Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How detail oriented do you like your teachers to be?

Though the subjects vary in detail required for acceptability I find these teachers who are very picky about details that really don't make a big difference, but I get point deductions for that stuff. Considering that I am ISTJ you would think that I would appreciate detail oriented care, but I find that I care to follow my own standards of right and wrong. Though an authority may not always see eye to eye with me, just means I must find a way to change their mind or vice versa.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
How detail oriented do you like your teachers to be?

Though the subjects vary in detail required for acceptability I find these teachers who are very picky about details that really don't make a big difference, but I get point deductions for that stuff. Considering that I am ISTJ you would think that I would appreciate detail oriented care, but I find that I care to follow my own standards of right and wrong. Though an authority may not always see eye to eye with me, just means I must find a way to change their mind or vice versa.
I have a math teacher right now who is picky about details that don't really matter, as you've described, and I personally enjoy it. The more detail oriented, the better.

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I find when it comes to social issues, and moral matters I draw a black-and-whiteness about right and wrong.

When it comes to school I will normally say "it doesn't make a big enough difference to make a big deal over. My way is just fine, and the teacher doesn't lack that much logic to understand others structuring right?"

It's a complicated issue, I have trouble explaining my opinion in a general sense.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
I have a math teacher right now who is picky about details that don't really matter, as you've described, and I personally enjoy it. The more detail oriented, the better.
I teach math, and it kind of depends on what you're talking about whether something matters or not. For example, giving 3 or -3 as an answer is a detail that matters, since the two are different ideas.

But a lot of math is language based and notation based, so arguing whether or not it matters is like arguing whether or not grammar matters. To some people, some of the details of grammar mean nothing. To others, it's a big deal.

So in math, what matters and what doesn't is objective in some cases and very subjective in others.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Depends on the subject / task at hand. If it's an essay I'd like them to give me an approximate 'marking schedule' or a fairly detailed 'requirements' document so I know what criteria I need to be fulfilling. Would I want them to severely restrict how I write my essay due to an insane amount of 'criteria'? No. I do agree that going overboard with the detail is tiresome. I generally like detail/guidance as I haven't had a teacher who has given too much detail but I have had teachers who don't give enough detail (which I think would be much more annoying).

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
These details can greatly vary. I need examples to give a true answer..
Agreed. My professor in one of my online classes (business classes BTW) has specified the following criteria for the discussion boards:

1. First posting must be made by 11:59 P.M. on Tuesday of that week.
2. Said posting must cite references used and month/year of access.
3. Postings must be at least three paragraphs of 5 - 7 sentences each.
4. Initial posting must begin with the greeting of "Everyone", and close with your name.
5. Two replies to other students' postings must be made by 11:59 P.M. of that same week.
6. See #2 and #3 for additional criteria.
7. Posting must begin with the student's name, and close with your name.
8. Content, mechanics, spelling, and grammar are all graded.

Specific enough for you? :laughing:

Anyway, knowing those rules, I can do the assignments correctly and on-time. Needless to say I prefer my professors to be as precise as I am. If/when they are vague, they can expect me to blow up their email box with questions.

·
Registered
324 Posts
When i was taking classes for my paralegal degree some the writing assignments could get very detailed in the way you wrote your paper, how you defended your point of view, and overall structure of the paper. It can get very aggravating but luckily i didnt have alot of trouble since i was able to write and support my points of view.

Reactions: niss and Sela
1 - 8 of 8 Posts