Personality Cafe banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a bit of a debate as to whether one should focus on developing their top two functions, or developing in all of the functions in order to be more balanced. But that is where a misunderstanding of the functions comes into play. You can debate or discuss your thoughts on this, I really want to know what you think and your personal experience of developing in your functions. So let's first ask, what do you mean by "develop in your functions?" This means that your weaknesses will first be addressed, in order to better your strengths. If you become more aware of your weaker functions, you will ultimately be stronger in your dominant and auxiliary. They all work together, they're useless when focused on separately. If you address your weaknesses, that you think come from undeveloped dominant and auxiliary functions (but they're really your weak functions), then you will find that your strengths become even stronger. Let's say all of the eight functions are like a map, the highlighted points on the map our our function stack, what we value the most. We find we cannot reach those points on the map, and it is not due to a weakness in what you are already aware of and have been focused on your entire life, but it is lack of discernment in other areas, an imbalance causing those problems. We as people make up all of them. For example, I'll just use personal experience, my mom as an ENFJ was a huge people pleaser as a child. She was very strong in her Fe, to the point where all she wanted to do was please people, leaving her very insecure, because she didn't feel like she fit in, even though she wanted to. With development of Ni over time, she started to realize that not everyone deserved it, and would cut people out who we're not meant to be in her life. That is just the development of the second function, but imagine a more extreme example, forcing you to go into your inferior and face it head on, if more developed in the inferior, your dominant wouldn't need to resort to it and lead to a neglect of it altogether, but rather you'd become more balanced in using your inferior to lead back to your dominant, as everything does.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts