Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine comes in two forms.

The first, more spontaneous form, is unconscious suggestion. I'd see something that catches my attention and within a second or two, a possibility will float into my awareness. Alternatively, I may be analyzing information and then something catches my attention and the possibility will 'pop up'.

The second form is what I call unconscious digesting. This is where I either passively or actively read information (I don't usually use my senses, I do more reading than sensing), put the material(s) down, and then several minutes, hours or days later when I try to process the material again, insights will be gained and the information will be much easier to understand.

During the moments I receive insights or suggestions from Ne, I often feel excited and enthusiastic, sometimes energized as well. Ne often prevents me from becoming depressed. This is the reason why I seek entertainment that engages my Ne.

Please share your respective experiences.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
My two experiences with it are:
Random: An extremely good, original idea will just float to the top of my head out of literally....nowhere. I could be thinking about cheese and it woudl still appear.

My second experience with it is when I get into the really silly mode I can be in. Ti pretty much dies at this point, but I can find connections between just about any two things regardless of logic behind them. It is like super-Ne without tons of ideas coming from nowhere. It just builds on top of what has already manifested itself in my mind's eye.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I get impulsive when I am angry or obsessing over something. I send messages that I wouldn't normally send to people and I say really inappropriate things in emotional outbursts. The next day when the feelings have subsided look back in horror at what I said.
When I feel something really intensely, I have no sense of common decency and I end up really weirding people out with my words.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Mine comes in two forms.

The first, more spontaneous form, is unconscious suggestion. I'd see something that catches my attention and within a second or two, a possibility will float into my awareness. Alternatively, I may be analyzing information and then something catches my attention and the possibility will 'pop up'.

The second form is what I call unconscious digesting. This is where I either passively or actively read information (I don't usually use my senses, I do more reading than sensing), put the material(s) down, and then several minutes, hours or days later when I try to process the material again, insights will be gained and the information will be much easier to understand.

During the moments I receive insights or suggestions from Ne, I often feel excited and enthusiastic, sometimes energized as well. Ne often prevents me from becoming depressed. This is the reason why I seek entertainment that engages my Ne.

Please share your respective experiences.
Pretty much what you wrote.
Also with the last point. I feel like I switch into Ne-dom mode sometimes when engaging with other people, becoming excited, enthusiastic, but also more confident and able to say things I normally wouldn't say. Almost like I become an ENTP for awhile. Of course I always snap back

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
My Ne comes out a lot when I'm writing story plots or daydreaming.
Sometimes I worry about every little thing that could possibly happen considering a given situation, so it's like a bad Ti/Ne loop.
And I'll get excited because of things that could potentially happen, then get let down by what actually happens.

Usually what happens is my Ne goes absolutely bat shit crazy, and my Ti has to come over and make it chill out.

·
Social Pyromaniac
477 Posts
One of my favorite quotes from The Hobbit is "There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something. You certainly usually find something, if you look, but it is not always quite the something you were after."

It's a perfect description of my thought process, and I think much of why that is has to do with Ne. I like to explore a topic or problem freely. For me, the acts of troubleshooting and familiarizing myself with how something works are the same act. I don't like to go into something with a preconceived notion of what the issue is.

As a result, I usually intend to go from "A" to "B" but usually end up at "C", and if I get really off track I end up at "7". And the path I took looks like a branching diagram with tangential offshoots and dead ends. However, I've recently been able to curb this effect and reduce the number of offshoots and dead ends. Sometimes I even end up at "B".

Also, if I'm creating something, what's present or known is a spring board for what might be or could be. Contexts are swapped, mixed, and matched. What's present, along with what could be, is interwoven with similar random things I have squirreled away in the back of my head. It partially involves this chain reaction of similes. This thing is like that other thing, which is like the other other thing, which reminds me of that other thing I remember . . . etc.

The result is anytime I create or write something, it's really just a collage of pre-existing things placed in new contexts, related to each other in new and novel ways.

·
Registered
815 Posts
For me it's primarily passive. Most of my humor and goofiness is driven by it. It also allows me to be very predictive, often seeing many steps ahead.

·
Banned
5,669 Posts
Ne can be distracting because I can't really watch, read, or appreciate anything without it immediately leading me in 4 or 5 different directions toward other things I've seen, read, or appreciated. In general, my metacogitating (Ti) reigns this in and focuses it. But if I were to allow Si and Ne free reign in my life, all I would do is bounce from one book to another youtube video, and spend a lot of time rooting through boxes looking for that book with that passage in it... This is basically what I do when I'm in "fun" or "chillout" mode, e.g. on a forum.

Science really forces you to use Ti a lot, but it's fun every so often to open up a word document and just let the Ne flow.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Once, I started thinking about the size of a supermassive umbrella that was completely dark in the middle while light was being shone on top of it. After following tangential thoughts, I ended up thinking about dragons. This thought process went through radios and supernovae.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts