Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 166 Posts

·
MOTM June 2010
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am happy that after many years of typing on the forums, we are now beginning to understand that we’re more than just a four-letter code and that there is actually a make-up to each type. An ENFP for example is not just those letters instead there is a basic method in how that type will use the functions with are set in place, i.e., Ne-Fi-Te-Si-Ni-Fe-Ti-Se. The discussions will continue in how the function placements will be for a certain type and people will continue to give their view of what a particular function does, but that debate is for another day.

What I would like to provide is a simple to use process that may help those still confused on their type, to get on the right path in determining your best fit type. I say best fit because even the MBTI foundation is starting to admit there is no sure fire means of determining one's type and there is no 100% accuracy.

It’s natural for someone that has become comfortable in knowing their dominant function, to remain confused on their actual type. For years I tested as, and thought I was, INTP. I knew that I dominated with Ti, but gave ISTP very little consideration because of my ability to use my intuition. After considerable reading and understanding the order of functions and how they work, I was finally able to determine my type using Dr. Linda V. Berens and Dario Nardi’s method. But remember nothing comes easy and this process calls for you to work on being objectively honest with yourself. This process will not be about testing or reading descriptions. It will be about you reflecting on how you are in lieu of circumstances or social expectations.

Determining Your Temperament

Contrary to popular belief temperament is not MBTI, and MBTI is not Jung’s work. The systems are completely independent of what another and attempts to correlate them are futile and only confuses us more. However using temperament as a tool, knowing and becoming comfortable with your most preferred temperament will allow you to narrow your choices of type and sometimes is the arbiter in determining whether you are ESFP/ENFP, ISTP/INTP, INTJ/IFNF etc. As you may have noticed I said temperament preference because we do use all four temperaments the same as we use all eight cognitive functions. But one of those temperaments will be differentiated the same as your dominant function. The question becomes which.

Okay I hate assessments in determining type but this assessment is different since it does not ask you to make a forced choice questions. You will depict each word or phrase representing a particular temperament against one another or other words and phrases until you have concluded which temperament is most preferred. The results will show which core values you most prefer and those you use in a secondary manner.

Instruction: When taking the test many of you with lack of work experience should simply consider how you are in school or during an activity that you feel most comfortable whether it be an extra-curricula activity like playing a team sport or being part of a band. Don’t just accept the results if you choose to take the test. Review the varied descriptions below to ascertain which you do naturally:
People of the Catalyst Temperament . . .

Want to be authentic, benevolent, and empathic. Search for identity, meaning, and significance. Are relationship oriented, particularly valuing meaningful relationships. Tend to be idealistic and visionary, wanting to make the world a better place. Look to the future. Trust their intuition, imagination, and impressions. Focus on developing potential, fostering and facilitating growth through coaching, teaching, counseling, and communicating. Generally are enthusiastic. Think in terms of integration and similarities and look for universals. Often are gifted in the use of metaphors to bridge different perspectives. Usually are diplomatic. Frequently are drawn to work that inspires and develops people and relationships.

The core needs are for the meaning and significance that come from having a sense of purpose and working toward some greater good. They need to have a sense of unique identity. They value unity, self-actualization, and authenticity. People of this temperament prefer cooperative interactions with a focus on ethics and morality. They tend to trust their intuition and impressions first and then seek to find the logic and the data to support them. Given their need for empathic relationships, they learn more easily when they can relate to the instructor and the group.

People of the Stabilizer Temperament . . .

Want to fit in, to have membership. Hunger for responsibility, accountability, and predictability. Tend to be generous, to serve, and to do their duty. Establish and maintain institutions and standard operating procedures. Tend to protect and preserve, to stand guard and warn. Look to the past and tradition. Foster acculturation with ceremonies and rules. Trust contracts and authority. Want security and stability. Think in terms of what is conventional, comparisons, associations, and discrete elements. Generally are serious, concerned, and fatalistic. Usually are skilled at ensuring that things, information, and people are in the right place, in the right amounts, in the right quality, at the right time. Frequently gravitate toward business and commerce.

The core needs are for group membership and responsibility. They need to know they are doing the responsible thing. They value stability, security, and a sense of community. They trust hierarchy and authority and may be surprised when others go against these social structures. People of this temperament prefer cooperative actions with a focus on standards and norms. Their orientation is to their past experiences, and they like things sequenced and structured. They tend to look for the practical applications of what they are learning.

People of the Theorist Temperament . . .

Want knowledge and to be competent, to achieve mastery. Seek expertise to understand how the world and things in it work. Are theory oriented. See everything as conditional and relative. Are oriented to the infinite. Trust logic and reason. Want to have a rationale for everything. Are skeptical. Think in terms of differences, delineating categories, definitions, structures, and functions. Hunger for precision, especially in thought and language. Usually are skilled at long-range planning, inventing, designing, and defining. Generally are calm. Foster individualism. Frequently gravitate toward technology and the sciences. Tend to be well suited for engineering and devising strategy, whether in the social sciences or physical sciences.

The core needs are for mastery of concepts, knowledge, and competence. People of this temperament want to understand the operating principles of the universe and to learn or even develop theories for everything. They value expertise, logical consistency, concepts, and ideas and seek progress. They tend toward pragmatic, utilitarian actions with a technology focus. They trust logic above all else. They tend to be skeptical and highly value precision in language. Their learning style is conceptual, and they want to know the underlying principles that generate the details and facts rather than the details alone.

People of the Improviser Temperament . . .

Want the freedom to choose the next act. Seek to have impact, to get results. Want to be graceful, bold, and impressive. Generally are excited and optimistic. Are absorbed in the action of the moment. Are oriented toward the present. Seek adventure and stimulation. Hunger for spontaneity. Trust impulses, luck, and their ability to solve any problem they run into. Think in terms of variation. Have a talent for noticing and describing rich detail, constantly seeking relevant information. Like freedom to move, festivities, and games. Tend to be natural negotiators. Seize opportunities. Usually are gifted tacticians, deciding the best move to make in the moment, the expedient action to take. Are frequently drawn to all kinds of work that requires variation on a theme.

The core needs are to have the freedom to act without hindrance and to see a marked result from action. People of this temperament highly value aesthetics, whether in nature or art. Their energies are focused on skillful performance, variety, and stimulation. They tend toward pragmatic, utilitarian actions with a focus on technique. They trust their impulses and have a drive to action. They learn best exponentially and when they see the relevance of what they are learning to what they are doing. They enjoy hands-on, applied learning with a fast pace and freedom to explore.
Once you establish a temperament preference, try it on for size by reflecting on your day-to-day experiences and how you naturally respond to various institutions. Once you have an idea of which temperament you most likely prefer, the next process is establishing your interaction style.

This method is based on the DiSC theory of how we prefer to socialize. Like temperament we also have a differentiated interaction style and one that we may call on due to circumstances and environmental influences. While on that subject it should be worth noting that due to societal expectations, gender can play a part in how you see yourself in this process. Remember: Males are expected to interact in a direct manner, so they may naturally gravitate toward the themes which prefer to be more direct (In Charge; Chart the Course), and females who have been raised to tone down their interactions with others and be “lady-like” may gravitate toward the themes that prefer to be more informational (Get Things Going; Behind the Scenes).

I would like to provide more information on both these processes, but I am taking liberties in providing this information without the approval of Telos Publications, so I am only providing information that you may be able to find on the internet. So read the themes below and determine which is your natural style of interacting with others:
Chart-the-Course

The theme is having a course of action to follow. People of this style focus on knowing what to do and keeping themselves, the group, or the project on track. They prefer to enter a situation having an idea of what is to happen. They identify a process to accomplish a goal and have a somewhat contained tension as they work to create and monitor a plan. The aim is not the plan itself, but to use it as a guide to move things along toward the goal. Their informed and deliberate decisions are based on analyzing, outlining, conceptualizing or foreseeing what needs to be done.

Remember: These types have a course of action in mind beforehand; create a plan (or several workable plans); keep the group on track allowing for digressions as long as progress is being made; devise, define, describe, or real they way to achieve the vision; make deliberate decisions, checking against an already thought out process; focus on giving guidance and illumination so the right decision is made.

Behind-the-Scenes

The theme is getting the best result possible. People of this style focus on understanding and working with the process to create a positive outcome. They see value in many contributions and consult outside inputs to make an informed decision. They aim to integrate various information sources and accommodate differing points of view. They approach others with a quiet, calm style that may not show their strong convictions. Producing, sustaining, defining, and clarifying are all ways they support a group's process. They typically have more patience than most with the time it takes to gain support through consensus for a project or to refine the result.

Remember: These types will do what it takes to get the best result possible; see value in contributions form many people or information sources; support the group’s process by allowing for digressions then refocusing on the desired outcome; reconcile many voices in communications of the vision; make consultative decisions, integrating many sources of input; focus on understating the process to get a high quality outcome.

In-Charge

The theme is getting things accomplished through people. People of this style are focused on results, often taking action quickly. They often have a driving energy with an intention to lead a group to the goal. They make decisions quickly to keep themselves and others on task, on target, and on time. They hate wasting time and having to back track. Mentoring, executing actions, supervising, and mobilizing resources are all ways they get things accomplished. They notice right away what is not working in a situation and become painfully aware of what needs to be fixed, healed, or corrected.

Remember: These types will get things accomplished (sometimes through people, but not always); take rapid action to get things done and move on to the next project; lead the group to the goal; articulate the vision and create an environment to achieve it; make quick decisions with confidence in what is needed; focus on getting desired results as soon as possible.

Get-Things-Going

The theme is persuading and involving others. They thrive in facilitator or catalyst roles and aim to inspire others to move to action, facilitating the process. Their focus is on interaction, often with an expressive style. They Get-Things-Going™ with upbeat energy, enthusiasm, or excitement, which can be contagious. Exploring options and possibilities, making preparations, discovering new ideas, and sharing insights are all ways they get people moving along. They want decisions to be participative and enthusiastic, with everyone involved and engaged.

Remember: These types want to get everyone involved participating; move the group to action along their paths; facilitate the group’s process to work with the people where they are to get them to where they are going; get the energy moving toward an emerging vision; make enthusiastic. Collaborative decisions that ensure buy-in; focus on interactions to get more from the group than group members can do individually.
Here is an indicator that should give you an idea of your type:
Catalyst (NF) Temperament
+ Chart the Course = INFJ
+ Behind the Scenes = INFP
+ In Charge = ENFJ
+ Get Things Going = ENFP

Stabilizer (SJ) Temperament
+ Chart the Course = ISTJ
+ Behind the Scenes = ISFJ
+ In Charge = ESTJ
+ Get Things Going = ESFJ

Theorist (NT) Temperament
+ Chart the Course = INTJ
+ Behind the Scenes = INTP
+ In Charge = ENTJ
+ Get Things Going = ENTP

Improviser (SP) Temperament
+ Chart the Course = ISTP
+ Behind the Scenes = ISFP
+ In Charge = ESTP
+ Get Things Going = ESFP
That simple you may ask? Of course not, this process only assists in getting you on the right process, but you have to put in the work in getting to know yourself. We cannot tell you your type, only you can in getting to know yourself better.

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
Improviser-Catalyst with a blend of Get-Things-Going and Behind-the-Scenes. lol *head bashes on keyboard*

·
MOTM June 2010
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Improviser-Catalyst with a blend of Get-Things-Going and Behind-the-Scenes. lol *head bashes on keyboard*
No need to head bash. MBTI has most believing that personality is black/white, when it's one big shade of gray since we have a differentiated preference even in our dominant cognitive function and secondary use of others. The same goes for temperament and interaction styles since we use them all when called for. I consistently result in SP-NT and Chart the Course/Behind the Scenes. It simply means I am a fraction off of being INTP. But it took me going through a six year process to get it right.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Functianalyst
My different tests, ESFJ (stabalizer get things going), ESFP (improviser get things going), ENTP and INTP (Theorist get things going and behind the scenes), make sense now.

I've also had ENFJ and INFJ (Catalyst in charge and chart the course) and ESTP (Improviser in charge). I have had to be in charge occasionally.

I know for sure I am a (Get Things Going) person when it works
But for you "get things going" people, you know not everyone will support you and sometimes you're the only one "getting things going". That's when I switch to an introverted temperment and go behind the scenes instead of out in front getting things going, and that's when I really relate to INTP , but I don't think it's who I really am.

My temperment often switches between Theorizer and Stabilizer and Improvizer.

So now,,,, I truly feel confident with ENTP/INTP (Theorizer get things goind and behind the scenes), then ESFP(Improviser get things going), and then ESFJ (Stabilizer get things going).
I tested Theorizer first, Stabilizer second multiple times consistently on this test. Never tested Improviser, but related to the ESFP better than ESFJ.

The trick is how do I narrow it down from that? ENTP?

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
The assessment said I'm an NF or SP.
I still believe I'm an NT, though. I'm definitely an IXXP, and neither INFP or ISTP fits me.

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
No need to head bash. MBTI has most believing that personality is black/white, when it's one big shade of gray since we have a differentiated preference even in our dominant cognitive function and secondary use of others. The same goes for temperament and interaction styles since we use them all when called for. I consistently result in SP-NT and Chart the Course/Behind the Scenes. It simply means I am a fraction off of being INTP. But it took me going through a six year process to get it right.
The reason I'm so frustrated is because after all this time and finally finding something that fits my healthy self I'm probably wrong again lol. At least I'm consistent in having only the SFP parts so the E/I is what's in question. That's thanks to having figured out about shadow functions and being under stress.

I get that at least the E/I area is a grey area, but the rest I thought you were either/or based on intraversion and extraversion and that was that. I do find it interesting still that my top four are S and F both intraverted and extraverted.

The only temperament I don't relate to is Theorist but would love to have some of those features like:
THEORIST:
Want knowledge and to be competent, to achieve mastery. Seek expertise to understand how the world and things in it work. Are theory oriented (doubtful). See everything as conditional and relative. Are oriented to the infinite (not sure what that means). Trust logic and reason. Want to have a rationale for everything. Are skeptical. (Of course!)Think in terms of differences, delineating categories, definitions, structures, and functions.(not likely) Hunger for precision, especially in thought and language. (Not that I have it lol) Usually are skilled at long-range planning, inventing, designing, and defining. Generally are calm (I wish). Foster individualism. Frequently gravitate toward technology and the sciences. Tend to be well suited for engineering and devising strategy, whether in the social sciences or physical sciences.

The core needs are for mastery of concepts, knowledge, and competence. People of this temperament want to understand the operating principles of the universe and to learn or even develop theories for everything. (I toy with it while watching science programs or in spirituality but that's about it) They value expertise, logical consistency, concepts, and ideas and seek progress. They tend toward pragmatic, utilitarian actions with a technology focus (Not this part). They trust logic above all else. They tend to be skeptical and highly value precision in language. Their learning style is conceptual, and they want to know the underlying principles that generate the details and facts rather than the details alone. (doubful)
================================================================
Stabilizer has it's features I do but others I just really really don't: (bolded ones I relate to)

STABILIZER:
Want to fit in, to have membership. Hunger for responsibility, accountability, and predictability. Tend to be generous, to serve, and to do their duty (terms and words like this irk me for some reason). Establish and maintain institutions (as if! lol) and standard operating procedures(if proven to work sure but if I can find a better way I'll suggest/try that). Tend to protect and preserve, to stand guard and warn. Look to the past and tradition (I haven't got much use for this at all and I think many are meant to be broken or improved). Foster acculturation with ceremonies and rules (I can't even guess as to what this is but if the word "rules" is anywhere I'm not likely). Trust contracts and authority (I'd like to but I really don't for good reason). Want security and stability(good reasons here too). Think in terms of what is conventional, comparisons, associations, and discrete elements(probably not). Generally are serious, concerned, and fatalistic.(Under stress I can be, for sure) Usually are skilled at ensuring that things, information, and people are in the right place, in the right amounts, in the right quality, at the right time. (I'm doubtful on this one)Frequently gravitate toward business and commerce."(Hell no lol)

The core needs are for group membership and responsibility (um...no). They need to know they are doing the responsible thing. (not necessarily) They value stability, security (really who doesn't after oing through bad experiences where you were or felt vulnerable?), and a sense of community. They trust hierarchy and authority and may be surprised when others go against these social structures. (In your dreams!) People of this temperament prefer cooperative actions with a focus on standards and norms (not this part though). Their orientation is to their past experiences, and they like things sequenced and structured. They tend to look for the practical applications of what they are learning.(anything that helps is a good thing)
Ooh ok so you can be a mix in interaction styles as well. I just did a retest for functions painstakingly slow with much detail paid attention and making sure I did chose in a non-biased way because some questions I know what the function is. I even saved the results for the questions so if anyone has questions that I had the data to back it up. The results were so similar to my usual ones that gave me ISFP (if not ESFP or ENFP) Ne difference this time was Ne was elevated but the rest is practically identical.

Whoa that's a long time. By my estimate it also suggests a fraction INTJ for you since you said both Chart the course/Behind the Scenes?

Reactions: counterintuitive

·
MOTM June 2010
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Functianalyst
My different tests, ESFJ (stabalizer get things going), ESFP (improviser get things going), ENTP and INTP (Theorist get things going and behind the scenes), make sense now.

I've also had ENFJ and INFJ (Catalyst in charge and chart the course) and ESTP (Improviser in charge). I have had to be in charge occasionally.

I know for sure I am a (Get Things Going) person when it works
But for you "get things going" people, you know not everyone will support you and sometimes you're the only one "getting things going". That's when I switch to an introverted temperment and go behind the scenes instead of out in front getting things going, and that's when I really relate to INTP , but I don't think it's who I really am.
Wow! Well if anything you do have an open mind in considering all types. That’s good because many people want to be an intuiting type for whatever their motivation. You seem to be open regardless of the outcome.

The fact that without a doubt you know to have the “Get Things Going” interaction style gives an indication you are ENTP, ENFP, ESFP or ESFJ. But I pause for concern when you indicate a need to some time resort to the “Behind the Scenes” interaction style. That indicates that you may be over relating to Get Things Going due to your need to provide information instead of being direct with your interaction style. I am unsure that I am following you when you become introverted. Is this being forced upon you to tone it down? If so, why? Remember females may be encouraged to be more informative than direct and men may be more encouraged to interact directly.
My temperment often switches between Theorizer and Stabilizer and Improvizer.
One of these may be your most preferred temperament and the others may be what you need to survive at work, in your everyday life or due to circumstances.

I posted here many months ago somewhere, what Dario Nardi refers to as the Spheres of Life. Nardi in his booklet, Character and Personality Type: Discovering Your Uniqueness says that the temperaments represent different “Life Themes”. We all use these life themes in work and how we deal with different aspects of our daily lives. For example things we tend to do calling for outdoors or in nature, calls for a focus on physical activity, or inspires creativity are ruled by the Improviser temperament. SPs will have a better handle on doing these things, but all temperaments can and do use this theme. Establishment Life Themes are ruled by the Traditionalist temperament, Community Life Themes by Catalyst temperament and the world of academia by the Theorist temperament.

So do you work and if so in what theme? If not are you strongly influenced by a theme that is pervasive in your community. Towns where the largest employer is a manufacturing company naturally take on a SP flavor and if you live in a small community with a major university, it would be NT-like. Communities with a large large employer will influence your community, ergo your temperament. I would have no doubt that anyone living in the Durham-Raleigh-Chapel Hill triangle will no doubt be influenced by a NT flavor.
So now,,,, I truly feel confident with ENTP/INTP (Theorizer get things goind and behind the scenes), then ESFP(Improviser get things going), and then ESFJ (Stabilizer get things going).
I tested Theorizer first, Stabilizer second multiple times consistently on this test. Never tested Improviser, but related to the ESFP better than ESFJ.

The trick is how do I narrow it down from that? ENTP?
In this case it may be necessary to undergo a process of elimination. At least one of the temperaments is most likely being forced upon you or what you have been raised to respect from your community. It may be being brought up in a very religious community. You should quickly know which it is because you probably have a somewhat a disdain of the influence.

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
Manufacturing would be SP and not SJ? I know one job I had required speed/efficiency and precision I thought that would indicate a more SJ, but I suppose you'd have to consider my lack of knowledge on MBTI here lol.

·
MOTM June 2010
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The assessment said I'm an NF or SP.
I still believe I'm an NT, though. I'm definitely an IXXP, and neither INFP or ISTP fits me.
This is not pointed solely toward you but folks understand you have to release yourselves from this either/or and forced dichotomy mindset from reading MBTI. Owl, the test did not say you were one or the other, it said one is your most preferred temperament and the other is your secondary preference. Can you tell us how you do not fit the INFP or ISTP? If you are IXXP then you're saying you are INTP. Want an idea of how many ISTPs mistyped themselves as INTP or INTJ, including moi for six years? I had no reason to question I was not INTP until after several years of conversing with them. Besides I had been administered the assessment professionally. It's very natural for ISTPs to make that mistake per this article. But that is not to say you are ISTP, in fact did you keep your results since it sounds as though you could prefer INFP.

I don't want to get ahead of myself in your case Owl, you never said which interaction style you prefer. If you believe you are INTP, then you should resonate with the "Behind the Scenes" interaction style. That will rule out ISTP most likely, but it does not necessarily rule out INFP.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Functianalyst, you are truly the master of this forum. You are God.

Oh, either I'm an ISTP or an INFJ based upon this assessment. Either way I strongly identify with the Chart-the-Course more than the rest, though I have dabbled (but who hasn't?).

·
MOTM June 2010
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Functianalyst, you are truly the master of this forum. You are God.
Thanks Vortex but not even close on either assertions and as The Great One will tell you I am no expert.:happy:
Manufacturing would be SP and not SJ? I know one job I had required speed/efficiency and precision I thought that would indicate a more SJ, but I suppose you'd have to consider my lack of knowledge on MBTI here lol.
SJ or Stabilzer temperament will rule the Establishment Life themes such as the corporate world, big business, law enforcement, military and legal.

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
Ahh see I would have guessed (not based on temperaments of course) that corp., big business, and legal would be NJ. Shows more of my lack of knowledge lol.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
The temperament pattern you rated highest:

Theorist: Want knowledge and to be competent, to achieve. Seek to understand how the world and things in it work. Are theory oriented. See everything as conditional and relative. Are oriented to the infinite. Trust logic and reason. Want to have a rationale for everything. Are skeptical. Think in terms of differences, delineating categories, definitions, structures, and functions. Hunger for precision, especially in thought and language. Are skilled at long-range planning, inventing, designing, and defining. Generally are calm. Foster individualism. Frequently gravitate toward technology and the sciences. Well suited for engineering and devising strategy, whether in the social or physical sciences.

I've taken multiple temperament test, and I always get Theorist, so I cannot argue with it, it fits me perfectly. What does confuse me, and makes my mind want to scream again, is what you listed in the OP, that I copied below:

+ In Charge = ENTJ

The descriptions for +Chart the Course, and +Behind the Scenes, are me. This confuses me, again, because I've always thought that I could be both INTJ, and INTP. I always score as INTJ on tests, but the research and reading that I've done on the other MBTI types, has always made me question the tests, because I can fully relate to INTPs as well. The overall description of INTJ/INTP are both me. However I do relate to INTJ more, just very slight.

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
What does confuse me, and makes my mind want to scream again, is what you listed in the OP, that I copied below:

+ In Charge = ENTJ
I see I'm not the only one except in my case it's the E vs I in question. lol

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Interesting....

I went through the tests and came back with a Theorist and then Stabilizer for my top two temperaments while on the other ones I think I'm either a "Chart the course" or "Behind the Scenes" type. The "Behind the Scenes" type makes sense for me in that I'm the kind that goes for the best, aiming for perfection. However, I do want rules and structure in this so that may be where that is second for me in having a course to follow. The "In-Charge" or "Get-Things-Going" is so not me. I just don't have the desire to be social often unless I'm doing an activity that requires other people, like playing Euchre where I need to have others playing with me.

I did find it to be rather fun to run through it and see how things would come together for me as various typing systems have led to various forms of self-discovery for me. Thus, while I can say it was cool, I'm also pretty sure it isn't flawless though either. There is a fair bit of honesty and self-reflection to this which can make it tricky in a way or maybe that is just how I see it. Thanks for posting what you did including a link to the assessment.

·
MOTM June 2010
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thus, while I can say it was cool, I'm also pretty sure it isn't flawless though either. There is a fair bit of honesty and self-reflection to this which can make it tricky in a way or maybe that is just how I see it. Thanks for posting what you did including a link to the assessment.
Which is why I concluded my opening post as I did. There is no tool that gives absolute determination, which is why I hate tests. This as I stated is merely to put people on a path to determining their best fit type.

Actually I would hope people would forgo taking the assessment and instead read the synopses. But this is what our world has come to in wanting quick fixes.

·
MOTM June 2010
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
The descriptions for +Chart the Course, and +Behind the Scenes, are me. This confuses me, again, because I've always thought that I could be both INTJ, and INTP. I always score as INTJ on tests, but the research and reading that I've done on the other MBTI types, has always made me question the tests, because I can fully relate to INTPs as well. The overall description of INTJ/INTP are both me. However I do relate to INTJ more, just very slight.
Do you make an extra effort to show your feminine side when interacting with others?

EDIT: I have no problem in the thread being moved, but since it's based on anything but MBTI, I am unsure why it would be moved here. It seemed more fitting to benefit those seeking to know their type in the "What's My Type" sub-forum. (SHRUGS)

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
No surprise here: my highest, Improviser; second highest, Theorist.

Reactions: Functianalyst

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
This is not pointed solely toward you but folks understand you have to release yourselves from this either/or and forced dichotomy mindset from reading MBTI. Owl, the test did not say you were one or the other, it said one is your most preferred temperament and the other is your secondary preference. Can you tell us how you do not fit the INFP or ISTP? If you are IXXP then you're saying you are INTP. Want an idea of how many ISTPs mistyped themselves as INTP or INTJ, including moi for six years? I had no reason to question I was not INTP until after several years of conversing with them. Besides I had been administered the assessment professionally. It's very natural for ISTPs to make that mistake per this article. But that is not to say you are ISTP, in fact did you keep your results since it sounds as though you could prefer INFP.

I don't want to get ahead of myself in your case Owl, you never said which interaction style you prefer. If you believe you are INTP, then you should resonate with the "Behind the Scenes" interaction style. That will rule out ISTP most likely, but it does not necessarily rule out INFP.
I do resonate the best with the "Behind the Scenes" interaction style.

My mother is an INFP, and we clash a lot. I like to argue, but she gets offended easily and thinks I'm attacking her. She likes hugging and expressing her feelings, and I don't.

Other reasons I'm not an INFP:
-I make decisions based on logic, not feelings.
-I don't avoid conflict or strive for harmony.
-INFPs focus on the way that the conflict makes them feel, and don't really care whether or not they're right. This isn't true for me. I strongly value truth.
-I'm not a perfectionist.
-My INFP mom called me a sociopath.

Reasons some people might think I'm an INFP:
-Besides wanting to be an archaeologist, biologist, or psychologist, I want to join the peace corps...I bet that's unusual for an INTP to go for a humanitarian job. Part of it is a huge desire I have to travel and to understand different cultures and people.
-I can see the good in everything.

·
MOTM June 2010
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No surprise here: my highest, Improviser; second highest, Theorist.
What about the interaction style?
I do resonate the best with the "Behind the Scenes" interaction style.

My mother is an INFP, and we clash a lot. I like to argue, but she gets offended easily and thinks I'm attacking her. She likes hugging and expressing her feelings, and I don't.

Other reasons I'm not an INFP:
-I make decisions based on logic, not feelings.
-I don't avoid conflict or strive for harmony.
-INFPs focus on the way that the conflict makes them feel, and don't really care whether or not they're right. This isn't true for me. I strongly value truth.
-I'm not a perfectionist.
-My INFP mom called me a sociopath.

Reasons some people might think I'm an INFP:
-Besides wanting to be an archaeologist, biologist, or psychologist, I want to join the peace corps...I bet that's unusual for an INTP to go for a humanitarian job. Part of it is a huge desire I have to travel and to understand different cultures and people.
-I can see the good in everything.
Not that I disagree with your assertions, but the things highlighted are questionable. INTPs loathe conflicts more than any thinking type.

1 - 20 of 166 Posts