Personality Cafe banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
it's just that I have an incredible low Se (according to the keys2cognition-test only 8%) and thus I can never focus on reality, I never know what's going on, I'm unable to just live in the moment, and.. One could say that I'm very dreamy and detached from reality, even more than other INFPs.
Now I think that I'm kinda missing what life could be if I'm only living in my head and not in the actual world and so I'd really like to develop my Se somehow... Yes, I know it's a shadow function and I will never really master it, but still.. It must be possible to improve it somehow.
Do you have any tips? Any "exercises" I could do? Experiences? I'll be glad to hear anything somehow related to the topic. But exercises or practical things I could actively do to improve it would be best.
Thanks already :)

·
Registered
779 Posts
Any activity that puts your focus on the physical exterior world. Drawing still life. Sports, especially group sports. Or dancing. Learning to play an instrument. Actually there are a lot of Se activities. Just pick one of your senses and think how you could strengthen it. Its probably a healthy thing for an INFP to do sometimes. Need to remember to put our feet back on the ground.

·
Banned
1,430 Posts
No, it's just you being an introvert with presumably an elaborate fantasy world. If we think of Se as things ESxx types have in common, then of course Se will be opposite to you as an INFP.

@TallGreen has good advice all the same. Taking up a hobby that involves a lot of mindful activity in the present moment will take you out of your headspace for a bit. Meditation also helps with mindfulness.

·
exploring space
ENFP
9,465 Posts
Yep, do activities that focus on the present. I'd suggest exercise but not mainly aerobic as it's easy to space out when doing that. Try some resistance training that requires you to make a mindful connection to your muscles as they work.
INPs prefer to connect with reality through Si, it is more detail-oriented and supports our physical comfort zone. Maybe you could practice being in the moment by trying to focus on specific things in your environment, like observing other people or your surroundings without letting your mind slip in daydreaming.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I'm a trained chef, and Se is sort of a necessity working in those kitchens.

From my experience, I would suggest food. Focus on flavours and textures and sounds for what they are rather than linking it to something Nanna cooked all those years ago. You can make them work together, Si and Se, but one tends to be more domineering than the other.

Other aspects in my life have been flowers. Go to a florist near closing time and you will get cheaper flowers, sometimes a bonus bouquet if you purchase something. Get used to their scents and appearances, and try cleanse your mind of conscious thought.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Se blindspot is pretty hilarious, but also irritating at times. I suggest practicing yoga and meditation, in order to feel more grounded. Maybe do it outside once it's warmer, sit down on the grass, and notice all of your surroundings. Forget about Ne, don't try to change the surroundings and go off in a spiral of thoughts, just notice. Notice how the grass feels on your skin, look up at the sky and think about the details of the clouds and the color of the sky, notice how the trees move from the wind and which direction they are moving, take in the smell of the air, notice how the temperature makes your body feel. This was even hard to write, that's how hard it is to grasp Se, and if you find that unhelpful (try it more than once), pick up a physical activity that you find enjoyable and work on that. Practice mindful breathing and listen to your body, don't take unnecessary risks, but keep pushing yourself when it gets hard. I find that I sometimes understand Se through Si, but it may very well be the bridge to understanding it more. Hopefully that'll help!

Reactions: SpaceMan

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I second @OliveBranch 's opinion. The idea of processing external sensations with Se blindspot can be hilariously confusing at best, and frustrating at its worst. The best way to substitute this is with "mindfulness practice/meditation".

There are also scientific benefits to this - such as the lowering of your brain's default mode network's activity, brain regions that negatively correlate with task positive regions (in other words, distractions go down and productivity goes up). The idea is to focus on a sensation (bodyscan) and when you mindwander, go back to focusing on said sensation. The goal is to become more aware of these sensations, and over time your ability to focus/attention span on sensations "can" increase.

I hate the word meditation, as it has a superstitious ring to it. Think of it as... brain training.

Here's a youtube video that touches on the topic:

Reactions: OliveBranch

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
As said before, try Si. Si is the function of familiarity and memorization. You use it any time you replay a conversation in your head, every time you work on a task that you are proficient at and every time you're studying for a test. If you want to train it, the easiest way might be to do it through Ne. When you have an idea, try and flesh out the details. Try to ask yourself, "sure, now how precisely would I go about doing that?"
Maybe train on just sitting in an environment and studying all of the features of the situation. What is that person wearing exactly (and have you seen them wear it before?), are there cracks in walls or certain types of flowers there? It's okay to let your imagination run away with it a bit, but remember to always return yourself to the situation and observe what is happening around you. In time, it will be a lot easier.

You could even try and befriend an ISXJ and try to learn from them firsthand.

Finally, don't hurry these kinds of things. Once your brain is up to it, you'll find yourself getting better at it anyways. With age, people's brains actually change to where they have automated their dominant and auxiliary functions and the brain automatically starts developing other functions (which for some people explains the midlife crisis phenomenon). If you want to speed up the process though, above tips might help you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts