Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I was wondering if any of you ever had an encounter with your shadow, which can be manifested in all kinds of ways. I know, it's slightly off the beaten path of mbti, but it still incorporates Jungian theory. Now, let's start..

"How do you recognize it's your shadow?" You may ask.

Well.. You just know. Especially as an INFP.

Mine was scary. Creepy. Unsettling. It was the living embodiment of Rumpelstiltskin.

I know, I know, funny right? Who would be scared of a little fairytale gnome? Uh, I don't know, maybe a 6 yo kid seeing a man-size puppet move his body and eyes to the sound of his laughter hollowing through to his soul?

Hereby I introduce you to Efteling! My absolute favorite amusement park, using the theme of fairytales, the park offers many attractions from roller coasters - all the way to little cabbins spread around in the forest offering a glimpse into some of our favorite brothers Grimm tales. If you guys would ever have the opportunity to visit the Netherlands, I highly recommend visiting this park, it was such an inspiration to me as a child, and will always stay in my heart.

... Where were we? Oh yeah. If you want an accurate visualization of the little bastard just google "repelsteeltje" and he will show right up. Seems innocent, right? He was petrifying. So much so that next time around when we went to the park I deliberately skipped his cabin, no way in hell am I going to make eye contact with him again, I thought.

Anyway, I left the theme park, but Rumpelstiltskin didn't leave me.

I had several nightmares where he would tiptoe outside of my room, would peek from between my window blinds, and then would tiptoe to the door, opening it ever so slightly to peek into my room. I would do as if I'm sleeping, and he would enter, hopping his way until he's next to my bed grinning and laughing. At that point I would struggle to get rid of him, whether it's through threatening or through putting a knife to his throat, the dream would abruptly end then. Sorry in advance if I will cause you nightmares tonight, this sends chills down my spine.

Fast forward a few years to college, where I would have my first experience with a psychedelic substance which opened my imagination somewhat, for the price of a heightened neuroticism trait. Around a week later I would try to meditate to the sound of 432 hrz waves flowing to and fro, all for the sake of trying to find some balance again, a foot on the ground. MmmDidn't happen, sucked me right into a vortex, seeing glimpses of eyes moving their gaze towards me every few seconds. Each one of them startling me.

At one Point the stopped, and a mask would slowly float towards me from the pitch black darkness. You all guessed it, Rumpelstiltskin. his mask had holes in the place where his rolling eyes were, and floated towards me all the way until it was 2 inches from my face, and then the eyes would suddenly appear. With a sudden startle, it took me a moment to recollect myself, and then, with an acknowledging smile, I imaginatively said to him; "You know what? I don't fear you anymore, I accept you as you are." His face would then soften up, and dissipate into spirals of smoke.

And then something magical happened, my vision got filled with colorful intricate designs I would never be able to describe. A flood of creativity went over me. It was a blissful moment.

Then, switching back to real life, I lost my Fi-Ne for the next few months, acting like an unhealthy ENFJ, as if learning everything about life for a second time. (Not to mention it was a stressful time in the professional aspect of life) It would take me a vacation to recover them back, but one thing I noticed is that I was much more able to do things I would struggle doing before this experience. It made me more evened out, in a sense.

Now, for some further interpretations:

Myself being an INFP, I want to act as righteous as possible. I want to have moral standards, and no way in hell will I crave to have more than others, or try to use other people.. or so I thought. Confronting my shadow, and subsequently accepting him (integrating him into my personality) made me recognize my own faults and hurdles I may face in the future. Rumpelstiltskin is known for his unscrupulous greed, using a person in a lower position for his own benefit. Again, that's not how I would ever describe myself in a million years before diving into this experience, but it's still a part of me, and it makes me more aware of my own actions.

I assume that some of you had a sudden outburst at least at one point of you life, this happens mostly when the person didn't integrate their shadow yet. All the subconscious feelings are being stored from stress trying to squeeze out, until one point when it's too much, and the dam gets broken, all hell breaks loose. It's your lowest point, but it also feels good, because you feel this enormous weight lift off your shoulders. But! When you integrate your shadow, you are able to control the flow of emotions through the use of your shadow functions, thereby allowing you to react in stressful situations with more control. It minimizes your weak spots. Awareness is key to stability and enlightenment.

Not to mention, it's all a choice. You can choose whether you want to take the risk of going through a light psychosis, or want to stay sane in a cloud of blissful ignorance. Not everybody should, thats certain. I mean, look at Heath Ledger, he got so into his role, which I'm sure he recognizes as the embodiment of his shadow, that it never left him. He couldn't bear the burden of having a devil following him everywhere he goes.

.. Sheesh! To close it off, for me it was inevitable, and it feels as if it was meant to happen. I would love to hear about any similar experience coming from anybody else,
Peace!

·
Banned
2,129 Posts
Yea, well in my wet dreams I used to hunt down women, pin them down and sort of rape them. Sort of. They were MY women. MY figments of imagination. Later I realized that I have some... I'm not sure if this is the right way to put it... BDSM tendencies? I've just learned it's actually a role play. So not really, but the "real BDSM" thing I have. I'm not particularly into hurting women but I guess I have a beast inside that feels entitled to have its way with women. Either way, not much is going on right now in that department. Lately I've felt that dating, to actually play this role playing game which feels so fake and such a hassle to me, is not worth it, I'd be going against my feelings, values. So I'm not giving reasons for the monster to rear its head. There are plenty men in the world have each a woman assigned to them to protect.

·
Banned
ENFJ — sx/so — 2w3 7w6 9w8: The Peacekeeper
4,399 Posts
I dreamt I was a manlet once, scared the bejesus out of me.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
My shadow is fittingly named Mr. Black. He is everything I want to be and not want to be at the same time, a total nightmare of a power trip. He has no regard for your rules and conventions and follows his own. He is ruthlessly efficient. If you show any weakness in front of him, he will remember it forever, and use it against you if it benefits him, or if he feels vindictive. He is calm, cool and collected inside and out. Never speaking above a formal whisper, yet seething with utter hatred and contempt for everything you've built and worked for. If you have wronged him, he will teach you a lesson you will remember for the rest of your life, even if only for a brief moment. I hope no one has to meet him.

Reactions: alive1 and L P

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
MY shadow is Mr. IDGAFFA. First F, Flying. Last A, Anymore.

He listens to metal and metal trap music. Rages in his car alone. Secretly wants to get into a fight. Is authentically nice and mean. Does not ask for permission, does not care about your feelings. People think he is cool, until he hurts their feelings. Has feelings and does not hide them, most feelings are idgaffa and idgaffa, and his favorite thing to say and color is idgaffa. He is very relaxed in his body and resembles some bastardized version of an ESTP teenager. He also goes up to complete strangers and hops in their conversations, because well, hdgaffa.

If someone asks him for a flying fuck he's usually fresh out.

·
Premium Member
INTP (I thimk) 5w
15,375 Posts
Hey all, I was wondering if any of you ever had an encounter with your shadow, which can be manifested in all kinds of ways. I know, it's slightly off the beaten path of mbti, but it still incorporates Jungian theory. Now, let's start..
What shadow? Show me the light and I'll show you a shadow?

INTP = Ti Ne Si Fe.

Te - Hate it, but it will do it if necessary. I'll let you figure it out.
Ni - Lemme think on that. Okay. I gave it some thought. I don't like Ni in myself. I prefer Ti. Ni is you is great.
Se - I ignore as much as possible but I do have to find my way around. I have trouble doing that.
Fi - I keep that to myself, but I have it. I could say, NOYB, but that would be rude.

Note: I know an entity was asked for. I don't have one.

Reactions: L P

·
Premium Member
15,405 Posts
If I write the words, angrily, to one person saying "She isn't even very pretty.." I know that The Beast is present, loud and roaring, and spitting forth from her snake-infested head. When I start to focus on "Appearances", especially others... you best believe I am close to cracking and under massive loads of stress.

1,417 Posts
My shadow? My shadow and I are best friends, in a sense...My shadow is a part of me, and I do not shy away from that side, but rather face it dead on...

I think I live in my shadow functions about half the time any way, so I'm quite familiar with it...My shadow tells me the world is my enemy, and to trust no one...To have my sword out, and my shield up, because monsters lurk right outside the door, who look like me but are not even remotely human...Ready to tear me apart at the slightest sign of weakness, so never show any weaknesses...

Sad thing is when the idealistic side of me says to give people a chance, more often then not, my shadow is proven right...

So I don't fear this side of me, because my shadow is the only one whose had my back this entire time...My shadow keeps me grounded, tells me to expect nothing from anyone, tells me that people will let me down repeatedly, and to keep my walls up at all times...Because if I let someone in, in the end they will only hurt me...

The shadow isn't always rational, and often I don't listen to it...But usually it's right, and that's the saddest commentary of all...

·
Registered
160 Posts

(...)

.. Sheesh! To close it off, for me it was inevitable, and it feels as if it was meant to happen. I would love to hear about any similar experience coming from anybody else,
Peace!
Can I ask what seemed like ENFJ in your shadow mode? What things/skills of you improved after this experience? You got evened out emotionally, or?

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Turns out I'm actually ENFP, much more Ne than Fi, and overall identify more with the characteristics of ENFP than INFP. I thouht I was an introvert at first, which turns out I'm not and that it's a common misconception about ENFPs, since our dominant function seeks interaction with the world through intuition, which is not a tool a lot of people use. The current results I get show a preference and strength for Ne>Ni=Fi>Te and Si is last. It also shows that my strongest shadow function (Ni) is now one I'm using rather frequently.

Since this experience I became a lot more capable in exploring the depth of abstract concepts (Ni) and my social interactions go much smoother (Fe), those are INFJ functions, which shows in my shadow, or the representation of my shadow as Rumpelstiltskin, as a person who has deep insight into the workings of the soul (Ni) who uses social manipulation (Fe) has an exceptional ability he doesn't show anybody (turning straw into old), which I also tended to do (playing guitar, drawing, painting), and honestly, just from reading the story you could see he's INFJ.

The image of the shadow, from how I see it, is subconsciously constructed and represented in things you fear. While your shadow functions are actually things you display to the world but are unaware of. Becoming conscious of your shadow gives you the chance to start using your shadow functions to your advantage.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Turns out I'm actually ENFP, much more Ne than Fi, and overall identify more with the characteristics of ENFP than INFP. I thouht I was an introvert at first, which turns out I'm not and that it's a common misconception about ENFPs, since our dominant function seeks interaction with the world through intuition, which is not a tool a lot of people use. The current results I get show a preference and strength for Ne>Ni=Fi>Te and Si is last. It also shows that my strongest shadow function (Ni) is now one I'm using rather frequently.

Since this experience I became a lot more capable in exploring the depth of abstract concepts (Ni) and my social interactions go much smoother (Fe), those are INFJ functions, which shows in my shadow, or the representation of my shadow as Rumpelstiltskin, as a person who has deep insight into the workings of the soul (Ni) who uses social manipulation (Fe) has an exceptional ability he doesn't show anybody (turning straw into old), which I also tended to do (playing guitar, drawing, painting), and honestly, just from reading the story you could see he's INFJ.

The image of the shadow, from how I see it, is subconsciously constructed and represented in things you fear. While your shadow functions are actually things you display to the world but are unaware of. Becoming conscious of your shadow gives you the chance to start using your shadow functions to your advantage.
Interesting, thanks for the info. What kind of abstract concepts have you successfully explored since this experience, got some example, I'm curious. :)

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm glad you're interested ;) Started watching Jordan Peterson, reading his book, moved on to Jung, MBTI, started being more open to astrology too.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'm glad you're interested ;) Started watching Jordan Peterson, reading his book, moved on to Jung, MBTI, started being more open to astrology too.
Lol np. :) Thanks for the answer again. So you do more soul searching now with the help of abstract concepts?

·
Premium Member
INTP (I thimk) 5w
15,375 Posts
time to stop this thread :crazy:

Yer gonna have to teach me how to tell time. I seek a postponement.

My shadows are Te Ni Se and Fi. I think it a good idea to look at them cuz they give me trouble. It's a matter of learning. Why not develop them and make life easier? Hows about you?

Reactions: Fru2

·
Registered
228 Posts
Yer gonna have to teach me how to tell time. I seek a postponement.

My shadows are Te Ni Se and Fi. I think it a good idea to look at them cuz they give me trouble. It's a matter of learning. Why not develop them and make life easier? Hows about you?
after seing some intp replying my post..

jk man, my shadow is a naughty boy, who will beat the shit out of an innocent beggar because he pisses him off. got a one night stand with an old ugly lady once, doesn't smoke and drink but a cannabis enthusiast, listening to hardbass 24/7 :crazy:

i don't get your first sentence man, what does it actually mean? my english isn't so good :angry:

·
Premium Member
INTP (I thimk) 5w
15,375 Posts
after seing some intp replying my post..

Your attachment did not come through. I got this message: "Invalid Attachment specified ..."

i don't get your first sentence man, what does it actually mean? my english isn't so good :angry:
What does my 1st sentence mean? You had said, "time to stop this thread." I replied, "Yer gonna have to teach me how to tell time." It's a joke about time. You said something about time. I replied I didn't know what you meant by that ... time implying I wasn't going to buy your stopping the thread.

Yes I'm an INTP. Congratulations on being an INFP.

·
Administrator
14,958 Posts
@Fru2

Sounds kind of like a phobia.

Anyway, I had a phobia of aliens for a long time. I don't even want to talk about it very much.

Psychotropic drugs can do a number on you, but if you had issues with 'rumplestiltskin' before, then I think it might be more in line with a general phobia.

It is a disturbing folk tale. He's basically trying to trick anyone into signing over their values to him. It's a very disturbing character.

My fear of aliens has nothing to do with psychotropic drugs--it's since childhood. And I don't know if that represents a shadow, except that aliens seem to represent the unknown and those which my be able to control you.

If it was a phobia that was induced by psychotropic drugs, you could end up finding relief after you do not use those drugs for a long while, and instead focus on self-care.

If it was a phobia you already had, then I think there are ways for you to work through it.

Anyway--good luck.

Edit: I think with Jungian ideas, the shadow isn't just a phobia--it's a large complex that includes things you reject about yourself, benignly (such as the opposite gender traits) as well as things you generally do not want to become. But idk that much about psychology or Jung, so it'd be better to research yourself.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Lol np. :) Thanks for the answer again. So you do more soul searching now with the help of abstract concepts?
Soul searching, introspection, delving deeper into theories and connecting the pieces.

@CreakyPier I would say that the traits of our shadows are quite the same - will show up only out of self interest while watching undetected, manipulative and know what you don't.
I wouldn't say it started from the lsd, the dreams and fears were there before, it's just that it lifted my connection to the subconscious by a few bars. And I think you're spot on about what you said in your edit.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Your attachment did not come through. I got this message: "Invalid Attachment specified ..."
you're not lucky enough my man :crazy:

*it's just a very cute cat by the way :kitteh:

What does my 1st sentence mean? You had said, "time to stop this thread." I replied, "Yer gonna have to teach me how to tell time." It's a joke about time. You said something about time. I replied I didn't know what you meant by that ... time implying I wasn't going to buy your stopping the thread.
ohh... okay, i don't get the joke cuz my english is so limited :angry:

Yes I'm an INTP. Congratulations on being an INFP.
i'm just kidding man, no need to send me some hidden meaning like that *hiding under the bed

or if you really mean to say that, uhmm... thanks!! :heart: :heart: :heart:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts