Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so in your own words describe any function or functions.....

Ne- To imagine what it is like to have Ne think of when your teacher in high school/college would ask you to brainstorm; you know when she would ask you to think of as many ideas as possible in a limited amount of time. Then you would have several ideas come to mind at one time. Well this is pretty much a default setting for dominate Ne users. We constantly have ideas come to our mind in a flash (whether we want those ideas or not). This can be very beneficial when having to improvise or when having to come up with an idea at a second's notice. This can also be very beneficial for problem solving. However, as much as Ne is a gift, it is a curse as well. You see because we have so many ideas flash into our head so quickly, we often get distracted by those ideas and are often neglect responsibilities and don't follow plans. We do this completely unintentionally, but it still happens of course.

Fi- Basically with Fi, you can feel what others are feeling without actually being that person. For instance, a non-dominate Fi user may see an cataclysmic event in a movie and just think "Oh well, it's just a movie". However, there may be a good chance that the Fi user would be upset by that event because that person can almost subconsciously share that person's emotions. Now this can be good when caring for others, or it can even be beneficial in a career in marketing for instance. In addition, this individual can easily express their emotions and usually feels a regular need to express their emotions. However, if a good Ti/Te balance is not developed this can be quite bad as well. For instance, because that person can subconsciously feel what the other person is feeling, they can easily be used or manipulated into an action because they feel sorry for someone. Also, that person can also be overly emotional as well.

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
I prefer to explain Ne with Ti...So, this is a personal account of Ne>Ti:

I can't do spare facts. I need to be able to apply them to something. That's why I tend to ask a lot of questions and I have since I could talk. Since I was a small child, I wouldn't just realize that, for instance, cats meowed; I wanted to know why they meowed. In that way, I think Ne can relate to intense curiosity in me. If something is new or doesn't make sense, I need it to make sense. If I could learn why cats meowed, I would keep the knowledge of the process in mind. I might encounter some information about cats at a later time and try to fit it in with what I already know. It's a process of trying to fit those pieces together in different ways and trying to figure out how they may work together. That's how this one description of Ne 'weaving strands of thought together' comes in and also how the concept of looking at things in novel/creative ways comes into play. Once I fit those together in a way that makes sense, I would have this new abstract idea of that process in my head. When I connect pieces of information together, I get this surge of energy as I just figured something new out. Yet, this idea or new understanding that I have sets off this sensation in my head of needing to find more and needing to add to that or I might still have several ways of putting those pieces of information together stuck in my head. In the best of times, I could spend hours obsessively exploring a subject because of this. Yet, I would probably have about a hundred different theories/ideas going around in my head...It can get overwhelming :dry:

See Nate? I ain't no introvert. I'm a stinkin' Ne-dom :crazy:

By the way, Nate: Could you tell me how much of that you could relate to and in what ways? I'm trying to get a better idea of how Ne works as a dominant function without Ji(Ti or Fi) or atleast how Ne-dom works with Fi-aux so that I can compare.

Fi- Basically with Fi, you can feel what others are feeling without actually being that person. For instance, a non-dominate Fi user may see an cataclysmic event in a movie and just think "Oh well, it's just a movie". However, there may be a good chance that the Fi user would be upset by that event because that person can almost subconsciously share that person's emotions. Now this can be good when caring for others, or it can even be beneficial in a career in marketing for instance. In addition, this individual can easily express their emotions and usually feels a regular need to express their emotions. However, if a good Ti/Te balance is not developed this can be quite bad as well. For instance, because that person can subconsciously feel what the other person is feeling, they can easily be used or manipulated into an action because they feel sorry for someone. Also, that person can also be overly emotional as well.
To me, it seems as if Fi is about in depth knowledge of, not just 'emotions' or 'feelings', but the human factors in certain situations...ethics. And as you were getting at, Fi-users want to understand peoples' points of view and feelings and that's how they empathize. And Fi-users also seem to have a joint focus on understanding themselves and expressing themselves as perfectly as possible. And I remember in your 'ENTP vs. ENFP' thread that you and Pink were talking about how you liked to find people you could relate to and that that helped you understand yourselves. And I notice that INFPs tend to be focused on finding people they can relate to(even more-so than I see in ENFPs most of the time). Do you think that the idea of being able to understand yourself better by speaking with people you can relate to might involve Ne as well as Fi?

I'm sorry, I'm probably gonna end up screwing up this thread in my quest to understand this stuff better :laughing:

·
Banned
349 Posts
[Ti]

The most accurate way I could describe mi Ti dom in simple words is something like this:

Fractalized cosmovision.

If I explain this with some more words:

Find the simplest and uniform algorithm that could generate the whole reality that is known at every time.

And now I'll develop a bit more this idea.

At instant T sub 0, you have in yor mind a concrete amount of information what constitutes "reality". Ti at work would analyze every property of "reality" and would try to find a "universal and simplest rule" that could explain this reality. This rule must be uniform in the same meaning that a continuum and derivable function has in Maths: the algorithm must be capable of justifying from the smallest portion of reality to the whole system with the same rule. No contradictions are allowed (a rule for a concrete portion of reality and another rule for a different portion, etc).

At instant T sub 1, an extra amount of information is provided, so reality expands. The algorithm is tested, if it still works, then OK. If not, it must be revised, changed, for being able to work with the increased reality. Like a bayesian inference.

The algorithm is created from what is perceived as a certainty (this idea is malleable, not inmutable) and used for evaluating ideas whose grade of certainty is unknown.

[Ne]

Multiverse.

The art or making new universes, universes of possibilities.

Expanding reality by multiple generation of possibilities based in it.

"Based in it" is the key, as opposed to Ni (which reinterprets the same reality).

Ne works by usage of the pieces which constitutes the present reality and recombines them for creating a set of multiple different alternatives.
The more smaller the pieces are, the more alternatives you can create. Every of these creations is one universe in the multiverse of possibilities.

The term "brainstorm" is a good description of Ne, but maybe better for Ne dominants than non dominants like me (Ne is my aux function). A "brainstorm" implies pure chaos, and this is Ne working at top speed. For non dominants this function is "slowed down" by the dom function but still has the same essence. Despite of this, I have had somethimes these "brainstorms" but not too often.

Despite of based in reality, this does not imply an Ne user is unable of changing the point of view as Ni users do, but it is more difficult. While Ne is generating possibilities, the blocks has a fixed meaning. You have to stop first, change the meaning and then make another set of possibilites. Ni can dynamically change the meaning, Ne only can do it statically (this is an approximation, but still enough accurate in my opinion).

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
Bumpity bump...:laughing:

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I prefer to explain Ne with Ti...So, this is a personal account of Ne>Ti:

I can't do spare facts. I need to be able to apply them to something. That's why I tend to ask a lot of questions and I have since I could talk. Since I was a small child, I wouldn't just realize that, for instance, cats meowed; I wanted to know why they meowed. In that way, I think Ne can relate to intense curiosity in me. If something is new or doesn't make sense, I need it to make sense. If I could learn why cats meowed, I would keep the knowledge of the process in mind. I might encounter some information about cats at a later time and try to fit it in with what I already know. It's a process of trying to fit those pieces together in different ways and trying to figure out how they may work together. That's how this one description of Ne 'weaving strands of thought together' comes in and also how the concept of looking at things in novel/creative ways comes into play. Once I fit those together in a way that makes sense, I would have this new abstract idea of that process in my head. When I connect pieces of information together, I get this surge of energy as I just figured something new out. Yet, this idea or new understanding that I have sets off this sensation in my head of needing to find more and needing to add to that or I might still have several ways of putting those pieces of information together stuck in my head. In the best of times, I could spend hours obsessively exploring a subject because of this. Yet, I would probably have about a hundred different theories/ideas going around in my head...It can get overwhelming :dry:

See Nate? I ain't no introvert. I'm a stinkin' Ne-dom :crazy:

By the way, Nate: Could you tell me how much of that you could relate to and in what ways? I'm trying to get a better idea of how Ne works as a dominant function without Ji(Ti or Fi) or atleast how Ne-dom works with Fi-aux so that I can compare.

To me, it seems as if Fi is about in depth knowledge of, not just 'emotions' or 'feelings', but the human factors in certain situations...ethics. And as you were getting at, Fi-users want to understand peoples' points of view and feelings and that's how they empathize. And Fi-users also seem to have a joint focus on understanding themselves and expressing themselves as perfectly as possible. And I remember in your 'ENTP vs. ENFP' thread that you and Pink were talking about how you liked to find people you could relate to and that that helped you understand yourselves. And I notice that INFPs tend to be focused on finding people they can relate to(even more-so than I see in ENFPs most of the time). Do you think that the idea of being able to understand yourself better by speaking with people you can relate to might involve Ne as well as Fi?

I'm sorry, I'm probably gonna end up screwing up this thread in my quest to understand this stuff better :laughing:
I can pretty much relate to that completely. Thanks for bumpin my thread by the way.:wink:

·
Registered
174 Posts
TI is the code and NE is the program.

Explanation:

I always thought that TI was my thoughts, the endless stream of words. But lately Im not so sure any more. It seems like TI operate like a code, running in the background, matching previous knowledge with new input and NE interpret those result, which then happens to be conscious thoughts. My friend told me I present my arguments mathematically, never thought about that either. Like If X is true than Y is false. This is when speaking of course. Funny thing is, never thought about my way of present argument, never really had one thought about it. So I guess thats TI, so obvious I cant even analyze it directly.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Every function? our functions? i don't know, I'd explain my 4 functions if so...
Fi is the function that makes you look for your inner feelings and seek things that make you feel good. It is true a tool for sensing how others are feeling and make them feel good with themselves. Fi people like me need a lot to express our emotions but we're very sensitive.
Ne is a function that I can't explain with words because I think it's not about words. Ne is about the strange, the new, the extravagant, the ideas, and many times, the fun. Ne is what makes you have a love for the strange things and be unable to put up with things like school and chores. It makes you basically a weirdo, but I couldn't live without it! xDD
Si is the function that seeks order and stability. It is my third function so usually I don't use it. Si wants things to be clear, easy, and very, very ordenated. Si sticks to the things he knows and doesn't go outside of the box.
Te is the function that says "do it!" instead of thinking about it. Looks for logical and has no gut for compassion or feelings; Te can make you a bit bossy i think. xD. What I mean by that "no gut" thing is that usually it doesn't care about feelings; if it's logical and worth it it's good, if not, throw it.

Very good post, and, I couldn't have described it better...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts