Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
MOTM Feb 2016
10,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Instructions: Please don't read other people's posts until after you've completed yours. Skip over the explanation until after you've written your responses.

I. I would like you to conceive of a room or physical, indoor space that's beautiful. The room can serve any purpose and have any qualities. I would like to to reach into the depths of your imagination and conceive of some physical space which would induce a sense of elation, awe, and wonder. Try to think of what it feels like to experience profound awe, wonder, and fixation, then project this feeling around you and tell me what it would look like.

II. Describe to me why you think this space is beautiful.

So, I'm personally trying to understand what sorts of physical spaces and the qualities in those spaces create certain ecstatic feelings in people. I believe that our brain interprets the world through pattern-recognition and that the recognition of patterns is an inherently good feeling to us. I believe that certain patterns vary from one another in the intensity of the feeling that they produce and perhaps the type of feeling that they produce. Although I'm going to continue doing research in addition to this thread, I would like to get some initial input from people.

Thanks for your help.

·
MOTM July 2015
6,265 Posts
Does "physical" mean it should obey the common laws of physics or can I go really wild? :p
btw. This is an awesome idea and I already love this thread. I say.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Here's mine. I put it in spoiler tags, so it's harder for people to glance at it before doing theirs. :happy:

There's freakin' blue jewels on the ceiling, holy crap. And the ceiling stretches so far upward with its gilded color, into a magnificent curve. It's almost like a church, but the walls... the walls are see-through glass panel with mechanical whirring going on behind them, just loud enough to be like a dim purr. It's like being inside a living, breathing mechanical organism.

And the floors... they're covered in rich, plush mats with a foamy quality to them, colored a dark grey. Like the floor is a large bed in all directions.

There are two windows in the ceiling, both trimmed with gold, letting sunlight stream in from above, casting a beautiful glow on the gray of the mats below. And one door on either end of the room, both gold like the windows, with sleek black see-through knobs and mechanical whirring underneath.

It's like you can lie down anywhere in the room in complete relaxation and feel the pulse of the world from inside. It's beautiful because it's so subtle and yet so rich, so calm and unassuming, and yet so complex in its workings underneath. Almost like being inside a computer program, but with a humanity to it in equal measure.

·
Registered
INTP (I thimk) 5w
17,212 Posts
I. I would like you to conceive of a room or physical, indoor space that's beautiful. The room can serve any purpose and have any qualities. I would like to to reach into the depths of your imagination and conceive of some physical space which would induce a sense of elation, awe, and wonder. Try to think of what it feels like to experience profound awe, wonder, and fixation, then project this feeling around you and tell me what it would look like.
I don't believe I've ever been in such a room. The room would have to be "beautiful" as well as have me feel at peace if I were in it. (You haven't said I had to be in the room.) I've seen many museums with rooms of art and wealthy people which are supposed to be beautiful but that's theirs, not mine.

II. Describe to me why you think this space is beautiful.

So, I'm personally trying to understand what sorts of physical spaces and the qualities in those spaces create certain ecstatic feelings in people. I believe that our brain interprets the world through pattern-recognition and that the recognition of patterns is an inherently good feeling to us. I believe that certain patterns vary from one another in the intensity of the feeling that they produce and perhaps the type of feeling that they produce. Although I'm going to continue doing research in addition to this thread, I would like to get some initial input from people.
I'd like to be in such a room. It would have to have harmony with both me, the objects within the room, it's functionality and possibly placed with a view.
Details: Modestly good lighting. Chairs, desk, wall decor of art. Golden mean rectangle shape. Modest height. Press a button and "ugly" things like computes and TV disappear.

Last year when I was on vacation I saw a small wonderful Italian desk for $350 I'd love to have had. (I believe I took a photo but where is it?) This would be in the room but would not be enough. I have no space for such a desk and I couldn't have transported it in my car anyway.

·
MOTM Feb 2016
10,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does "physical" mean it should obey the common laws of physics or can I go really wild? :p
btw. This is an awesome idea and I already love this thread. I say.
No, it needn't obey the common laws of physics. You may go as wild as you would like.

·
Registered
907 Posts
1. I have been thinking about this place for years, and it would be a greenhouse in glass and wrought iron, three stories high with rounded upper corners and a spike in the middle of the roof that points to the sky. the inside would be a wide open room, where you can see the forest outside through the glass walls, and the sky up above through the glass ceiling. The inside would be filled with exotic plants. Trees planted in the ground with flowers around them and pots with different specimens. The middle section would be a couple of steps lower than the rest, and there would be a black grand piano. In one corner of the higher level there would be a table and chairs, all in different styles, old and used. The floors would be irregular stone tiles where there wasn't forest floor, and green plants and multicolored flowers everywhere. Vines, ferns, butterflies that have come in there by themselves fly around, with other bugs and maybe even a snake or two, but they were all free to go as they want.

2. This is beautiful because it is as outside as you can get while being inside.

·
MOTM July 2015
6,265 Posts
Okay, I went just a bit wild.

So... I would actually begin with the fact that I'm generally more 'sensitive' to sounds than any other stimuli, so the room certaily can't be silent. It would be a big space but full of all kinds of plants- sort of jungle-like, or like a botanical garden, (I guess that could be the purpose of the room) so it would give off a friendly 'cozy' vibe. Partly the sorroundings would consist of various crystal and mineral forms. The lights would be dim, coming from the crystals. I'm weirdly fond of indigo, purple and similar colors so these would dominate. There would be no straight lines nor corners, it would rather be some Gaudi-ish design, the walls would constantly change colors and patterns (but not too fast. We wanna be happy and calm, not distressed!) ,preferably fractal or space-like patterns. The ceiling would be either made of glass, allowing you to see the sky, or shaped like ceilings in late gothic cathedrals.The air would smell of a rainy summer day and white sage. There would be all sorts of birds. I couldn't really stand complete silence for too long and, as I mentioned, and the moments when I felt the most "awe, wonder and fixation', were always caused by music and sound (thouh I get similar feelings from observing the night sky). So the room would be always filled with sound of falling rain and distant thunder, birds' singing or some calm and happy music. I'm thinking of a kind of sound produced by glass harmonica or maybe bells... Airy, clear sounds.
Oh right, the floor would be all grass. It would also be nice if the air wasn't dry, more of a 'right after rain' kind, and not too warm. So that you can run around and not get all sweaty. Because I would most likely use this room for dancing and singing like crazy or wallowing mindlessly in the grass:p
I'll google a few things that have some of the qualities I'm thinking of, or evoke the kind of feel I'd yearn for. For some reason the site keeps refreshing iself whenever I change the tab idk.

(There is a possibility that I will drop by and add something or come up with another room. I love coming up with such things, my Ne is making lots of happy noises.)

Okay so I think my description was pretty vivid but just in case, more less something like this, with trees, flowers etc. planted here and there:

I actually have a very specific idea of the ceiling. I look up much more often thsn most people so it's important... ;)
Look at these polished rainbow hematites:

and now imagine ceiling made from this kind of material, carved into fancy gothic cathedral-esque, like fans or shells:

·
Registered
5,870 Posts

I have a multitude of conflicting thoughts on the matter, I'm unable to pick one room in particular, certain rooms I imagine, express awe, but through different emotions. One inspires wonder, the other inspires security, the other inspires peacefulness, etc.

Hopefully, this won't be significantly problematic. I will choose out of all those that I've imagined.

I.
White walls, pillars, ground; made from the same material ancient Greece temples were made of.
A multitude of statues from the Greek pantheon and other mythological figures.
A large window that shows a city/horizon.

A combination of this;

and this;

and this;

If I were to put it shortly, something that resonates with "Mount Olympus".

_

II.
I'm not able to accurately describe what I feel.

For me, it resonates with beauty, awe-inspiring art and peacefulness.

Reactions: Dao and Clyme

·
Registered
604 Posts
It's a-okay. :)
You should definitely write your own version, it'd be interesting to see what your perspective of a beautiful place is.

1. I'd picture it to be in the sky, the sky having different assortment of the rainbow, each colour slowly dipping into the one next to it, clouds dispersing from left to right. If you looked into the clouds long enough you would be able to see at any point in time, from the moment that the universe took its first breath to the end of the galaxies as we know it. It'd be a place where everyone was welcome, regardless of what they'd done before. Kind of like Taylor Swift's lyrics from Innocent. "Who you are is not what you did. You're still an innocent." (I haven't quite managed to figure out what I would do with the rapists/murderers/ serious offenders of any kind. Having them in the private haven conflicts with my morals but not only would I love for everyone to gain a second chance, if possible but technically the place that I've created should be judgement free of what they'd once done. Ai Carumba.)

It'd be a place with evergrowing space to fit everyone, no one is left behind, physically nor emotionally. I can't quite picture the materialistic means, all I know is that it's my type of heaven. What I'm imagining is a place with interconnected people with different backgrounds but with all the same types of beating hearts.

I am the cheesiest cheese to ever cheese.

2. It's mostly because I am obsessed with the state of harmony even though I know it may not be entirely possible. It's a beautiful concept although I wonder if it can ever be fully put in play? Group harmony plays a big factor for me and I have a hard time neglecting someone when they are being mistreated or excluded. (It just grates me wrong, okay? :& ) I want everyone to feel like they belong, no matter how much of a misfit they are/were because no one deserves to feel isolated and alone.

I hope this helps!!

·
Banned
4,124 Posts
I'd love to post....but I keep thinking I'll do it wrong...I know we weren't supposed to read any others, but I glanced those that weren't in spoiler tags...

Maybe later if I can put together something coherent.

·
MOTM Feb 2016
10,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You should definitely write your own version, it'd be interesting to see what your perspective of a beautiful place is.

Perhaps I shall, but I'd like to get more input first.

I'd love to post....but I keep thinking I'll do it wrong...I know we weren't supposed to read any others, but I glanced those that weren't in spoiler tags...

Maybe later if I can put together something coherent.
That's perfectly alright, there's no pressure. Although, there's no way that you could go wrong. I know you're a deeply introspective person, so focus less on what seems correct and more on turning yourself inside out into a physical space. Again though, there's no pressure at all.

Thank you everyone for your input so far!

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
(I spend a lot of time thinking about how I want my dream home to look so this is a really great thread. I love it.)

1. Not necessarily a room that's large in size, but one that has a very open floor plan that creates an illusion of it being bigger? Tile floors(either white, or black and white checkerboard, with the tiles large in size). At least one decent sized window for good natural lighting, and several lamps or other lighting fixtures scattered throughout, but the ability to get very dark when I want/need it to.
Mostly black and white, with splashes of accent colour(s) - it's versatile and the style can change with my mood.
Good air circulation. A cool, fresh, airy feeling, and lots of plants. Not silent, but without any specific noise or music either. The sound of rain falling or vague watery noises(like when you're in a bath and move around a bit but not too much) are really nice. Blueish greenish sounds.
Decor I prefer a mix of simple and over the top - rococo style extravagance paired with museum-like sterility. An ornately carved upholstered sofa, but in a simple colour without pattern. Simple floors that don't seem like anything special on their own, but played up with an extravagant fur shag rug. A nice blend between over the top glamour and simple, classic lines. Clean and open, but comfortable and inviting. Again, mostly black and white but with accents of other things.

2. As for the why, I would feel uncomfortable if the room felt too small, but I don't need a lot of space. So having a room with an open layout can give me the air and space I need, without making the room too big and empty. I get distracted a lot so a simple room without too many colours/sounds/stimuli lets me focus without having 50 things fighting for my attention. I live in a constant state of reinventing myself and go through interests like babies and old people go through diapers, so having something basic and simple that can change with me as I see fit is amazing and ideal.
I spend most of my time in my head and not a lot of time in the real world with everyone else, so my surroundings don't have to be terribly interesting or have a lot going on. In fact I prefer them not to be. I just need a space that I can be comfortable in. I'm very sensitive to lights, sounds, smells, etc. so the good, cool air circulation and white noise but not silence(or electric humming) is a big one. It needs to cancel out the sounds from the real world so I can fully relax and retreat into my own world. I like plants and water so having these would add to comfort. After I spend time around people I need dark and quiet to lay in by myself to recharge so a room with too much happening wouldn't work.
So I guess even though I'm a very visual person and need my surroundings to be visually appealing to me, having comfort and the right atmosphere is equally, if not more, important because it enables me to shut out the real world and focus on my own internal world? And being able to do that is the most beautiful happy thing for me. I need a nice relaxing place that lets me leave the outside world and exist in my own, but is still beautiful and comfortable enough for when I need to leave my head and exist in real life...

·
Registered
365 Posts
A gargantuan underwater man made cave with mirrors carefully placed in all the right places, lighting it up from all angles. I'd never have to come up for air. Somehow, I'd just naturally breathe underwater. Sunlight would be caught from far above and the water would be pristine. The rock walls would be beautiful with natural crystal sparkles and veins forking out stretching to the far reaches of the cave. The colors would constantly be changing and moving with the water. The temperature wouldn't be too hot or too cold. I'd love that immense space without calling attention from prying eyes.

I'd hate a fake underwater room. One that tried to mimic the idea. But a room that was actually underwater many hundreds of feet below sea level would be so beautiful. The space is amazing because it has the physical sensation of being immersed in water with all of the joy of the warm sun with the safety of being tucked away from everyone and natural beauty of the lines you see in natural stone. And I love the sensation of diving down deep. Going through the water. Sometimes I dive in deep and just keep going and my lungs start screaming and I just keep swimming down further until it feels like my chest is being crushed and I have to come back up. Sometimes I don't make it all the way back up before breathing a lungful of water and that really sucks. I'd love to just be able to dive deep and not be stopped by my need for air and weight on my chest. A room like that would be the most beautiful thing imaginable to me.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
@Clyme,

A fairy-tale library with beautiful wooden shelves.

The walls are tree trunks- green, peeking around, and the top of the tree is the ceiling. Blooming, purple flower blossoms manifest in large sizes, peeking out of every niche of the tree wall. A window cill is placed on the side- where you can peek at the beautiful blue sky, although darkened slightly by the forest outside.

Inside is a library containing every wonderful book ever written. Shelves upon shelves- each with the scent of crisp, autumn wood, contain thousands of books. In the center is a fireplace, with tree-trunk chairs surrounding it. In the center of the chairs is a table, a clear, glass table that resembles water. On it is a book- the Book of Life. You cannot open the book unless you have permission.

Hidden behind the fireplace is a magical mirror- a portal of a sort. Rumors have it that if you enter it, you travel to another dimension.

---

I basically described my "happy place" when I was a little girl.

·
MOTM July 2015
6,265 Posts
For some reason I feel like writing this down.
I noticed this little diffrence in the approach to making up the 'dream room' when I was reading Zanah0dia's post: she's designing a room without distractions so she can immerse in thoughts. I basically pulled the inside of my head (metaphorically of course :p) to the outside to make the room out of it. I found it sort of intriguing especially considering we're both INTPs, apparently. Idk, OP is smart so he probably figured it out but I started to think about it and couldn't stop.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
For some reason I feel like writing this down.
I noticed this little diffrence in the approach to making up the 'dream room' when I was reading Zanah0dia's post: she's designing a room without distractions so she can immerse in thoughts. I basically pulled the inside of my head (metaphorically of course :p) to the outside to make the room out of it. I found it sort of intriguing especially considering we're both INTPs, apparently. Idk, OP is smart so he probably figured it out but I started to think about it and couldn't stop.
My idea was that because I tend to get into things 1000% for a short while and then as soon as I'm satisfied with how much I've learned/done/whatever I kind of throw it away and don't look back on it unless I need to pull up that information again, if I metaphorically pulled out the inside of my head to make my room I'd have to either be changing it pretty regularly as my interests cycle, or I'd have to just live with it and be bored until I came up with a new plan. Either one of those would annoy me and act as a distraction.
Of course there's always the option of having some sort of a... thingy that would allow me to change the whole room with the metaphorical snap of a metaphorical but also possibly actual finger, but I couldn't figure out enough details of how to make that work to be pleased with it... what if I only wanted to change part of the room? Or what if I had changed it to fit my current taste but in the end decided I wanted something back from a previous version? Is there a way to store back-ups of each room so I can go back and take pieces to put in the newest version?
Sooooo I decided an all purpose but aesthetically pleasing shell of a room that remains pretty much as a constant but that I can make small changes too to fit whatever my current mood or obsession is, would be the best way to go!

(Holy run-on sentences, Batman!)

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
I. This is hard for me to do because it just seems so arbitrary. Most places look nice. I can say that in general I tend to like modern/minimalist style rooms perhaps more than other styles, but I don't want to go more specific than that because probably most rooms of this style would look nice to me, provided the colors and furniture styles go together. I can picture one in my head, but trying to describe it seems pointless because the details are arbitrary when I'm just making them up in my head. Do I imagine the furniture as white? Black? Some other color? It makes no difference to me and I would have to actually see specific options in a real life situation, otherwise no decision can be made. So I find myself unable to give the response you are looking for.

II. Modern/minimalist style rooms tend to look nice because of the free and spacious feeling, as well as everything looking neat and orderly. Beauty is easier to see when not covered in clutter.

·
MOTM July 2015
6,265 Posts
My idea was that because I tend to get into things 1000% for a short while and then as soon as I'm satisfied with how much I've learned/done/whatever I kind of throw it away and don't look back on it unless I need to pull up that information again, if I metaphorically pulled out the inside of my head to make my room I'd have to either be changing it pretty regularly as my interests cycle, or I'd have to just live with it and be bored until I came up with a new plan. Either one of those would annoy me and act as a distraction.
Of course there's always the option of having some sort of a... thingy that would allow me to change the whole room with the metaphorical snap of a metaphorical but also possibly actual finger, but I couldn't figure out enough details of how to make that work to be pleased with it... what if I only wanted to change part of the room? Or what if I had changed it to fit my current taste but in the end decided I wanted something back from a previous version? Is there a way to store back-ups of each room so I can go back and take pieces to put in the newest version?
Sooooo I decided an all purpose but aesthetically pleasing shell of a room that remains pretty much as a constant but that I can make small changes too to fit whatever my current mood or obsession is, would be the best way to go!

(Holy run-on sentences, Batman!)
Iiiii... Probably, I just made some gross generalizations here and there. I threw all my interests into a blender and built a room out of what came out. I guess since our rooms are allowed to royally f-- I mean, screw the laws of physics, I would just take parts my current obsession out of the general mess and temporarily restore it to its original form so I can ponder it. Splendid! I didn't realize what I did when I was writing my first post. I guess that's the thingy. Although your idea seems much more practical :p

Damn I love staying up until 5 am

Wow hey how about we try to type people based on their imaginary rooms?
Nvm I should be asleep rn

·
Registered
306 Posts
A small wooden room with a comfy, warm fireplace and antique books, including my 150-year-old Bible, a few publications from Encyclopedia Britannica's "Great Books" (Darwin, Spinoza, Bacon, etc..), Gray's Anatomy, and an official hardcover version of "The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy," among many others, all lining a medium-sized bookshelf. The room would have a little office-space for me. A laptop (which I would have build with my own two hands) serves an anachronistic reminder of the outside world. A coffee pot gently puckering on one side of the room. In the corner, yet another starkly contrasting feature, is a workstation with a 4.5-foot-tall robot, designed along the parameters of simple geometric shapes, limbs connecting to the torso in a way that, to the outside viewer, would look as though they needed more fitting when, in reality, they do, indeed, fit perfectly in place on their sockets. For right now it lugs itself across the room and does various chores--I still don't know what to do with the somewhat-indistinctly humanoid structure yet--while I work at my computer, or tinkering with the mechanics and chemistry at my workshop. A window faucets in light to fill the middle of the room, and the buttery light trickles into the side-corners, giving the robot himself an aged and dull look when at the right time of day.

It's just...home. I feel like a simple, quiet place with old-timey qualities tends to make me feel contentment and, although I can't express it all in words, the idea of just tinkering and figuring out the Universe with a little workshop in the corner is captivating to me. The robot is just another idea. It has significance. So much so, in fact, that I can not even begin to tell you what it is that makes it so captivating.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Dim-able lights, dark hardwood floors with a large thick area rug, large fireplace (lit, the room should be cold without it), two comfortable chairs facing somewhat towards each other but slightly towards the fireplace, each with a side table holding a lamp so that even when the room is dimly lit it can illuminate the immediate area to allow for reading. Deep red, maroon, and brown coloring the rug and walls, a bit of gold and white trims to set it off. A stereo system off to the side set amongst built in bookshelves (complete with books) so that it is either visually pleasing as part of the decor or at least doesn't catch the eye much to distract in a garish sort of way. A decanter containing whiskey and an ice bucket on a nearby small raised table set flush against the wall. A wooden desk set against another wall to provide a surface for writing and largely concealing a computer so that it's convenient but not a distracting invitation. A dog bed nearby so that they may sleep near both me and the warmth of the fire.

Reactions: Clyme
1 - 20 of 61 Posts