Personality Cafe banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellows, I was wondering if you could share some advice on something I cannot find a solution for. :smile:
I am a type 5 personality, with wings both in 4 and 6, INTP. My path in life has been less than clear.

The thing is, I cannot immerse myself too much in 5 activities. If I do, I will get lost. I lose touch with the outside world, I lose touch with time. I can completely immerse myself in books, literature, information of whatever kind. Usually, whenever I am in that mode, I do not exercise, do not catch fresh air, do not eat properly etc. :frustrating:
Still, I feel that it is my huge strength to collect and synthesize information. I know if I would practice accordingly, I could probably put it to work, e.g. as a writer or else.

But the truth is, I am really scared of that "5 mode" so that I avoided it over the last years. Instead, I opened a restaurant which requests a lot of extrovert energy from me and I realized this whole project drove me into an 8's direction (assertive, taking the lead, strong initiative...). My husband, who works in the restaurant with me, is also an 8 (though a peaceful one :)).

As the restaurant is running well an my husband is now able to take care of most things there, I was wondering what I should do next. :confused:

1 )One option is to continue working in the restaurant, meanwhile possibly expanding the business to other locations, or offering other services, etc. That would require a lot of 8 energy, and I know it would drain me, because this type of energy does exhausts me as it does not come easy to me. However, I did learn a lot and developed a lot of skills and strenghts in the last years using that energy. I have the clear feeling I profited from what I did and the experiences I gained. This got confirmed by the enneagram, which by the way, I discovered only recently. It says, if I understand correctly, that healthy 5s can/will/should? integrate towards 8s.

2) The second option would be to go back to my "natural" 5 activities. Taking that option, I would have to find ways to do this in a healthy way. I am wondering if I have to return to 5 to reach my full potential, as this is clearly my strengths and I think I will never be an outstanding 8, as this is simply not my type.

Whats your opinion on this? Are there any 5s around involved in an 8 like job/ activities?

Thanks a lot I greatly appreciate your points of view! :kiwi-fruit:

Dela, from Germany

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Are you referring to the direction of your career? Exhausting yourself certainly doesn't seem like a good idea.

You could work in the restaurant less and fill the rest of your time with activities that are more congenial to your type, or get a more 5-oriented job and supplement that with 8-oriented leisure activities.

·
Registered
160 Posts
If you move back towards five-related activities, are you looking for a job in that realm as opposed to working in the restaurant? If so, some type of teaching job sounds like something that might be a good fit for you; you'd get to dive into learning about a subject and then you'd get to take charge while teaching it. I have no idea what the requirements are for teaching in Germany or what time and resources are available to you, so I'm not entirely sure how realistic this is, but it's an idea if you're looking for one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts