Personality Cafe banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ah, not sure what to say but, I was wondering if you guys get vibes from people that kind of lets you know if they're the "right" people when it comes to making friends or whoever, that it's something in the sense INFPs would be sensitive to honesty (and pick up on bs easier).

·
Registered
784 Posts
Ah, not sure what to say but, I was wondering if you guys get vibes from people that kind of lets you know if they're the "right" people when it comes to making friends or whoever, that it's something in the sense INFPs would be sensitive to honesty (and pick up on bs easier).
I feel like I do, but I'm always wrong.

·
Registered
INFP 5w6
1,322 Posts
Within a few seconds of meeting a new person there is always something inside that somehow quietly shouts 'NOT FRIEND WORTHY', or even existing friends that are going through a phase. My internal dialogue says 'i don't need this person in my life right now'. -drops-

It becomes a job to listen but not take as a truth, since people are similar to diamonds in that they have many different faces for different reasons. Usually many of these reasons do not pertain to their soul or essence, but are just things we do to survive in a tumultuous world therefore these things should hold no real significance ultimately. I always push for the patience to a fair trail as sudden judgement can severely limit your opportunities for a better quality of life, while simultaneously running the risk of planting a false idea in someone elses (sub)conscious.

In an ideal world i would not like to judge but that attitude will get me killed before time. So making good judgement is crucial for a vagabond type, we do this by being thorough in our reasoning and not avoiding ideas so we can arrive more frequently at complete outcomes. Following this principle moment to moment will lead to a carefree existence since you perceive the "why?" in everything in 'The moment'.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Yes.

I think it's Si, Ne and Fi. Like Si recognizes things about this person you have seen before. Ne has seen how these things play out and Fi determines whether you like those things about that person.

Example: Guy with tattoos all over his body.

Si might say : This guy reminds me of this other guy I knew with tattoos, or this guy on tv, or this celebrity, with tattoos.

Ne: And that guy, celebrity, , tv character was a wild person, maybe most people who get that many tattoos are wild

Fi: I don't like wild people, I don't want to be friends with this person, I prefer stable more relaxed people.

I could be wrong but that's how I think we pick up a vibe.

or maybe it's

Fi: I don't like tattoos.

Ne: Because wild people get tattoos.

Si: Look at all these examples of wild people who have gotten tattoos.

Te: I won't be friends with that guy who has the tattoos.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Fi: I don't like tattoos.

Ne: Because wild people get tattoos.

Si: Look at all these examples of wild people who have gotten tattoos.

Te: I won't be friends with that guy who has the tattoos.
Wouldn't Ne be the generation of new ideas? Unless you'd generate that 'wild people get tattoos' on the spot.
This seems like the fabled Fi-Si loop.
(I suppose it doesn't need to be of your own generation, but you could get it from the outside.)

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
I do, but I experience a difference between deeper vibe and solid vibe.
Putting this experience into words is going to be difficult :/

Many times, I'll meet a person and I get a "deep vibe", very abstract, I could use the cheesy phrase "seeing their soul with my inner eye", I have no other words to describe the experience, honestly.
Simultaneously, I'm getting another tangential vibe, which feels... different. It's more related to their behavior and the words they speak, but it's not exactly their personality, it's something else.
Many times I have chosen not to befriend someone whose "soul" I felt matched mine, because their tangential vibe was too confusing for me and I didn't trust them.
I felt a disconnect between what I read as their "soul", what I read as "their vibe" and what I read as their personality/behavior. The 3 of them combined didn't mesh, the person didn't seem coherent to me, so I would keep them at a distance.
Time would pass, usually years, and these people that I kept at a distance -despite always loving their "soul" and feeling this incredible pull toward them from own inner being (not my personality)- would for some reason end up getting close to me, and they would become good friends of mine, and once I could know them up close, I could see how I was right all along. Their personality/behavior is mismatched with their soul or heart or whatever abstract thing I'm picking up with my inner eye. And I end up understanding a lot about my friendships with these people once I get really close to them and see everything up close.
I've had a few friendships like this. And I've learned that when my inner eye sees something, it's always right. Of course Ne always makes me doubt myself and question everything. But I'm astonished that I'm always right in those circumstances whenever I decide to get close to the person and see what's up.

I even had this experience with people from the internet. We would get along amazing online, and we would be friends for a long time, and of course I couldn't pick up on nuances because I never saw them, I never skyped with them or anything, it was all written text. When we would eventually meet in the flesh, with some people I would get this vibe about what I call their "soul" but I'm not saying it's their soul, I'm saying it's something deep and abstract about them that I have no word for. I would ignore these vibes they were giving me, because they made no rational sense to me. We had gotten along excellently for a long time, so I would decide I was being crazy. But the feeling never disappeared. I felt a disconnect between our personalities getting along & our souls not getting along. But of course I couldn't tell them this, because it sounds fucking crazy. I have no proof to show. So anyways, time would prove me right. The people that gave me those vibes would eventually do things like betray me or treat me poorly, as if they morphed into someone else, as I would sit there telling myself "stop it, you are being crazy" trying to shut down my intuition because I had no proof.
I have found that my intuition is always right, but I tend to stomp on it, call it "crazy" and ask it to give me proof of something. I've been practicing listening to it more in the last year. Sometimes I do and sometimes I can't help stomping on it because it's my default reaction. My plan is to listen to it more and more and stop calling myself crazy. If I had listened to it every time, I would've saved myself a ton of heartache. But then I wouldn't have the life experience I have, so X) it's all good I guess.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Wouldn't Ne be the generation of new ideas? Unless you'd generate that 'wild people get tattoos' on the spot.
This seems like the fabled Fi-Si loop.
(I suppose it doesn't need to be of your own generation, but you could get it from the outside.)
Ne is also patter recognition. Seeing the possibilities. This person has tattoos and could possibly be a wild person.

You think the Fi-Si loop a fable? I wish it was lol

·
Registered
109 Posts
Ne is also patter recognition. Seeing the possibilities. This person has tattoos and could possibly be a wild person.

You think the Fi-Si loop a fable? I wish it was lol
Are both Ni and Ne pattern recognition functions? This might be more Ni then actually if not.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Are both Ni and Ne pattern recognition functions? This might be more Ni then actually if not.
I think they both are. Well our Ni is connected to our Si so that could be the case. But Ne can also foresee a chain of events happening, you thinking because they have tattoos you might not get along because of Si evidence. Could be Ni though lie you said.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I think they both are. Well our Ni is connected to our Si so that could be the case. But Ne can also foresee a chain of events happening, you thinking because they have tattoos you might not get along because of Si evidence. Could be Ni though lie you said.
How is our Ni connected to Si?

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
How is our Ni connected to Si?
In Shadow function theory our shadow functions are connected in a different order to our main functions, I forget how it works exactly but for INFPs our shadow function order is Fe-Ni-Se-Ti. But the shadow functions are connected like this our 8 to and then the rest push back a number so INFPs would go like this Fi-Ti Ne-Fe Si-Ni-Te-Se. And because of that INFps have an Se blindspot, we do not comprehend Se experiences consciously, or impose force on others consciously and we feel unforgettable doing that.

But our Si has an Ni undertone, our Ne has Fe sight for other's feelings, and our Fi has Ti reasoning in it apparently.

·
Registered
109 Posts
In Shadow function theory our shadow functions are connected in a different order to our main functions, I forget how it works exactly but for INFPs our shadow function order is Fe-Ni-Se-Ti. But the shadow functions are connected like this our 8 to and then the rest push back a number so INFPs would go like this Fi-Ti Ne-Fe Si-Ni-Te-Se. And because of that INFps have an Se blindspot, we do not comprehend Se experiences consciously, or impose force on others consciously and we feel unforgettable doing that.

But our Si has an Ni undertone, our Ne has Fe sight for other's feelings, and our Fi has Ti reasoning in it apparently.
I have never heard of that before actually. Have a source?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah I tend to pick up on vibe pretty quickly and care a lot about the vibe of a person, group of people, or places. More so than concrete sensory data or whatever

·
Registered
My vehicle is INFP, 9w8. Vroom vroom!!
1,690 Posts
The main vibes I get from people are their inner friendly intention. Maybe their friendly intention isn't as strong as I see it, but it's there to some extent!

My friends can talk about how someone is a jerk or otherwise disagreeable, and I'm always dumbfounded because I normally think they're kind and well-intentioned! It's normally my F-type friends talking about a T-type. The person has something pleasant about them, though. A little shimmer in their eyes, a friendly smile behind their face, or a big smile right on their face! It's fantastic!

·
Registered
Type 8w9
1,490 Posts
I don't have a sensor for the 'right' people, but inevitably I always feel like something's off about people who end up trying to make a mess of our bond later down the road. Of course I ignore these signals until I've invested myself deeply enough, then decide to blow it up.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I do analyse people quite a lot, but I think it's also more of a defence thing for me. If I'm not use to something and I see someone portray it, I might get a "vibe" from the person that they aren't well behaved or comfortable to be around. However, that might be just because I'm not use to it and nothing about the person. The more interactions I've had, and the more awareness of myself I've discovered, the more I'm coming to terms that vibes don't match with behaviour.

·
Registered
INFP 4w5
1,285 Posts
I'd say my intuition isn't as well developed as others have perhaps mentioned, though whether that's due to neglect, life experience or something else I'm not sure. However, I almost always get vibes and impressions about people; it subconsciously informs my interactions with them to such an extent that if I weren't able to avail myself of this ability I would feel as though someone had removed a limb. One thing I will say is that for as long as I can remember, I've had an inner sense of 'knowingness' and every time I've acted out of step with this I've always suffered for it in some sense.

Perhaps this is one of the reasons I can be uncomfortable around drunk people or animals. If I can't get a read on them or contextualise their actions, the unpredictability of it unsettles me.

I definitely do have an ability to feel an instant rapport or affinity with someone. The ability to just look at someone, or be alongside them, and think to myself "you seem familiar". I made one one of my best friends from one such feeling, not too long after I discovered typology actually, though we haven't spoken in a little while now. However, experience has also taught me that while I have a keen sense of what constitutes a 'kindred spirit' or some level of intrinsic compatibility, I can't really tell from that surface feeling exactly what kind of person they are or whether we would fit together on a deeper level as individuals. It's like some sort of karmic family, I'll always wish them well on the level of our shared understanding, but the more closely I've come to know them, there have been some surprising differences.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts