Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When do you detach from your emotions and why do you do it? Was it because you didn't want your emotions to be tangled with an important decision? Seeing it from a different angle? Post away!

·
Registered
96 Posts
sometimes emotions can have biased consequences, and people can take advantage of a person who bases actions on emotions and feelings. detaching from emotion in some cases makes me see things how they truly are and can be an eye opener towards reality.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I generally attempt to detach myself from my feelings, at least to a degree. It is a defense mechanism. When I was younger, I felt things so intensely that it interfered with...well, most things. I was easily hurt, disappointed, outraged, etc. It also made me rather awkward. Calming down and processing the world more by way of my reason alleviated much of this. Now, like Dominique Francon from the Fountainhead, I am to the point where it only hurts down to a certain point. I consider myself a Stoic.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
sometimes emotions can have biased consequences, and people can take advantage of a person who bases actions on emotions and feelings. detaching from emotion in some cases makes me see things how they truly are and can be an eye opener towards reality.
This.

But I don't remember ever 'feeling' emotions. Rather I mimic them

I like to remain emotionally detached because then my opinion is usually objective. The only time I am subjective about something is when it directly interferes with my own personal lifestyle

A friend of mine whom studies psychology tells me I show signs of Sociopathy. I can see it for sure, but I know I'm not a bad person, so I rather use it to my advantage

·
Registered
440 Posts
the sentence detaching from emotions is synonymous to IMPOSSIBLE for me unfortunately :'(
it sucks the life out of me to detach from it

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I try to "detach" from it, but its not necessarily so easy as I've noticed it requires a lot of focus on the vision of my Ni.

Technically, I wouldn't call it "detach" per-say, but I would like to call it more as "staying strongly focused on vision and being secure with that will lead to emotional harmony despite circumstances"... so I'm still certainly attached to my emotions, I've just been able to manage them as I need to.

Its difficult to do, and it takes a lot of trust and faith that everything will work out okay if you follow that "vision" but overall you're happier, more secure emotionally, and your relationships (on your side) are better.

Reactions: pajamiez

·
Registered
141 Posts
This.

But I don't remember ever 'feeling' emotions. Rather I mimic them

I like to remain emotionally detached because then my opinion is usually objective. The only time I am subjective about something is when it directly interferes with my own personal lifestyle

A friend of mine whom studies psychology tells me I show signs of Sociopathy. I can see it for sure, but I know I'm not a bad person, so I rather use it to my advantage
I think that what you're describing is schizoid personality, my friend has it, and it makes her kind of robotic, but she's really kind, just a little cold, and only because I know her for years I know that, couldn't tell otherwise. She got Fe and I thought she would have Ti, I guess that's just the disorder covering it up. Reading about mental issues is sort of my hobby, so I had to point it out...don't even say that you see any resemblance in yourself to sociopathy...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schizoid_personality_disorder

I don't think I'm capable of detaching myself emotionally from situation...I just don't have that ability...only denial. The only thing working for me is to try and not to make any sense, and when I feel that something is right, then I go for it. I always choose the wrong option when I'm pushing myself into being reasonable, it's too much pressure for me to get it right.

I think that my way of analyzing things, is throughout my dreams, maybe it's a gentle way of getting information, a way in which I'm subconscious...a less painful one. Even though my dreams are totally psychedelic, I have these logical thoughts following them and analyzing them while I'm having my dreams, sounds strange but it's brilliant. I only remember my dreams as they come though, without any analysis, I'm not suppose to remember that, it slipped only a few times but it's there.

·
Registered
34 Posts
definitely a defense mechanism. detaching from emotions gives a false sense of protection from being hurt by some one. It helps me feel less vulnerable, but in the long run seems to just cause more resentment.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts