Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if anyone actually knows the types of the enneagram creators?

The reason I ask is because I had a lot of trouble over the years trying to figure out which type I was dominantly, but my boyfriend and a lot of my friends are type 5s, they fit their descriptions exactly and all LOVE the system and think it is the most accurate personality tool out there.

So, do all 5s have this ease with deciding that they are 5s?

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
An answer....

"Contributions to the Enneagram" notes many different aspects to the original of the Enneagram so there isn't an easy answer to this. There is something to be said for 5 being the middle of the types in order so it is possible that a team of a 5 and a 1 could have put it together, as I find it funny how 1s are on top though that may just be me. The link notes various origin aspects to it and some names if you want to dig more into who was what type.

For what it's worth, I usually come out as a type 1 but 5 is sometimes my second highest in some tests out there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've always thought this too. I fit perfectly into 5 yet so many people scurry between numbers drifting and unsure. It makes me wonder why and come to the conclusion that its likely a 5 made the system since it all makes perfect sense to me as a 5.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Ease? No, sir. I struggled with my Enneagram type at first because everyone told me an ENTP couldn't be a Type 5. Furthermore, I don't quite fit into any type because you might say I was born...well, healthy. I don't really have any big issues that would indicate I'm one type over another right away. I'm too balanced for my own good, I guess!

After plenty of research I finally settled on Type 5, but there's always still that element of question. Well, not really...since no other type fits me any better, frankly. I'm generally pretty content with my 5w4-ness.

As for the types of the creators of the Enneagram, I can't say I have any idea, but I honestly don't think it relates.

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
Here are tha main doodz..

G. I. Gurdjieff - The enneagram figure used with the Enneagram of Personality was first brought to the attention of the modern world by G. I. Gurdjieff, though it was first published by P.D. Ouspensky, a student of Gurdjieff, in 1947 in his book In Search of the Miraculous. Although Gurdjieff used the figure to describe possibilities of human development, his concept of it was principally related to the symbolic communication of ancient knowledge and the "self-work" process through which people may develop insight rather than the categorizing of personality styles.

Oscar Ichazo assigned what he referred to as ego fixations to each of the nine points of the enneagram figure (which in his early teachings is usually called an enneagon). With a number of other dimensions of personality mapped with the enneagram figure, Ichazo's Enneagon of Ego Fixations formed the principal basis of the Enneagram of Personality as it is now usually understood. Some aspects of Enneagram of Personality teachings, however, are mainly derived from Claudio Naranjo who had studied with Ichazo in Chile.

Ichazo, from the 1950s, taught a program of self-development work that he calls "Protoanalysis" which uses the enneagram figure among many other symbols and ideas. Ichazo founded the Arica Institute which was originally based in Chile. The contemporary Arica School offers programs around the world in various aspects of Ichazo's work.

Claudio Naranjo, a Chilean-born, American-trained psychiatrist who extensively explored the theories of personality, studied with Ichazo in Chile. He then took Ichazo's teachings and further developed them, articulating nine personality types in Western psychological terms. Naranjo then brought his understanding of the Enneagram system to Berkeley, California, where he taught it to private students in the context of his own program of self-development work in the early 1970s.

Based on material first taught by Claudio Naranjo, authors such as Helen Palmer, Don Riso, Russ Hudson, Patrick O'Leary, Richard Rohr and Elizabeth Wagele began to publish the first widely read books on the Enneagram of Personality beginning in the 1980s and 1990s.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts