Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
I wonder if there is also intentional issues when sending out desire. If I want a house in the country, does the desire become the intention or the house or both? So I am left with intention for desire - which suggests there is something lacking when in fact there certainly is not. So with desire, is it the house in the country the cause of suffering or is it the desire which then indicates lack. Creation of a void called desire rather than a house in the country.
Desire is the root cause of all suffering in my opinion - this has been taught in Yoga class.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If desire can be considered as the root cause of all evil, it goes without saying that it is the root cause of all suffering, since suffering is the greatest evil of mankind.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Certainly, it is a good question. It makes everyone of us here think further in this discussion. We have to say that desire not to have one itself is a desire!!

·
Registered
693 Posts
I am still reading Esoteric Psychology by Alice Bailey so I don't have a lot of details. In the book Desire is defined as love and that in our modern day we have altered ts meaning. Desire as love may have to do with intentions in my opinion. I'll have to read some more.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is an interesting definition for desire you find in the book you just mentioned Susanna. Well connotations do change in course of time!

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
I desire to breathe and to keep breathing, what is evil about that? Buddha's wisdom was weak, I could get better advice from Dr. Seuss!

Have you ever considered what the Bible has to say about it?

"For the love of money is a root of all sorts of injurious things,"

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
I am still reading Esoteric Psychology by Alice Bailey so I don't have a lot of details. In the book Desire is defined as love and that in our modern day we have altered ts meaning. Desire as love may have to do with intentions in my opinion. I'll have to read some more.
Desire

Under the soft translucent linen,
the ridges around your nipples

harden at the thought of my tongue.
You, arched like an inverted letter C -

move yourself deliberately
wanting the warm press of my lips,

its wet to coat the skin
that is bristling, burning,

breaking into sweats of desire -
sweet juices of imagination.

But in fact, I haven't even touched
you. At least, not as yet.

By Sudeep Sen
From the book - "Indian Love Poems"

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
The universe is driven by energy. You can choose to pass that energy on to other as much as you can or you can choose to accumulate as much energy as possible.
You can easily see which of the two is better. If all energy is accumulated and not shared everything will come to a standstill and wither.
The path of giving is the path of love. The path of greed is that of un-love. The path of love is the path of life. The path of greed is the path that leads to death.

The material existence is, through the laws of evolution, dominated by greed. That is why the Buddha also says that we must detach ourselves from matter.
That does not mean standing aside, but rather it means not limiting one's loving kindness to a small, limited group.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Desire

Under the soft translucent linen,
the ridges around your nipples

harden at the thought of my tongue.
You, arched like an inverted letter C -

move yourself deliberately
wanting the warm press of my lips,

its wet to coat the skin
that is bristling, burning,

breaking into sweats of desire -
sweet juices of imagination.

But in fact, I haven't even touched
you. At least, not as yet.

By Sudeep Sen
From the book - "Indian Love Poems"
That is beautiful. Moving.

·
Registered
693 Posts
The universe is driven by energy. You can choose to pass that energy on to other as much as you can or you can choose to accumulate as much energy as possible.
You can easily see which of the two is better. If all energy is accumulated and not shared everything will come to a standstill and wither.
The path of giving is the path of love. The path of greed is that of un-love. The path of love is the path of life. The path of greed is the path that leads to death.

The material existence is, through the laws of evolution, dominated by greed. That is why the Buddha also says that we must detach ourselves from matter.
That does not mean standing aside, but rather it means not limiting one's loving kindness to a small, limited group.
Well stated. I would imagine service then is the sharing of energy.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I wish I could avoid sexual desire. It has been the root of all my suffering, as I never seem to find a decent man with whom I can be intimate. I'm not looking for one here, but I am wanting to not desire that sort of thing these days. Maybe I should go for this Buddhist philosophy.

·
Registered
30,772 Posts
No asceticism for me, thanks...at least not the self-induced kind. And for whatever it's worth, why is it somehow axiomatic that there must always be a root cause for any given phenomenon? I understand the "desire" to discover the underpinnings of life's many paradoxes, but sometimes they just exist and will continue to do so despite our attempts to put them in some sort of box or pattern that renders them somewhat intelligible. It's more an observation than a criticism, and indeed, I am frequently guilty of doing the same.
This hubris of human nature is an interesting quality we all share to varying degrees, and it can be useful, me thinks, so long as we don't become dogmatic or overly certain about anything. My 2 cents.

Reactions: ytisibrsk

·
Registered
137 Posts
Does the word "virgin" mean "young woman," "unmarried woman," or "a female with her hymen intact?" Does "desire" mean "sexual urge," "envy," "want," or "need?" The problem with words that have been translated from a living language that has evolved over thousands of years is that you cannot know the original meaning or intent. I applaud everyone who wants to pursue a spiritual path, but I suggest you find a path that has not been open to misinterpretation for thousands of years (there are recent spiritual technologies which have not had their meanings lost to the ages).

1 - 20 of 54 Posts