evidence to support that, so I was hoping that somebody else would provide some bitchin' evidence to support my initial assumption. The scientific method thing is - if you have a hypothesis, you seek to disprove it. Which is why I was/am skeptical...that's the way you reach the truth.
I understand what you're doing. I'm sorry I reacted like that. Continue in your quest. I'll have you know, most rational people I talk to about this think it's bullshit. I hope we're not wasting our time, but either way, if it's true or false, we'll have at least proved something.

·
Registered
323 Posts
So if you'd like to just insult me, blah blah blah.

My intention wasn't to hurt your precious feelings or whatever. I meant something very precise with "stupid" - that your rational [logic + empiricism] capabilities are ridiculously bad and they'll probably won't improve much. Ever.

In general - obviously calling somebody stupid saves everybody a lot of time, but when that option isn't available, a good way to achieve the same effect is to just bombard them with logic until they begin to feel stupid themselves.

That would make me stupid, for spending such a scarce resource as time with such hopeless activity.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.