Personality Cafe banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will try to put things in words that have always been difficult to be articulated.. (About us INFP's..okay more about myself but I wonder if others relate to this)

* We have natural instant dislike for predictable social and surface reality, but we just try to cope with it so that we will not burden the rest of the world with our differences.

* For us, a worthy life has to be filled with meanings that are entirely unique and personal to us on our terms alone, creativity that does not have to fill the realm of common sense and a bit of humor that contains the ability to laugh at ourselves while feeling that others have to appreciate such a quality. Anything less than that, we might get dark and frustrated, no matter how you try to throw cold logic or impersonal objectivity at us in facing reality.

*We can feel guilt to an unusual extent that paints a blurry picture of us being doormats, but we actually hate being taken advantage of and behind closed doors, we plot how to make unexpectedly stronger comebacks. Partly so that after every transformative stage, people get the shock of their lives.

*We secretly tend to get suspicious when things appear too normal or orderly, because beyond logic, we have that uncanny insight to see how things can change and become unreliable beyond what is expected of majority. For that, we are often mistaken as irrational.

*We are just like everyone else that we appreciate being understood and given guidance even when we live in our own imaginative worlds. But we appreciate it if you back off from telling us that it's wrong to live there.

Man, I should really consider writing a manual guide to understanding an INFP someday.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Very elegantly put.:wink: I also have difficulties expressing myself and sharing my ideas with others. There are only a select few that I reserve this for. I’ve been misunderstood so many times, that I have difficulty mustering up the confidence to discuss my ideas with new people. The fact that I have recurring memories of these misunderstandings doesn’t help one bit. They are like a defense mechanism, a warning to me of what could go wrong. When I do put forth an idea, I usually do it in the most delicate way possible, like removing a tangled butterfly from a spider web. But often, even when I think out what I’m going to say, the spider will still get the butterfly, if you ketch my drift.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Very, very good. Everything you write is right on the dot. And I like your style.

Very elegantly put.:wink: I also have difficulties expressing myself and sharing my ideas with others. There are only a select few that I reserve this for. I’ve been misunderstood so many times, that I have difficulty mustering up the confidence to discuss my ideas with new people. The fact that I have recurring memories of these misunderstandings doesn’t help one bit. They are like a defense mechanism, a warning to me of what could go wrong. When I do put forth an idea, I usually do it in the most delicate way possible, like removing a tangled butterfly from a spider web. But often, even when I think out what I’m going to say, the spider will still get the butterfly, if you ketch my drift.
I think the problem is that not everyone is receptive to our ideas and visions. I have long ago learned to distinguish between those that can follow me and those that can not. And trying to explain my ideas to an unreceptive audience is the equivalent of the biblical parable of spoiling seed on barren rock.
For ideas to grow and prosper you need both the seed and the fertile soil.

·
Registered
403 Posts
That was so insightful izzie. I can relate to all of those. I've lately been thinking about how intolerable I find situations that feel scripted(, like things friends think they should say when you're moving away). I can't differentiate between sincerity and phoniness in those instances and people just don't see how much of a turn off that is.

I can relate, 0z8ZZ8z0. I have a lot of frustration around not being able to discuss my ideas with most people because they can be so quick to judge. It rarely feels worth it to voice them around most people, especially when I see so much how irrelevant different peoples' ideas are to each other. So many people are so set in their ways and are openly (and proudly) intolerant of one another. It gets old.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I really liked your post as well Izzie and I found it extremely relatable.
I think my biggest problem with other people's perception of my personality is that I'm treated like I'm ditzy, or a bit slow when really I'm just off in my own world and fail to notice some details. I honestly have a hard time caring about the day to day, numbers, and even competition. It's just frustrating when no one else feels that way and can put up with it so well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I particularly like the description of an INFP "revenge" tactic. Once you've gotten a sense of how someone is (mis)perceiving you, it can be incredibly gratifying to undermine that perception without overtly calling them out on it. In many ways I decide how to present myself to the outer-world in reaction to these misperceptions.

·
Registered
569 Posts
i can relate to those 100%!! and yes you should write a manual lol :) seriously there should be a book for infps only. i have had a lot of ideas, and thankfully though my mom does seem interested in them. she will listen as i tell her my (often very outlandish) ideas and she usually likes them. but then again im not sure, maybe she thinks their just too odd?

i have an extreme guilt problem. and i am very hard on myself. like right now im kinda berating myself for being such a procrastinator. also i think i have a bit of ocd, but im not sure. but i say "im sorry" so much that the words are strictly forbidden for me to say anymore! does anyone else do this? or am i the only one? i mean am i the only one who says "im sorry" so much? is this an infp thing or just me?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts