Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm trying to confirm my type accounting for conflicting information. I do a lot of creative right brain things, and some left brain things too. The trouble is that it is very hard to "disprove" counterfactuals because the nature of my activities can be accounted for under a number of views of type. Even with enhanced understanding of the functions I'm having a hard time "knowing" for sure if I am using one function or the other. So I thought maybe if I post some examples that I could get some feedback based on thinking about the Functions involved.

One of my favorite activities in recent years is roller skating. Specifically I like what is called "Break Skating" or "Jam Skating" which combines breakdance moves with quad skates. It is intensely athletic and heavy on Se. The precision of Se involved is not something I was blessed with when younger. Late development could point to INFJ but I have always had some access to it. When I was 23 I was a member of the Coast Guard Drill Team. We did a lot of precision tricks with our weapons but it was very much hand-eye fine motor control more than the raw athleticism and kinesthetic awareness of Se required by Break Skating. Ugh - but both are Se. LOL it's tough to know for sure what I'm using or how remote the function is. All I know is that as a kid and teen I was very clumsy. My athleticism and physical skill began in earnest in my 20s and went into hyperdrive in late 30s early 40s.

My oldest favorite activity is art in general. I learned to draw when I was a kid and was painting by the time I was in middle school. My painting took a sudden upsurge in skill with regard to academic realism beginning in my late 30s. Academic realism is a mixed bag. You can be talking NT or SP depending on the artist. Most INFJ artists shy away from it relying more on symbolism. I think you would see more Mannerist and Impressionist INFJ. Hard to say for sure. It has NT elements in understanding perspective and a lot of technical elements and SP in terms of execution.

Some of my work contains elements of NT & NF such as my first book "Runes of Magness" published in 2008. It is many things in one. It is a Bildungsroman that is purposefully Mannerist (the images are purposely stylized and unrealistic - with overblown architectural forms), it revolves thematically on the understanding of Emblems in both semiotic and cultural historic senses - NF and NT realms. It is a puzzle involving the deciphering of calligraphic "runes" that are a neography and constructed language I developed over many years - again an NF and NT realm. In other words it is a giant strange mess. The only thing I can say for sure it is NOT is SJ & SP rofl.

Cover

Sample Page

I'm very active in selling my art - up close and personal. I'm not satisfied to just sell it online. I like going to shows and talking to people about my book, about my paintings and prints - and selling it and making $Money! This is decidedly un-INFJ. It is a very ENTP - ESTP type activity. Unless... unless you are talking about the Gypsy King or Cobra versions of the Many Faces of INFJ. Here's a picture of me at a show with my art assistant and model Cindy (ISFP) - we go around on skates doing tricks to get people interested. We put on a show and sell the art.

One of the things I do at shows is participate in cosplay. This year at AdventureCon I won best in show with my Iron Man suit I made from scratch. I devised my own plans and it is built with 32'sqr of polyolefin and 694 rivets with 20 cans of car paint. It's heavy at 40lbs and hotter than the hinges of hell. (Much like Cindy - LOL) --- Now what the heck did I use for this? Ne for intuiting the externals of assembling it like an ENTP? Se for the aesthetics and tool use? Ni-Ti/Te for coming up with a two year plan to build it and then enter it in shows to win money? I mean what the heck am I doing here with this?

Aside from creative projects I've been an entrepreneur starting and selling my own company. I've worked in IT for 15 years now, and currently work as a software analyst at a research facility. I'm a dad, a husband with a mortgage and a dog in the burbs. I volunteer with kids which is very NF and do this concrete stuff like my military stuff which was very SJ.

I can see any of the functions at play in any of these activities. Am I using Si when I use nutrition and exercise to monitor my weight or am I using Se for kinsthetic awareness and substituting NT planning for handling things like nutrition in the absense of self-regulatory Si?

I think one day I have it solved and the next day I think I'm all wrong. I find a whole lot of commonality with the INFJ folks based on my interactions with them in the INFJ portion of the Cafe. But I can hold my own in a discussion with NT too.

What the heck am I? It's maddening. :crazy:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Very interesting! I'm an NF (probably an INFP). My art is more on the fantasy/manga side. I prefer the the non realistic or the realistic as to give an environment to the nonrealistic.

I'm also an enneagram typ 4 and am interested in both writing, drawing, painting and academics. But I haver never sold anything and don't feel to secure about the things I create.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well, based on your explanation, it's entirely possible that you could be an ESFJ. The cognitive functions (Fe, Si, Ne, Ti) would make the most sense to me, based on what I've read because with a dominant Fe function, you would be very outgoing and people-oriented (which could account for your volunteering and such!). The SJ combination accounts for your dutiful nature (military involvement, for example.). It's also important to note that many people with these functions often surprise others with how crazy their out-of-work lives can be (accounting for your numerous unique hobbies!), which makes them loyal and dutiful during work/military events, but a lot more "crazy" in their personal lives.

Both ESFJ and ISFJ types have the same functions in a different order, and ISFJ could be another possible answer if you believe that the Si function of the four listed is more dominant than your Fe, but given your unsure language to SI vs Se, I would assume that Fe is the dominant function.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I see you as more of an SP than anything. Your work is bold, it's sensuous, it stands out, it's clear, it's well-crafted. You're probably a profoundly gifted ESFP. ESFPs are also good at relating to others.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I would say ESFP.

You seem to have a knack for showing movement or making stuff that evoke a wannabe 3D feeling (it makes me want to touch them to see if it's at least partly 3D or not, especially the cover, I wanna touch that). Another thing that I noticed, is that you like doing a lot of activities that are related to Se. The variety of things is very Ne-like, which is how ESFPs very often act. But you lack Ne's desire to keep trying new things and instead focus on few that stimulate as many of your senses as possible.

"Up-close and personal" is also the preferred way of ESFPs of doing... everything. Personal things usually give them more of a feeling of it being real than impersonal ones.

Another thing I noticed is that you are very "active". You are an entrepreneur, you have a family, you make art, you do sports, etc. This is also very common for Se-doms and shows that you also use Te to keep yourself organised and it pushes you to be as efficient as possible (just making art isn't enough).

Your Te also shows in you being interested in puzzles and history.

"It is a puzzle involving the deciphering of calligraphic "runes" that are a neography and constructed language I developed over many years - again an NF and NT realm. In other words it is a giant strange mess. The only thing I can say for sure it is NOT is SJ & SP rofl."
Actually, this sounds VERY ESFP. NTs wouldn't call it "giant strange mess", NTs would perfect the language and then show it to the world or even talk about it. You were experimenting with bunch of stuff that looked good together (I assume) and you organised it with your Te.

In all honesty, if you told me you were writing Supernatural fanfictions about Dean and Castiel (and were a female) I would suspect you of being my ESFP friend. :p This is exactly something she would write (but she doesn't have children).

You getting along with various types is also something you share with ESFPs. They get along well because they love personal interactions. Their Fi can drive them to volunteer (contrary to popular belief, high Fi users are just as likely to do so as Fe users) and to help people but they are usually unwilling to express their emotions which they usually don't do even with their art. being very perceptive of world around them makes them also do art that feels "real" or "practical" rather than symbolic.

You seem to be very ambitious, driven and motivated and focusing on art that either stimulates Te or Se.

All in all, you sound very ESFP to me based on this description. Of course, it doesn't mean it has to be your type, cognitive functions are more complex than that. But maybe you should rethink your type and judge for yourself.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Your Se is quite dynamic in your art and hobbies. The rune part could suggest a very strong T, either extraverted or introverted. Also, the unsureness of why you're doing something could suggest either weak Ni or Fi.

I haven't interacted or talked with you but for now I'm going to type you as some sort user of Se, Ti, Fe, Ni. Most likely ISTP or ESTP.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts