Personality Cafe banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious, because currently I'm in the first year of this school program.
What did you get? What subjects did you do? What were the types of your classmates?
I'm doing HL bio, chem and math [but I'll probably drop to SL, as I don't need it at HL) and SL economics, english and spanish. My school gives our predicted grades at the end of Y1, but from my current grades I predict myself: 7,6,6,7,5 (I suck at english), 7. So, 38. As for ToK and EE I don't know yet, although on the average I get 8 points for my ToK essays out of 10, so that's a low A or high B. So I guess I should at least get 2 extra points. (Therefore 40/41 points totally).
At my school,generally SJ types are dominating [but that's probably because they are very common].
Also, I've noticed that NT types are more likely to choose: Hl physics, math or economics.
NF types: english literature, languages, arts and biology.
SP types: chemistry(!), business and management, sports (I don't know the full name).
SJ types: history, geo, economics, chemistry.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I did IB a few years ago, finished it in 2014. I'm from Spain

My subjects were HL Math (6), HL Physics (5), HL Spanish (5), SL English as a foreign language (7), SL Geography (4), SL Chemistry (4), A in my EE, B in TOK, my score was 34. Only two people got a better grade (both 37s) out of 25 students, IB is quite different from Spanish Bac., and we did both of them at the same time.

As for the types of my classmates... it was quite long ago, so I don't remember anymore, and there weren't enough students to establish a pattern. Our choice of subject was limited, and we had to choose either HL Physics or HL Biology. I'd say there were more "N" types in the first one and more "S" types in the second.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I did IB, but if I'm being honest, I hated it. AP was a lot better for me.

It's been almost 4 years since I graduated high school, but if I remember right I took:
- IB Psychology (SL, no HL available)
- IB Biology
- IB English
- IB History
- Theory of Knowledge

It wasn't that bad, I guess, but the fact that the IB exams followed two years of class as opposed to one year really messed me up. The teachers taught to accommodate the IB exam itself, not to teach; my HL History class was essentially doing practice essays and document questions, and she would grade us based on how well we followed the IB guidelines. Psychology was iffy, I guess. The teacher was creepy so that ruined a lot of the experience for me personally.

I liked IB Biology a lot more, but Biology is my current field of study and I was into it even back then, so I would have had a good time regardless. IB English was a lot of fun.

Also, maybe it's just me being an SJ, but I absolutely hated Theory of Knowledge. The entire class was a big muddled pile of really bad philosophy and the conversation flow of every Socratic seminar went the same way: "How do we know what we know is true to be true when there is no way of knowing what knowledge is real?". For one project, we glued garbage from our bedroom trash cans together. I got full marks and the teacher told me that the way I glued three candy wrappers onto a shoe box indicated that I liked to go against the flow. Got better marks than my friend, who put at least three hours into hers.

That being said, I've talked to other IB students who took ToK and they actually really liked it. I think in this case it might have been the professor being wishy-washy as anything. A lot of Ne-types loved ToK.

Apologies for the long rant, I just really found myself hating it. My high school ended up phasing out AP for IB so we were kind of forced into it if we wanted to take college-level classes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts