Personality Cafe banner

Developing Weaker Functions=Well Rounded?.... Not According To This Guy!

8K views 43 replies 24 participants last post by  Cristina 19 
@The King Of Dreams
I have a book right in front of me atm by Dario Nardi that says for example for the ENFP to develop the Te, Si and Fe on top of the Ne and Fi. I've heard Nardi is one of the most credible sources for functions. Directly quoted from his book "8 Keys to Self Leadership":

You can realize your potential for self-leadership by understanding and practising the cognitive processes. But which cognitive processes are most practical or appropriate to explore and develop first?

First use the table (not included in this post)to locate which processes you prefer most. As you explore, consider this: noticing our own preferences is like noticing the air we breathe. Our preferences are ever present, perhaps taken for granted or unnoticed. Moreover, "preference" does not mean "can't use". Preference promotes use, and we need full mature use for peak performance.

Second, for each personality type pattern, the table (not included in post) suggests three processes to develop as good ways to unlock your potential. These three help balance and expand upon your existing gifts without competing with or undermining them. depending on your age and life experience, you may or may not have already developed these.

Finally, consider exploring and developing all eight to include them in your life in some way.
As you've asked for our opinions: I'll take Nardi's word over whomever this guy is.

Just want to clear some misconception: people seem to have a tendency to regard "well-roundedness" as developing everything to the same degree of proficiency, during the process of which their own sense of self, or uniqueness, will unhappily disappear. Fortunately, and as a matter of fact, this is not so, because this is akin to saying that developing your muscle can change your biology or DNA.
In short, it is a well known fact people absolutely need to develop other functions, even shadowy ones, in order to get the needed perspectives to successfully move around the world with a good understanding of themselves and others. "Well-groundedness" in this sense only means "opening up" extra mental channels so that you can receive more information both from the outside world (extroverted attitudes) and the inside world (introverted attitudes) to make better judgements for your dominant function to realize your goals.
Thank you. Precisely what I was trying to say because according to my source, if you completely ignore all but your preferred functions you end up with "blind spots" so he recommends trying for basic use of every function. Imagine if we went through life without even basic Ti or Fe for example and what a disaster that could be in the world.

Reactions: bluenlgy
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.